Cutcliffe Out at Duke - Coastal Chaos

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I'm including both the diamond and the pistol formations. And we were limited in what we could do from those sets, but that wasn't a product of the sets. It was a product of Johnson not really embracing them as there was a lot more out of those formations possible than we ever showed. We ran it to great success and then instead of trying to build off that success and diversify the attack from that formation we basically scrapped it right after the game.

That doens't really make sense. We more or less abandoned the gun stuff mid year while Vad was here. Like I said, it's been a while since I actually did the charting, but I'm pretty sure the miami game, game 5, was the last time that year we had any real significant number of plays from the gun (flex or diamond)
Turned out Lee couldn't operate from the shotgun, either, and Johnson dumped it. Monken has several plays from the gun after he decided his WB was getting jammed up at the LOS on 3rd down, but Army remains a Johnson offense in all other aspects.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Turned out Lee couldn't operate from the shotgun, either, and Johnson dumped it. Monken has several plays from the gun after he decided his WB was getting jammed up at the LOS on 3rd down, but Army remains a Johnson offense in all other aspects.
Yeah, weird how people blame CPJ for a quarterback who consistently resisted learning the offensive plays. I liked Vad but he ended up not being P5 material.