Custis, Hunt-Days not eligible for ’14 football season

Animal02

Banned
The good news is that when I went to GT and soon after, the football program was mostly insignificant. 1980-89 One coach and one group of players changed all of that in 1990, so I still believe it is possible to see football greatness on the flats again.

With that said, 2014 is a different time, and high school fb players are not being prepared for a GT education in most cases, at least not the top 25-35% of them. That is why I am so negative about our chances of turning this thing around.

Whoever is our coach for 2015 forward, he MUST recruit everywhere aggressively. In other parts of the country, not so much the SE, there are guys that would want the GT degree and academic challenge, although they are hard to find. (I am from NW GA, so I am not a biased person against the south, but it is what it is)
I feel your pain....was at Tech from 78-83......it took years to become a fan again.

JazzyD95

Ramblin' Wreck
Are you still a Tech student?
Yes I am. Sophomore, grew up my whole life rooting for the yellow jackets and my parents and grandparents went here. In regards to what the other people said: yes the "woa is me attitude" applies to most people here. But as for myself I road trip with my brothers regularly to other colleges and frequent buckhead. The fact is that there is fun to be had in Atlanta. But the campus itself am be abismal to what other places are. And kids see that. No one wants to go to a school and be mentally assulted for 5plus years, work thier asses off to play a sport that the campus doesn't even support sadly, and have a dismal atmosphere at all times. Face facts, tech is a rough place to be.

Bule

Jolly Good Fellow
I went to GT for 7 years and worked my *** off in school but did more than my share of partying as well. I think you exaggerate the schools atmosphere a little. Grass is always greener elsewhere but GT is like anywhere and will get behind its athletics a lot more when our sports teams out worth rooting for. I was in school throughout the early to mid 90s and you didn't see how our campus and game atmospheres were for basketball and football when we had won the national championship in football and went to final four in basketball. People at GT work hard but also have plenty of pent up frustration, so when given a reason may surprise you with how hard they celebrate.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
I will make sure my son does not read this ... We actually enjoy the " Gameday atmosphere " when we come to games . Students look like they are having a blast , looks like a group that works hard and parties hard on the weekend . Don't take this wrong , but some Tech fans do more damage than the other schools coaches in the recruiting process .

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I will make sure my son does not read this ... We actually enjoy the " Gameday atmosphere " when we come to games . Students look like they are having a blast , looks like a group that works hard and parties hard on the weekend . Don't take this wrong , but some Tech fans do more damage than the other schools coaches in the recruiting process .

True.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Eric, it's going to be interesting to sit back today see the comments your response to flea generate :) For the record I concur with your response. I don't think I've ever seen a fan base quite like Tech's

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Yes I am. Sophomore, grew up my whole life rooting for the yellow jackets and my parents and grandparents went here. In regards to what the other people said: yes the "woa is me attitude" applies to most people here. But as for myself I road trip with my brothers regularly to other colleges and frequent buckhead. The fact is that there is fun to be had in Atlanta. But the campus itself am be abismal to what other places are. And kids see that. No one wants to go to a school and be mentally assulted for 5plus years, work thier asses off to play a sport that the campus doesn't even support sadly, and have a dismal atmosphere at all times. Face facts, tech is a rough place to be.

Saying there's fun to be Atlanta as a sidenote is pretty disingenuous. That's a pretty big part of the package. You sound like everyone else who gave up on having a good time before they even got there. I don't get why this happens but it's obnoxious. Tech's tough but it's not the internment camp you and others make it out to be. I'm not sure what your expectations are of a campus but they're unrealistic.

Don't take this wrong , but some Tech fans do more damage than the other schools coaches in the recruiting process .

I completely agree. I've said it before on this board but Tech fans are some of the worst sports fans I've seen. And I'm not talking about the lack of support or whatever. A not insignificant number of those who actually follow the team are whiny, self loathing, have a massive inferiority complex, and are constantly looking for the next thing to prove that everything sucks about the program.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer

Would it be good if there were a set of bars closer than buckhead to campus? Yes. That's really the only downside for us versus other colleges from my experience. If you truly feel our campus is dead, then you need to be more active outside of your fraternity. I never understood the complaints about ratio and lack of parties. I partied three or more times a week and girls from four different colleges consistently came to our campus for fun every weekend.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
conspiracy theory #1 - perhaps an elite NFL draft prospect, after seeing the criticism heaped upon Jadaveon Clownie for tiptoeing through his final collegiate season, decides to let his grades slip just enough to become ineligible. Thus avoiding the scorn and ridicule heaped upon Mr. Clownie , preserving the legs for paid 'big boy" football and avoiding the risk of injury. hmmmmm.

Animal02

Banned
Would it be good if there were a set of bars closer than buckhead to campus? Yes. That's really the only downside for us versus other colleges from my experience. If you truly feel our campus is dead, then you need to be more active outside of your fraternity. I never understood the complaints about ratio and lack of parties. I partied three or more times a week and girls from four different colleges consistently came to our campus for fun every weekend.

I was in a frat.....but also got involved in the DramaTech.......the ratio was much better there...the parties were better/for frequent....and we flew under the radar unlike the frats. I had a blast at Tech......yes I spent a lot of time in the studio (slept in my own bed 4 times my last quarter) but those are memories that last a lifetime. :)

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
conspiracy theory #1 - perhaps an elite NFL draft prospect, after seeing the criticism heaped upon Jadaveon Clownie for tiptoeing through his final collegiate season, decides to let his grades slip just enough to become ineligible. Thus avoiding the scorn and ridicule heaped upon Mr. Clownie , preserving the legs for paid 'big boy" football and avoiding the risk of injury. hmmmmm.

Clowney could have just sat out this year before going to the draft...and many wanted him to do that. But he decided to play...He played better than you may think. He played hard.

And if you don't want to play you can just sit out instead of letting grades drop.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder

Clowney could have just sat out this year before going to the draft...and many wanted him to do that. But he decided to play...He played better than you may think. He played hard.

And if you don't want to play you can just sit out instead of letting grades drop.

Bule

Jolly Good Fellow
Agree with many of the posts here. Some of our fan base who likes to come on these boards and b@tch and moan about lack of support , bad atmosphere etc really get on my nerves. If you look at things a little more positively in life, tech is actually the best of both worlds. You get top quality education and Ivy League like atmosphere with generally very good athletics to root for to boot. On top of that you have one of the best party cities in America to live in. Some people will never be satisfied in life. So classes can be difficult. Boohoo

DCSS

Ramblin' Wreck
When I was at Tech, we had Grumpy's, PJ's Nest, The Wreck Room, and the 3rd St. Pub close by. Then there was Buckhead, Midtown, Little Five Points, and Virginia Highlands if you wanted to travel away from campus. For the Spring Party, girls from colleges in surrounding states would travel to the Tech campus.

Successful Tech students were organized and able to schedule a time for work and a time for fun.

Essobee

Jolly Good Fellow
Tech has been very rough for a long time and that's what I like most about it. Tech is not for prima donnas, no matter how bright or how athletically gifted they may be. Tech is for people who want to work, who like to work, and who can advance through work.

Back in the day (the 1950s) we were on the quarter system and required 230+ hours to graduate, depending on our major. Divide that by 12 quarters and you can get a picture of our work load. 7% of students graduated on time and 2/3rds flunked out or left. When I graduated, a 2.7 GPA put me in the top 10% of my class. Labs were numerous, we had Saturday classes, and lots of students attended during summer quarter just in order to catch up. Co-eds? We had about 50.

Our small campus was called the Asphalt Jungle for very good reason. Our only air conditioned building was the library. We had football success under Dodd and basketball was reasonably good, but it took Cremins several decades later to take basketball to the next level. All the other sports were just...meh. For nearby entertainment, there was Harry's and frat parties, but who had much spare time for entertainment anyway?

Did we fuss, moan, and groan? Of course. But would we have traded the Tech experience for an easy ride at a party school? Not a chance. Because after Tech, everything else is just a walk in the park. EVERYTHING!! Believe me, I know.

Tech separates the men from the boys. And those boys who don't have the mentality can just stay boys; but they won't be able to do it at Tech, no matter how bright or athletically gifted they are when they arrive on campus. Tech is tough, Tech draws out the best in people, and THAT is what makes me proud to be a Tech man. All the football, basketball, golf, tennis, baseball, etc. wins and championships...that is merely delicious icing that adds to the taste of the cake.

EOR

DCSS

Ramblin' Wreck
Tech has been very rough for a long time and that's what I like most about it. Tech is not for prima donnas, no matter how bright or how athletically gifted they may be. Tech is for people who want to work, who like to work, and who can advance through work.

Back in the day (the 1950s) we were on the quarter system and required 230+ hours to graduate, depending on our major. Divide that by 12 quarters and you can get a picture of our work load. 7% of students graduated on time and 2/3rds flunked out or left. When I graduated, a 2.7 GPA put me in the top 10% of my class. Labs were numerous, we had Saturday classes, and lots of students attended during summer quarter just in order to catch up. Co-eds? We had about 50.

Our small campus was called the Asphalt Jungle for very good reason. Our only air conditioned building was the library. We had football success under Dodd and basketball was reasonably good, but it took Cremins several decades later to take basketball to the next level. All the other sports were just...meh. For nearby entertainment, there was Harry's and frat parties, but who had much spare time for entertainment anyway?

Did we fuss, moan, and groan? Of course. But would we have traded the Tech experience for an easy ride at a party school? Not a chance. Because after Tech, everything else is just a walk in the park. EVERYTHING!! Believe me, I know.

Tech separates the men from the boys. And those boys who don't have the mentality can just stay boys; but they won't be able to do it at Tech, no matter how bright or athletically gifted they are when they arrive on campus. Tech is tough, Tech draws out the best in people, and THAT is what makes me proud to be a Tech man. All the football, basketball, golf, tennis, baseball, etc. wins and championships...that is merely delicious icing that adds to the taste of the cake.

EOR
That was beautiful. Thank you.

Bravo.gif

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer

EOR

Excellent post. I currently manage about 35 Engineers from various backgrounds. My Engineers are usually entry level folks straight from college. My company has had a tremendous amount of trouble trying to adapt to the millennial generation. It is not that the young men and women coming in are not smart, it is just that they have no differentiation between work life and social life. For instance coming to work on time consistently is a huge struggle. So, we did a company wide study of the hours worked and performance of about 300 entry level Engineers. The GT graduates out performed other schools so much that my company plans to shut down recruitment efforts at NCST and Clemson to focus on getting more Engineers from GT. There is a GT difference in the work force and I am extremely proud to be part of it.

As an aside the GT Engineers averaged putting in about 25% more hours per week and carried a more difficult work load on average.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I completely agree. I've said it before on this board but Tech fans are some of the worst sports fans I've seen. And I'm not talking about the lack of support or whatever. A not insignificant number of those who actually follow the team are whiny, self loathing, have a massive inferiority complex, and are constantly looking for the next thing to prove that everything sucks about the program.
I'm surrounded by Tennessee fans every day and I must say that we have a LONG way to go to reach this level.

DCSS

Ramblin' Wreck
Excellent post. I currently manage about 35 Engineers from various backgrounds. My Engineers are usually entry level folks straight from college. My company has had a tremendous amount of trouble trying to adapt to the millennial generation. It is not that the young men and women coming in are not smart, it is just that they have no differentiation between work life and social life. For instance coming to work on time consistently is a huge struggle. So, we did a company wide study of the hours worked and performance of about 300 entry level Engineers. The GT graduates out performed other schools so much that my company plans to shut down recruitment efforts at NCST and Clemson to focus on getting more Engineers from GT. There is a GT difference in the work force and I am extremely proud to be part of it.

As an aside the GT Engineers averaged putting in about 25% more hours per week and carried a more difficult work load on average.

You should probably see the training video on hiring Millennials.