Current Environment

YJAlleyCat

Jolly Good Fellow
Who has to be at work at 7 am? Especially today, with so much work-at-home, I would expect the number of Tech fans that have to be at work at 7 am is very small.
I was supposed to be at work at 7am and had to trade with someone to get out of it. Would have been a rough day with <5 hrs of sleep otherwise. Glad to have an understanding colleague (he is also a GT alum).

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I was supposed to be at work at 7am and had to trade with someone to get out of it. Would have been a rough day with <5 hrs of sleep otherwise. Glad to have an understanding colleague (he is also a GT alum).
All of these "I have to work at 7am" comments are irrelevant. Most people, especially office workers, don't start work before 8 am.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
All of these "I have to work at 7am" comments are irrelevant. Most people, especially office workers, don't start work before 8 am.
They may not matter to you but that doesn’t make it irrelevant. I am a morning person so I get to work at 7 even though work “doesn’t start “ until 8:30. That’s the most productive part of the day for me.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
They may not matter to you but that doesn’t make it irrelevant. I am a morning person so I get to work at 7 even though work “doesn’t start “ until 8:30. That’s the most productive part of the day for me.
I get this. I usually am at work between 6:30 and 8:00 am too. But We are the outliers. We're talking about Tech fans being able to go to games that start at 9pm. The vast majority of fans don't have to be at work at 7am the next morning. There are always going to be those that do, but we're talking about thousands of people not 1s and 2s from this site. Besides, we're not talking about every day of the week. You guys are all totally missing the point.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Some people have to work for a living and be in an office to do so. 🤷🏽‍♂️
Not only that but even today almost 70% of all jobs can not be done from home. We all kinda live in a white collar bubble. All these WFH stuff is ignoring the vast majority who cant.
The workers in my factory can not build products from home. That would be a crazy conveyor system. Whats ironic is one of the guys is a die hard Tech basketball fan and complained to me about the late game.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Yeah. If polled I think very few people have to be at work at 7 am. Most offices open at 8 am. Almost all of us work for a living. But, thanks for the snark.
I could start at 8:00, but choose start earlier so if I leave it 4:30 I don't feel the least bit guilty.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I could start at 8:00, but choose start earlier so if I leave it 4:30 I don't feel the least bit guilty.
Mothers drove our change. They prefer dropping their kids off at pre-school day care & being in line at school dismissal to pick up their kids. Rest of the staff has come to prefer it- you get off earlier for long weekends opening up non-vacation time options, doctor & dentist appointment are easier to arrange, you can be home to meet workers, etc.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
I get this. I usually am at work between 6:30 and 8:00 am too. But We are the outliers. We're talking about Tech fans being able to go to games that start at 9pm. The vast majority of fans don't have to be at work at 7am the next morning. There are always going to be those that do, but we're talking about thousands of people not 1s and 2s from this site. Besides, we're not talking about every day of the week. You guys are all totally missing the point.
Yeah, but @YJAlleyCat is an awesome fan, because even if she hadn’t been able to rearrange her work schedule, and had to be at work at 7am the next day, she still would have been at the game, right there next to me.

GTBlaze

Banned
We don't have fans in the stands. Shoot, we don't have folks at bball games. Todd is arguing with folks in Callaway every bball game defending his decision on Collins.

UGA lost and I felt GREAT! Maybe there is hope. I believe in Todd and his vision. Look at VB- sweet sixteen tonight, Women's Bball - top 25, swim team top 15. He's a Tech man. Trust him. I don't believe in Collins but believe in Todd.
I agree! It seems every sport is kicking *** except for football. Men’s BB - ACC!

I just don’t see why everybody dislikes him

Our facilities is look great and ADIDAS and every sport seems to be doing very well except for football

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I live up by Lanier. I watched it at a friend’s house and was home at 12. If I’d gone to this game I wouldn’t be home until 1AM.

I miss going to basketball games. But getting out to a weeknight game when you have two kids under 5 is a tough sell. Even a 7 pm game is pretty late to keep them out and it’s not too easy to convince your wife you’ll be out every third night alone not helping feed, bathe, or put them to bed. I can make only make a few a year right now. Once they’re older I’ll make a lot more.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Relax. I have season tix to the Auburn Tigers games as a faculty member. AU is 7-1 and hasn't even come close to filing the arena. The students are there (but they won't be for the rest of December) but the arena itself is probably 50%. This will ALL change once SEC play starts ... those games are standing room only.

It's early yet. Enjoy the holidays. I'm looking forward to ACC play.

Jetdrive3

Jolly Good Fellow
Baseball is our most consistent major sport* NCAA tournament team. Let's hope baseball has a break out year. Not "just" getting to NCAAs consistently but going the next step. And baseball doesn'tt get the fans either.

I don't think Stansbury is responsible for as much as he is blamed or credited. In baseball, we have a long term stable program unlike other sports. In football, which is the most visible sport, he made a risky deal with the 7 year contract and large buyout. That deal hasn't panned out and is looking less likely to do so. So that one area over shadows everything else; so I agree with your points.

*Major sport is football, M&W basketball, baseball. Volleyball may make it up there. Golf is not what I'd call a major sport, but is probably our best NCAA tourney performer considering all varsity sports.
From internal funding standpoint only men’s football and basketball are major sports.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Who has to be at work at 7 am? Especially today, with so much work-at-home, I would expect the number of Tech fans that have to be at work at 7 am is very small.
Lol. I work at home and start at 6am almost every day. WFH has just shifted my commute time to more work time.

I wish the GTAA would be more customer focused instead of blaming their customers for the GTAA's failings. They want people to show up? Then they need to figure out why people aren't showing up and remove those barriers first. Then they should figure out how to get the borderline people to want to be there by talking to them and then implementing the things that drive 'want to' (most likely FOMO-based.)

Instead, the GTAA ignores the barriers (lack of tailgate space, bad parking, terrible stadium experience, etc.) thinking that 'real fans' don't need those things. Of course, they are enabled by people who wear their attendance-suffering like merit badges to try to shame people into showing up.

Quit telling me I should be there...make me want to be there. Pretty simple.

Last edited: