Culture

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
There has been a lot of talk around here recently about who is leaving and who will be replacing who, and rightfully so. It is now the off season and we have people departing. I know the tendency is to focus on talent etc in these scenarios, but to be truthful, the top priority to me is building on this wonderful season in terms of culture.

It is my considered opinion that, in recent years, our record has not reflected our abilities. This was the first season in a while where we made the most of out of our situation. It happened because of leadership mostly. I loathe to think that we might slip back to the days of 2010 where bad chemistry and selfishness shipwrecked the season. Did we capture lightning in a bottle in terms of culture this season? Or, are we building something that will sustain itself and be handed down like a torch from season to season? That is what I am concerned about, more so than what Jimmie will replace that Joe from a talent standpoint. What say you? Just in case you are wondering, I am not saying talent isn't important.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
To me the culture (especially on O) starts with the guy under center. When the guys believe he is going to give his all and give the team a chance to win, everyone plays their hearts out. Ted Roof said one day that self policing locker rooms were the most fun to coach. There is no doubt we had that this season. In retrospect I think CPJ cut ties with some of the players that did not buy in to what he wanted to do. I think that allowed the team to play for one another instead of themselves as individuals.

I honestly think the culture will deepen. Inspiring the culture IMO is the hard part. Once it breads success it is easier to sustain buy in.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I would like to think that they players who will remain will keep that feeling of "family" and will, in turn, pass this on to the new guys coming on. I want to believe that all will still buy-in and want to ride this wave of success for the next few years.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Great observation!
I think it was clear to all that from the first game of the season this was a team in which the members loved each other and did not want to let the other guy down. The are selfless, humble and hard working. If we can sustain that team attitude we can win 9 or 10 games, minimum, every year.

As to how to do that, so far we see that most of our incoming class is filled with people who already buy into "the family." As long as those who do not feel this way can be converted by the majority, or at least have their virus isolated, we will be fine. The foundations appear to be there but obviously we will know pretty quickly next season if the same team chemistry is in play.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
CPJ also got back to basics for as being a disciplinarian as well removing kids that didn't want to be apart of the program. While it may hurt from a talent standpoint it probably helps with chemistry.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
After the 2009 season, there were several players that walked away rich: Dwyer, Thomas, Burnett, etc. A lot of others that were big contributors were left behind: Nesbitt for one. I think those that were left were a little bitter. If you were at the Kansas game in 2010, you could see something was not right. They were just not playing fast or hard, the desire wasn't there. Also, they were Gailey's players. They came to play for one man and one type of team, and CPJ was asking them for something else. Nobody's fault, just what happened. We were very lucky not to get a 93/94 or 87/88 type melt down, IMHO. Multiple heart breaking last second or OT losses in 11/12/13 to VT, Miami, uga, Utah, etc crushed the spirit and resolve of the team. The TO scored just enough points in 2011 and 2012 to keep us competitive and keep the bowl streak alive. We needed those years for the CPJ recruits from 2010/11 that really wanted to play for him and his system to mature into starring roles. Had Vad Lee been able to fit into an option offense (and I give him a lot of credit for trying), last year would have been a lot like this year. Instead, we were left with a lot of players and fans questioning whether CPJ and the TO could work at Tech. CPJ showed his credentials by doing what he did in the off season. He added thru subtraction.

The players that are here now, know what it takes. They found the intensity dial and turned it steadily up as the year progressed. Lots of hard fought games that could have gone against us this year especially early: GSU, Miami, VT, uga, even Tulane was close in the 4th. I think that will pay dividends for two to three years at least, and we have a fun ride coming. We won this year firstly on effort/intensity, secondly on lack of injuries, thirdly on ability, and fourthly we got some timely breaks (GSU, uga). The tremendous intensity we had this year will dissipate, just as it always has in the past. Can some of that intensity be replaced by better players? I think it will. The key ingredient in keeping this going may be that once and for all CPJ has answered the question, "Can the TO win at this level with the type of player CPJ can recruit at Georgia Tech?" That question had to be in the back of the mind of the players the last few years. The current players and the ones that follow now know the answer is "YES". If we run this thing right, you ain't gonna stop it, so let's do what it takes to run it right. I think we have turned that corner we have been looking for since Dodd left.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I imagine it will still need policing by everyone and possibly every now and then someone will need to move on, no question it's real important. People notice whether folks are getting by with things or being eliminated.

Buzzwax

Georgia Tech Fan
There has been a lot of talk around here recently about who is leaving and who will be replacing who, and rightfully so. It is now the off season and we have people departing. I know the tendency is to focus on talent etc in these scenarios, but to be truthful, the top priority to me is building on this wonderful season in terms of culture.

It is my considered opinion that, in recent years, our record has not reflected our abilities. This was the first season in a while where we made the most of out of our situation. It happened because of leadership mostly. I loathe to think that we might slip back to the days of 2010 where bad chemistry and selfishness shipwrecked the season. Did we capture lightning in a bottle in terms of culture this season? Or, are we building something that will sustain itself and be handed down like a torch from season to season? That is what I am concerned about, more so than what Jimmie will replace that Joe from a talent standpoint. What say you? Just in case you are wondering, I am not saying talent isn't important.

This is a great post! A winning culture that goes beyond mediocrity and a team we know can beat anyone on the schedule next year is about all this Jacket fan could ever want!
I just plan to keep expectations in wins and losses to 8 - 4 being in every game like this year. If we could just get two to three 'elite' talent defensive players a year....then expectations move up to 9/10 wins. Pretty amazing how close this program is to being top 15!

yjack

Jolly Good Fellow
Soon after he was hired CPJ said he knew there was going to be a culture shift for the players. He ran practices different, his expectations were different, and so on. He knew some players would walk, some would buy in, and some would just go through the motions until their eligibility ran out. He also said that the new recruits wouldn't know any different ways to do things so as they migrated in the overall culture would transition. Makes sense. But it seems like it took a little longer than his initial recruiting class becoming seniors. I think it took a couple years to also establish his recruiting networks so he is bringing in "his players" not just the players he signed. There is a difference.

Hopefully, all is in place now. And with the contract extension there is said to be a commitment for additional support staff. Here's to believing that this season will be the norm and not the exception for years to come.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
It should continue, which doesn't necessarily mean it will. Ideally, the new guys will fall into whatever pattern already exists. The unselfish, team first attitude has led to a level of success this year that makes it an easy sell going forward. Who doesn't love being in the top 15, playing in the conference championship game and almost winning, and beating the hated state rival.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
It should continue, which doesn't necessarily mean it will. Ideally, the new guys will fall into whatever pattern already exists. The unselfish, team first attitude has led to a level of success this year that makes it an easy sell going forward. Who doesn't love being in the top 15, playing in the conference championship game and almost winning, and beating the hated state rival.

... well there are some that don't because of the CPJ spread offense that they "don't like".

For the rest of us - LET'S DO IT!

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I think we bent over backward last year to accommodate a certain person last year by incorporating schemes that CPJ was not comfortable with. Buying into any scheme is very important.

Cheesehead Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I could not agree more with this thread. To me , team chemistry is absolutely the most important trait of a team. It can overcome deficits in talent , coaching, bad officiating and even just bad breaks. I firmly believe if the FSU game had gone on longer, Tech would have won that game , too. We were so very, very close as it was. The commentators on ABC didn't even seem to realize that if we had gotten that on sides kick, we were a field goal away from winning that thing. FSU dodged a huge bullet, but those bozos on ABC never gave us a chance.
The carry over to the next few years is so important. The expectations for the newbies will be set when they get into the locker room by the leaders : JT , maybe Freeman on DC , whoever. That's how they build a tradition , an expectation of excellence. Guys that don't buy in will drop out , transfer, quit , etc.
To me , a WIN in the Orange Bowl is crucial to set a tone for next spring. Tech is not " back " yet.....but they are headed in the right direction.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I could not agree more with this thread. To me , team chemistry is absolutely the most important trait of a team. It can overcome deficits in talent , coaching, bad officiating and even just bad breaks. I firmly believe if the FSU game had gone on longer, Tech would have won that game , too. We were so very, very close as it was. The commentators on ABC didn't even seem to realize that if we had gotten that on sides kick, we were a field goal away from winning that thing. FSU dodged a huge bullet, but those bozos on ABC never gave us a chance.
The carry over to the next few years is so important. The expectations for the newbies will be set when they get into the locker room by the leaders : JT , maybe Freeman on DC , whoever. That's how they build a tradition , an expectation of excellence. Guys that don't buy in will drop out , transfer, quit , etc.
To me , a WIN in the Orange Bowl is crucial to set a tone for next spring. Tech is not " back " yet.....but they are headed in the right direction.
Just to clarify, even after we missed the onside kick we were still just one stop away from one more chance to pull it out.

Animal02

Banned
JT was voted a captain as a sophomore-that means two more years of that sort of leadership. There seems to be a real quiet confidence in him.....I even noticed it in the video when the team got off the bus after the UGA game.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
GLUE GUYS!

We're gonna have a hard time replacing Synjyn, Charles, DeAndre not only for their talent but for their leadership. Synjyn was obviously the heart and soul of this team. DeAndre was the lunch pale guy who lead by example. Perk was a little of both. We need some young guys to step up and fill the huge void left by these fine young men.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
GLUE GUYS!

We're gonna have a hard time replacing Synjyn, Charles, DeAndre not only for their talent but for their leadership. Synjyn was obviously the heart and soul of this team. DeAndre was the lunch pale guy who lead by example. Perk was a little of both. We need some young guys to step up and fill the huge void left by these fine young men.

Two key ones you missed...Laskey and Mason. Those two were the heart and soul of things IMO...they both had a big impact on the chemistry of things and impacted how people decided to practice everyday.

Mason will always be undervalued in my eyes.