Cuse Postgame

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone have any plausible explanation on why the hit on haynes King was NOT targeting?? I heard what Wes said that alledgedly came from the ACC replay reviewers but that explanation did not really answer anything imo.
Yes, that is the question. Wes simply read the statement without comment. There was a brief silence in the booth as the two guys who get paid to announce ACC games decided to just move on. To me it was a damning silence.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Also, on the early interception, I know everyone around me thought the flag was going to be for PI since it looked like the DB pushed Singleton to go for the ball. Was that not the case?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Today, can Key be "the savior genius coach" is not a valid question.
He and Batt have been hired to build by Angel a foundation. Key s joy was for the way the guys played but especially for the end of game statement drive. That man on man gut check drive showed me we are winners who hate to lose.

As winners who hate to lose Gt is going to attract players, coaches, fans.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Glad for the team, especially for the seniors who had not been to a bowl game. A longing fulfilled is a tree of life (Prov 13:12).

The wide screens, for most of season, have not been effective. And yet they keep running this play, at least three times last night. I cringe every time King throws out there.
We are not the only ones. Offensive coordinators have become fascinated with the silly play and defensive backs are right in the receivers grills in a New York second. I will say that years ago, Florida beat UGA running a variety of plays off that wide receiver screen but they had a big wide body receiver and a couple of guys who could block. Georgia could not stop it so Zook kept running it. Seems Miami beat us a few years ago with it but on the whole, especially this year it seldom works. But they keep calling it.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
We really needed the win last night. The perception for recruits and media will be that Tech is climbing slowly out of the abyss that it has been in for five years. Blowouts are nice but for me, just win baby.
Last night's game was so pivotal I didn't even want to mention it beforehand. I don't want to think about where we'd be right now had we lost.
It was an incredibly crucial win. A big sigh of relief for everyone involved with the program, from Brent Key and J. Batt down to the fans.

Thwg777

Jolly Good Fellow
I’ve been fairly negative and am happy at 6-5.

Obviously much to do with climbing out of the chasm left by Goof. And it’s not my new permanent lowered expectations. But let’s not forget we’re 5-3 in ACC play with wins over two ranked teams. Additionally we’ve had leads in 4 of the 5 losses. It’s more than ‘just’ 6 wins to me. Sure losing to Bowling Green and Boston College sucked but 6 wins would be worse if we had beat them and suffered blowout losses to anyone with a pulse.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
This is my general reaction but since this was reviewed at the big muckety-muck ACC command and control center and they said it was helmet to helmet contact in the dangerous head and neck area but they saw no evidence of targeting, I’m willing to give them one more fking chance to explain this to me like I’m a 3rd grader.

I’ll be happy to get into the nuances of targeting with anyone but I just want an official explanation THAT MAKES SENSE as to why that was not targeting.

It's all bowl sh*t. How does one ever see "evidence of targeting". It's a judgment call that is totally subjective. The initial explanation makes no sense on its face.

I see no path back to logic. Only more word spaghetti until the sane party throws their hands up in disgust then walks away.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Great win--not because Syracuse is a great football team, but we needed to show that we can beat the teams we should beat in order to prove the progress that we have all seen this year. No, its not amazing success, but it is a GREAT step in the right direction, and certainly something to celebrate. Here are some things about the actual football game that I saw with my amateur eye:

-We came out with a good plan on defense and executed it (mostly) well. Kudos to the defensive staff for being ready and putting the players in the right position! It looked to me like we kept 3 LBs out there at all times and rolled the safeties in too.
-Speaking of LBs, I am buying stock in #44. Efford has been a revelation, and now he has an INT to go with his game leading 11 tackles. He takes good angles, is hard to block, hits hard and wraps us well. He now lead the team in tackles.
-Haynes King is one tough dude. He takes a lot of hits. Jamal Haynes is also a really tough runner and hard to take down.
-Singleton is such a talented receiver but he has dropped the equivalent of 150-200 yards in the last two games. I don't think I saw him drop one pass before this.
-How about a big round of applause for Aiden Birr?
-We need to fix the punt return issues.
-I'm really proud of the team's response in the fourth quarter. Almost everything went wrong in the 3rd quarter and they could have folded. But they stayed mentally strong and finished the game. I think they are more and more taking on the character of their coach, and that's a good thing.

Go Jackets! Let's do it again next week.
Efford reminds me a little bit of a former Tech player from Albany, Darryl Smith. Not the fastest guy, but took good angles, wrapped up and when an errant pass came his way he showed good hands. Not the tallest guy or the biggest but a fine player for Coach Gailey.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
This is dumb. All of the talk of joy and being miserable is just you guys projecting your own desired emotions onto other people. You have no idea what I feel, nor is it relevant. I actually feel fine tonight if you must know. Im just disappointed with tonight's performance and the season in general. Feel free to disagree without pretending to be Dr Phil.

Did you watch any of the games or nah? Our offense went from being dead last in the country to top 25 in one full year. If no one enters the portal we will have 19 returning starters on both sides of the ball next year. Auburn with their first year head coach just had the largest loss to an underdog in the last 40 years of the SEC, Colorado was taken to the woodshed by mediocre teams. Tech was a fumble away from beating 10-1 Louisville and has been in every game this season except Clemson. If you can’t see the gradual improvement you must have never ran a company or owned a business as the progress year over year is similar when judging your results.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
We are not the only ones. Offensive coordinators have become fascinated with the silly play and defensive backs are right in the receivers grills in a New York second. I will say that years ago, Florida beat UGA running a variety of plays off that wide receiver screen but they had a big wide body receiver and a couple of guys who could block. Georgia could not stop it so Zook kept running it. Seems Miami beat us a few years ago with it but on the whole, especially this year it seldom works. But they keep calling it.
I have a slight disagreement. The wide receiver screen does not work if it’s the only weapon in your quiver like Syracuse. But Miami has used it effectively this year in virtually every game and, for us, it has mainly worked at keeping the defense honest and spreading the field.

I too get nervous about a loss, fumble, or interception when we run it but I think it becomes more and more effective if other parts of the game are working. CPJ used this play very effectively when BeyBey was our wideout. But, mainly, WHEN you run it is key. Syracuse telegraphed this play every time and our defense was just sitting on it.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Let him go. He is entitled to his opinion. After all, the beauty of a football forum is the Monday morning quarterbacking that entitles know nothings and keyboard warriors like myself to pontificate and let steam out. It is a form of therapy to lower my blood pressure.
😂 So some people’s method for lowering blood pressure is to intentionally try and raise other’s. NOW I understand what trolling means after all these years. 😄

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I'm so happy and tired and still a little drunk. Happy for the coaches and happy for the players, But in all honesty these night games are killing this old man. I get all wind up and can't go to sleep till after 2 am and have to get up and take the dog out to do her business thinking it would be easier to just clean it up inside.
the dog is optional.....football and booze isn't. Get rid of the dog.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Yes, that is the question. Wes simply read the statement without comment. There was a brief silence in the booth as the two guys who get paid to announce ACC games decided to just move on. To me it was a damning silence.
The only thing I can think of is that they felt it looked more like incidental contact. He lowered his head a bit but didn't hit exactly with the crown of the helmet, but rather the "forehead" of it for lack of a better term. In my view, though, consistency required it to be called targeting, though I did think it was somewhat in a gray area. That being said, I thought we got more breaks from the refs than went the other way. On their TD that got called back, I thought surely somebody was going to get tagged for unnecessary roughness (or a late hit) in the end zone up around the helmet area, but the p.f. went against Syracuse.