Cuse Game Thread

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
If we shot 36% from deep we would be undefeated. But we don't so we aren't.

It's funny how perspectives differ person to person and board to board, the one thing that I am high on that a lot of fans are down on with this team and I said it in chat many times tonight:

Travis Jorgenson.

When this kid is a jr/sr he is gonna be a top 6 ACC pg. His shot is looking.....a little better, he still has the load up although it's getting less and less and he doesn't elevate much but I expect next season you see that leg at 100% he will make big strides, he's not great on the ball defender but he has great instincts off the ball and defended the break well on a couple occasions last night. He pushes the ball up the wings by getting the ball off the floor well (see the MGH and-1)

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
If we shot 36% from deep we would be undefeated. But we don't so we aren't.

It's funny how perspectives differ person to person and board to board, the one thing that I am high on that a lot of fans are down on with this team and I said it in chat many times tonight:

Travis Jorgenson.

When this kid is a jr/sr he is gonna be a top 6 ACC pg. His shot is looking.....a little better, he still has the load up although it's getting less and less and he doesn't elevate much but I expect next season you see that leg at 100% he will make big strides, he's not great on the ball defender but he has great instincts off the ball and defended the break well on a couple occasions last night. He pushes the ball up the wings by getting the ball off the floor well (see the MGH and-1)

Travis is really looking good in the open floor. However, he needs to be more of an outside threat before teams will respect him from about 15 feet out. Right now, his shot takes too long to develop so opposing guards can sag to help on Charles or the wing guys. If the opposing point guard is always digging on the post or dropping deep enough to deny the entry pass our offense is severely hampered.

When I was playing college hoops we had a rule that the post should get a touch before any outside shot. And we had some shooters. With us not having that luxury, it is even more important that the post entry pass be a comfortable option. But given how much sagging Cuse was doing, I am surprised the skip pass was not open more often. What troubles me about our offense is that we cannot seem to get an open shot, even with defenses sagging on the post. When we finally get an opening, it frequently appears to be in a near panic to beat the shot clock.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Sigh. This season is like taking Nyquil for the first time. Not the 'flavored' kind but that old school Nyquil that tasted like something you're supposed to put in your car. You just take it, you know it's just a step in the process of you getting better afterwards.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Another disappointing close loss. Have to win these to move forward as a program.

The scary part is that this program is considerably better than it was 4 years ago, but is still where we are now.

I hoped after 4 years Gregory would have us as a solid middle of the pack ACC program (that to me was his likely ceiling), looking we might fall slightly short of that, but i'll wait until we are much deeper in the season to lose hope completely.

I agree... it is so disappointing.. this team hustles and competes, plays good enough defense, we have owned the boards in just about every game this year (especially on the offensive end), but this has to be one of the worst shooting teams that I've ever seen.

All kidding aside, I have been around the game of basketball for a really long time, and I am hard pressed to remember a team on any level that shot the ball this poorly! Half our looks were wide open, and we couldn't even draw iron. Tadric and Bolden had to have like 6 air-balls between the two of them, and then Bolden settles for a three at the buzzer when he had time to get a better look... whaaaa?. @orientalnc was exactly right earlier this week.. Any team that doesn't zone us needs their head examined.

Despite how poorly Syracuse has played their zone this year, Boeheim is no dummy. They sagged their zone and cut off any lanes for penetration - especially in the second half - and that was all that she wrote. When you don't have to respect a team's outside shooting, and you can pack the zone, it makes it that much more effective.

It certainly didn't help matters than when we got a look in transition or the few times we did get into the paint, we missed bunnies as well. I think that Cox missed about 5 attempts from within 2 feet. This team is absolutely putrid with regard to perimeter shooting. Like you, I also hoped that we would be further along at this point, but without something drastic happening on the offensive end, Gregory will be lucky to see another season.

xenoabe

Jolly Good Fellow
Bad shooting is a product of the type of recruit CBG is looking for, the level he's recruited at, and the system he runs. I love CBG as a guy but I just don't think it's working.

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
Half our looks were wide open, and we couldn't even draw iron. Tadric and Bolden had to have like 6 air-balls between the two of them

This is what baffles me, and yet at the same time, gives me the slimmest glimmer of hope that this cannot continue. Like I said above, we have absolutely no offensive gameplan (which is completely on Gregory), but even when we do get open shots, they don't even come close to going in. How could all these shooters who were average or above average 3 point shooters in high school become the worst 3 point shooting team in the country? Has Gregory changed everyones shot formation or something? It makes no sense to me

Ramblingon

Ramblin' Wreck
Somehow CBG needs to find a way to break this team out of going cold. It seems to be a team-wide thing, and we stop trying to penetrate, just looking for shots that aren't our strong suit. SG continues to be our problem. PG is much better this year, but if your wings can't nail a basket it doesn't help much. And we need to realize that Jackson is not a 3 pt. shooter, but a guy to drive and create.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Sad. Competing enough to have a chance at the end of games with good teams, but falling on our faces when given the opportunity to take a step forward.

I keep thinking, "our shots have got to start falling at some point, right? right?" ...

Regardless, I'll keep cheering for them! Why? They are my team, that's why!

I'm with you.. I have been telling myself the same thing, but oddly enough, it seems like the misses are getting uglier and uglier.

No exaggeration, we had almost 10 airballs last night.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Sad. Competing enough to have a chance at the end of games with good teams, but falling on our faces when given the opportunity to take a step forward.

I keep thinking, "our shots have got to start falling at some point, right? right?" ...

This is the right attitude to have. No matter your opinion of the coach, there are student-athletes working hard and putting on the GT shirt, representing us. They deserve all of our support, warts & all.

I'll also note, that while we've all been justifiably disappointed at times by play this season, I'll applaud the people posting on this board. Despite plenty of different POVs, everyone here is generally supportive of the players.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

I dont mind losing games to decent teams close as much as it bothers me when we struggle so mightilly agaisnt teams we should destroy. We shouldnt struggle against Rider. We shouldnt lose to Marquette. IPFW shouldnt expect (and they did) to hang with us. Put your foot on their throat and knock em out. I havent seeen that in a GT team in years. More of the "ho hum" and coast sort.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I dont mind losing games to decent teams close as much as it bothers me when we struggle so mightilly agaisnt teams we should destroy. We shouldnt struggle against Rider. We shouldnt lose to Marquette. IPFW shouldnt expect (and they did) to hang with us. Put your foot on their throat and knock em out. I havent seeen that in a GT team in years. More of the "ho hum" and coast sort.
I'm in total agreement on "foot on the neck" concept, but I'm not sure I've seen it in my time as a GT fan at all, dating back to my FR year with Travis Best & James Forrest. I wish we'd hang a 40-pt win on someone, the way dook does to us sometimes.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Did not watch the game...and from the sounds of it, it was a good thing. No need to ruin a perfectly mundane Wednesday night.

Here's the thing: CBG's teams compete, and they are rarely blown out. I respect that because it means the guys are still listening to the coaches and trying. However, this stat floating on the twitterverse pretty much sums up CBG's time at GT:

Georgia Tech is 18-39 in ACC games decided by 5 points or less or in OT since 2006

O
bviously CBG tenure doesn't reach all the way back to 2006, but his tenure has contributed to that record. There are no moral victories...a one point loss is the same as a 20 point loss...at the end of the day, it's a loss. We could be 2-0 in the ACC right now, instead we're 0-2.

I was excited about the prospects when the season started with the play of Charles Mitchell and Demarco Cox, and Heath's understated game at PG...but I've quickly lost that excitement. This team is more of the same for CBG's other teams...they do just enough to tease you that a breakthrough is just around the corner. Eventually, you get tired of banging your head against the wall and realize it hurts and probably not good for your brain.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Did not watch the game...and from the sounds of it, it was a good thing. No need to ruin a perfectly mundane Wednesday night.

Here's the thing: CBG's teams compete, and they are rarely blown out. I respect that because it means the guys are still listening to the coaches and trying. However, this stat floating on the twitterverse pretty much sums up CBG's time at GT:

Georgia Tech is 18-39 in ACC games decided by 5 points or less or in OT since 2006

O
bviously CBG tenure doesn't reach all the way back to 2006, but his tenure has contributed to that record. There are no moral victories...a one point loss is the same as a 20 point loss...at the end of the day, it's a loss. We could be 2-0 in the ACC right now, instead we're 0-2.

I was excited about the prospects when the season started with the play of Charles Mitchell and Demarco Cox, and Heath's understated game at PG...but I've quickly lost that excitement. This team is more of the same for CBG's other teams...they do just enough to tease you that a breakthrough is just around the corner. Eventually, you get tired of banging your head against the wall and realize it hurts and probably not good for your brain.

FWIW, Matt's worth a follow. He puts good info out there.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

FWIW, Matt's worth a follow. He puts good info out there.

Thanks, DTM.

That was where I got the record from. Good breakdown of CBG's tenure...A LOT better than I originally thought...definitely better than Hewitt's. Like I said earlier, it's rare CBG's team gets blown out and they are almost always competitive with other teams. I just wish we'd win more of those than we lose, and look a lot better on the offensive side of the ball. Tough to sit through games we are competitive in, but watch us lose in ugly ways. For me time is a valuable commodity, so I'd rather invest it in other things rather than something than frustrates me.