Cutcliffe Out at Duke - Coastal Chaos

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Two new head coaches in the Coastal, Pickett gone at Pitt, Manny on the hot seat in Miami. Should be an interesting year next year.

Do we see the Monken (Duke) vs. Collins experiment?

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
No, I don’t think so. Army is probably a better job when including all intangibles than Duke. It would also not be pretty for CGC.

If I were Monken, I'd be ogling for Ken's job (if staying in the academy world). Would rather be in Annapolis over West Point any day!

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think Monken would come to Tech, but maybe not. Army has been a great post for him and they'll fight tooth and nail to keep him.

Oth, Bohannon would come to Tech in a minute. Problem = consistently winning big at KSU won't be a big attraction unless - as might be the case - everyone else we might want turns us down.

Oh, and btw: the people at Puke are nuts to let Cutliffe go. He's shown he can win there and that is a very hard thing to do. It's sorta like Texas A&M letting go of R. J. Slocum or UT easing out Fulmer.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
I think Monken would come to Tech, but maybe not. Army has been a great post for him and they'll fight tooth and nail to keep him.

Oth, Bohannon would come to Tech in a minute. Problem = consistently winning big at KSU won't be a big attraction unless - as might be the case - everyone else we might want turns us down.

Oh, and btw: the people at Puke are nuts to let Cutliffe go. He's shown he can win there and that is a very hard thing to do. It's sorta like Texas A&M letting go of R. J. Slocum or UT easing out Fulmer.

We're not doing the option again at Tech. I loved CPJ but the TO is done and done with.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
We're not doing the option again at Tech. I loved CPJ but the TO is done and done with.
Maybe … unless nobody who anyone thinks can pull our chestnuts out of the fire is willing to take the job. I've said before that right now Tech reminds me of GSU when they fired Sewak. They also went through a 4 year Purgatory under their version of Collins - VanGorder - and Chris Hatcher then hired - wait for it - Jeff Monken. Who brought back the TO and started the program winning again.

Will this happen at Tech? Who knows? I'm sure there are plenty of people who'll be against it and plenty more (ahem) who are for it. It will depend, like I said, on who we can get to take the program over when the present show hits the pavement. And that, in turn, will depend on how much money we put on the table. I'm guessing that won't be enough.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
He might if Geoff accepted him as both a mentor and an assistant. Cutcliffe probably is getting too old to deal with all that goes with being a head football coach but if he still loves the game and wants to stay involved, a role like I suggest might be a good fit for him. I doubt he needs a truckload of money and I just think it might be interesting to explore and review. He is known for being a great developer of QB's as well (i.e. Peyton Manning).

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
He might if Geoff accepted him as both a mentor and an assistant. Cutcliffe probably is getting too old to deal with all that goes with being a head football coach but if he still loves the game and wants to stay involved, a role like I suggest might be a good fit for him. I doubt he needs a truckload of money and I just think it might be interesting to explore and review. He is known for being a great developer of QB's as well (i.e. Peyton Manning).

He'd be a hell of an OC/QB coach.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer

The Monken ship has sailed . The athletic department has made zero indication we will move back to the option. We moved away for several reasons that have been discussed way too much now .
People complained during the CPJ years about how we should move away and we got that ,.now 3 bad seasons and suddenly everyone except the players want it back

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow
Guys, stop thinking one dimensional. Monken is Desirable because he is a winner and smart, not because he can run an option. He has already said he would change that up for the right location and conditions. That means something more like what we did under O’Leary, Fridge, and Joe Hamilton (remember all those option plays they used to run?) rather than what CPJ did.

Mentioning Monken does not mean option like what we had, but a mix of other things thrown in along with it with a smart, proven coach. TBH, if we HAD gone with Monken, I could have seen a gradual migration toward a more balanced system rather than a complete 180 like we did.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Guys, stop thinking one dimensional. Monken is Desirable because he is a winner and smart, not because he can run an option. He has already said he would change that up for the right location and conditions. That means something more like what we did under O’Leary, Fridge, and Joe Hamilton (remember all those option plays they used to run?) rather than what CPJ did.

Mentioning Monken does not mean option like what we had, but a mix of other things thrown in along with it with a smart, proven coach. TBH, if we HAD gone with Monken, I could have seen a gradual migration toward a more balanced system rather than a complete 180 like we did.

This monken basically runs to his personnel. When he went down to southern he originally had a ton of receivers (hatcher was an air raid guy) and ran maybe 50 percent out of the gun. Now he did bring jaybo with him to run option but they still threw a bit more than we did unfortunately given that they were FCS and espn and a lot of stat trackers just didn't bother then I can't show you the numbers. But when you have Jerick Mckinnon you get him the football however you can. It only took 2 years for him to be deep in the flex because in truth he couldn't recruit a QB that could throw as well as shaw and so he just went all in. At army he threw when he had a QB that could throw and had has finished games never throwing if the opponent doesn't stop something. I am also pretty sure he had a hand in helping develop the offense we tried to run with vad as southern used the same formations.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer

Maybe

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

Hard to break people from group think. They have repeated the word “option” for so long it is a foundational truth for them even though it was never even true when CPJ was here when you looked at how few plays were actual option plays. No, they will pass on the most qualified available coach for the job because a talking point is stuck in their head. Some day the right school is going to offer Monken and they are going to enjoy a long run with an eventual hall of fame coach.