Cutcliffe Out at Duke - Coastal Chaos

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
What happened with the diamond set was it very much limited our attack because we had maybe 3 plays out of it and it wasn't as mutable as the undercenter flex stuff and pistol flex was with the type of tweaks johnson did.

I'm including both the diamond and the pistol formations. And we were limited in what we could do from those sets, but that wasn't a product of the sets. It was a product of Johnson not really embracing them as there was a lot more out of those formations possible than we ever showed. We ran it to great success and then instead of trying to build off that success and diversify the attack from that formation we basically scrapped it right after the game.

Justin Thomas is why we abandoned the gun stuff.

That doens't really make sense. We more or less abandoned the gun stuff mid year while Vad was here. Like I said, it's been a while since I actually did the charting, but I'm pretty sure the miami game, game 5, was the last time that year we had any real significant number of plays from the gun (flex or diamond)

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I'm including both the diamond and the pistol formations. And we were limited in what we could do from those sets, but that wasn't a product of the sets. It was a product of Johnson not really embracing them as there was a lot more out of those formations possible than we ever showed. We ran it to great success and then instead of trying to build off that success and diversify the attack from that formation we basically scrapped it right after the game.

That doens't really make sense. We more or less abandoned the gun stuff mid year while Vad was here. Like I said, it's been a while since I actually did the charting, but I'm pretty sure the miami game, game 5, was the last time that year we had any real significant number of plays from the gun (flex or diamond)
Vad was not a willing student of diversifying the offense.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer

We ran a good amount of it on the georgia game and the bowl game as well

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
And Vad was timid about running certain plays. CPJ wanted him to occasionally go under center on short yardage downs and be willing to follow the B-back but Vad was averse to contact. CPJ wanted a truly diverse playbook but Vad was only comfortable in shotgun. Quarterbacks under Friedgen had to be willing to line up in the wishbone if called for but Vad was pretty resistant to getting out of his comfort zone.
Yes that hit against nc basically endes his will to run the offense

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't think we've seen Monken succeed other than the option right? So wouldn't it be risky to bring in a winning coach (with option) that switches the offensive style (in which he's not deeply familiar with) in the next gig? Didn't we see how that experiment play out with Vad, when you move away from your bread and butter?
Coaches at this level know more than just what they have been running recently, so what you are suggesting really applies to every coach out there.

No reason Monken cut do what any of the others can do. And he is a winner.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Coaches at this level know more than just what they have been running recently, so what you are suggesting really applies to every coach out there.

No reason Monken cut do what any of the others can do. And he is a winner.
Monken ain’t coming

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I don’t remember when, but there was a certain point in that season where I realized that Vad was scared to get hit. Which basically screwed up the entire system we were trying to run.
Everybody in the stands saw it. I don’t remember at what point in the season it was but I was like, “Uh oh.”

lastoption

Georgia Tech Fan
I think I remember CPJ going away from the diamond and pistol because he said it was not who we were. I don't think he liked changing his offense so much.
I think in the shotgun / pistol you are losing the most effective part of the offense which is how fast the b back gets through the line. If you are handing off several yards from scrimmage you have the same look and timing as everyone else using the basic read option out of the gun but under center the b back is extremely effective due to how quick hitting if you can get it going (give on TO, midline, straight dive). It’s a trade off of course because you are gaining time in the pass game but I do think you are losing quite a bit from the traditional offense if you are off the line.