Current Environment

gtg771r

Jolly Good Fellow
We don't have fans in the stands. Shoot, we don't have folks at bball games. Todd is arguing with folks in Callaway every bball game defending his decision on Collins.

UGA lost and I felt GREAT! Maybe there is hope. I believe in Todd and his vision. Look at VB- sweet sixteen tonight, Women's Bball - top 25, swim team top 15. He's a Tech man. Trust him. I don't believe in Collins but believe in Todd.

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
We don't have fans in the stands. Shoot, we don't have folks at bball games. Todd is arguing with folks in Callaway every bball game defending his decision on Collins.

UGA lost and I felt GREAT! Maybe there is hope. I believe in Todd and his vision. Look at VB- sweet sixteen tonight, Women's Bball - top 25, swim team top 15. He's a Tech man. Trust him. I don't believe in Collins but believe in Todd.
Do what?!

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
We had over 2100 students at the Wisconsin game last week. What are you talking about?

Oh heck yeah. They were great! We don't have alumni
Not to get off topic, but yes, we had 2100 students out of 6300 total fans, and that seems to have been due to some special marketing/promotion to the students. Even with that student turnout, we were still at less than 75% capacity (8600) for a nationally televised game against a hot, top 25 team. Take away the students, and we were at about 4200 fans, which is just marginally better than what we were averaging for the early OOC powder puffs and the thanksgiving game(s) with no students. My point is our fans really aren’t showing up. I’m hoping for better today vs UNC, and I hope we keep the tar heels out.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Baseball is our most consistent major sport* NCAA tournament team. Let's hope baseball has a break out year. Not "just" getting to NCAAs consistently but going the next step. And baseball doesn'tt get the fans either.

I don't think Stansbury is responsible for as much as he is blamed or credited. In baseball, we have a long term stable program unlike other sports. In football, which is the most visible sport, he made a risky deal with the 7 year contract and large buyout. That deal hasn't panned out and is looking less likely to do so. So that one area over shadows everything else; so I agree with your points.

*Major sport is football, M&W basketball, baseball. Volleyball may make it up there. Golf is not what I'd call a major sport, but is probably our best NCAA tourney performer considering all varsity sports.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Not to get off topic, but yes, we had 2100 students out of 6300 total fans, and that seems to have been due to some special marketing/promotion to the students. Even with that student turnout, we were still at less than 75% capacity (8600) for a nationally televised game against a hot, top 25 team. Take away the students, and we were at about 4200 fans, which is just marginally better than what we were averaging for the early OOC powder puffs and the thanksgiving game(s) with no students. My point is our fans really aren’t showing up. I’m hoping for better today vs UNC, and I hope we keep the tar heels out.
... Possible issue is a 9:15 p.m. start, game is over at 11:30ish, and then people have to drive home. Getting to bed at 1:00 or 1:30 at night and being up and work by 7:00 a.m. makes it pretty tough to attend a game.

Just seeing that TV, in part has ruined fan attendance with late game starts.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
... Possible issue is a 9:15 p.m., start game is over at 11:30ish,
Yeah, I hear you on this point. I wasn’t home until after midnight and I was posting on GTSwarm at 1am. I understand that not everyone can do that. I’m borderline too old to handle it myself. On the flip side, it seems like GT fans constantly use every excuse in the book for not attending games, too late, game at noon, game on a weeknight, too many other entertainment options on a Saturday, the team stinks , etc, etc.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
... Possible issue is a 9:15 p.m. start, game is over at 11:30ish, and then people have to drive home. Getting to bed at 1:00 or 1:30 at night and being up and work by 7:00 a.m. makes it pretty tough to attend a game.

Just seeing that TV, in part has ruined fan attendance with late game starts.
Who has to be at work at 7 am? Especially today, with so much work-at-home, I would expect the number of Tech fans that have to be at work at 7 am is very small.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
Who has to be at work at 7 am? Especially today, with so much work-at-home, I would expect the number of Tech fans that have to be at work at 7 am is very small.
Yeah we had 9PM games when I was there. The Thrillerdome was packed. Great crowds the last two volleyball games. And the volleyball team is awesome if you haven’t watched em. We started watching women’s volleyball because my youngest daughter performs at UF volleyball games. It’s a great game to watch

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer

This is literally why I gave up 2 of my 4 basketball season tickets. Just can’t make these late midweek games any more.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I’d love to be able to “sleep in” every morning and saunter in to work at 7am. Must be nice. I can tell you at the beginning of the year when it’s far less busy for me, sometimes I’ll do a few days of the 7am routine here & there. It’s a really great set up if you can wing it.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Winning will cure all plain and simple. We never have had a fan base like UGA or Clemson that will fill the stands on a down year. Always has been this way.
Collins and Tstan want to start making GT football fun for the walkon fans in the area, I get that. But we need to win instead of just being all talk. All talk is where we are and people see right through that.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
Winning will cure all plain and simple. We never have had a fan base like UGA or Clemson that will fill the stands on a down year. Always has been this way.
Collins and Tstan want to start making GT football fun for the walkon fans in the area, I get that. But we need to win instead of just being all talk. All talk is where we are and people see right through that.
Completely agree. The attacks against TStan, Collins, other coaches, and players all come down to performance and lack of wins. Having more wins will generate at least some more fans (and certainly better attendance by Season Ticket holders) and more balance in people's posts. Many posts on this board (not this one), like most are hiding behind anonymity, and people will say things they would never have the courage saying to people face to face. Clearly the last three seasons don't deserve lots of praise. But we should all be looking forward to ways to change things to improve GT's performance and not just harped on all of the problems of the past. Everyone (including me) has done enough of that to this point.