Culture

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
There has been a lot of talk around here recently about who is leaving and who will be replacing who, and rightfully so. It is now the off season and we have people departing. I know the tendency is to focus on talent etc in these scenarios, but to be truthful, the top priority to me is building on this wonderful season in terms of culture.

It is my considered opinion that, in recent years, our record has not reflected our abilities. This was the first season in a while where we made the most of out of our situation. It happened because of leadership mostly. I loathe to think that we might slip back to the days of 2010 where bad chemistry and selfishness shipwrecked the season. Did we capture lightning in a bottle in terms of culture this season? Or, are we building something that will sustain itself and be handed down like a torch from season to season? That is what I am concerned about, more so than what Jimmie will replace that Joe from a talent standpoint. What say you? Just in case you are wondering, I am not saying talent isn't important.

Extremely well said and an excellent post. I could not agree more, this is my primary worry as well.

To be honest, I don't know how any of us outside the program can possibly know about the culture issues within the program. So I am surprised that people are weighing in with opinions on whether this culture will carry over.

In 1998, we had a surprisingly good season with Lil' Joe Hamilton at QB, went 9-2 in the regular season, tied for the ACC Championship, beat UGa and then went on to win the Gator Bowl. Everyone thought we would be even better the next year, with Hamilton back for his senior season. Yet in 1999, we limped in with a 8-3 record (although another victory over the Dawgs) with late season losses to Virginia and Wake Forest, and then dropped the Gator Bowl to finish 8-4 and outside the Top 20. Based on returning talent, we should have been MUCH better. Yet we weren't. The only explanation is, I think, this elusive chemistry that you are referring to, Boomer.

I think the question about next season is impossible for us to answer. Maybe people on the team could answer it, but only maybe. It is such an intangible.

It is my single greatest worry about next year, no doubt. But in a week, everyone will forget this thread, and everyone will be back to talking about returning talent etc. The spirit that carried us to near impossible come from behind wins against UGa, Georgia Southern, and VPI&SU, the camaraderie that carried us to convincing wins over Clemson, Miami, and Virginia....will that be back??

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Two key ones you missed...Laskey and Mason. Those two were the heart and soul of things IMO...they both had a big impact on the chemistry of things and impacted how people decided to practice everyday.

Mason will always be undervalued in my eyes.
We really had a lot of great senior leadership this year which is different for us. All those guys will be hard to replace. Who do you see stepping into their big shoes?

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
We really had a lot of great senior leadership this year which is different for us. All those guys will be hard to replace. Who do you see stepping into their big shoes?

We really did looking back on it.

JT of course is one but on offense we will be searching for a leader besides him....we have a lot of young guys that are going to have to contribute and the older guys that will play arent the vocal kind really...Maybe JT keeps the ship steady.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Extremely well said and an excellent post. I could not agree more, this is my primary worry as well.

To be honest, I don't know how any of us outside the program can possibly know about the culture issues within the program. So I am surprised that people are weighing in with opinions on whether this culture will carry over.

In 1998, we had a surprisingly good season with Lil' Joe Hamilton at QB, went 9-2 in the regular season, tied for the ACC Championship, beat UGa and then went on to win the Gator Bowl. Everyone thought we would be even better the next year, with Hamilton back for his senior season. Yet in 1999, we limped in with a 8-3 record (although another victory over the Dawgs) with late season losses to Virginia and Wake Forest, and then dropped the Gator Bowl to finish 8-4 and outside the Top 20. Based on returning talent, we should have been MUCH better. Yet we weren't. The only explanation is, I think, this elusive chemistry that you are referring to, Boomer.

I think the question about next season is impossible for us to answer. Maybe people on the team could answer it, but only maybe. It is such an intangible.

It is my single greatest worry about next year, no doubt. But in a week, everyone will forget this thread, and everyone will be back to talking about returning talent etc. The spirit that carried us to near impossible come from behind wins against UGa, Georgia Southern, and VPI&SU, the camaraderie that carried us to convincing wins over Clemson, Miami, and Virginia....will that be back??
As somebody else said, it all starts with JT. I think he will emerge as an even bigger leader off the field next year, he'll have to.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Did we capture lightning in a bottle in terms of culture this season? Or, are we building something that will sustain itself and be handed down like a torch from season to season? That is what I am concerned about, more so than what Jimmie will replace that Joe from a talent standpoint. What say you? Just in case you are wondering, I am not saying talent isn't important.

I agree with you. There has been a big "something" missing the last few years.

The 2014 team has the personality of a certain LB from 1985....Ted Roof. Never say die, and leave it all on the field.

Roof is what I point to as the change in culture/chemistry at GT.

If Johnson is worth more than $2.6 million/year, Roof is worth just as much. His presence is the biggest difference since O'Leary hired Friedgen.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
There has been a lot of talk around here recently about who is leaving and who will be replacing who, and rightfully so. It is now the off season and we have people departing. I know the tendency is to focus on talent etc in these scenarios, but to be truthful, the top priority to me is building on this wonderful season in terms of culture.

It is my considered opinion that, in recent years, our record has not reflected our abilities. This was the first season in a while where we made the most of out of our situation. It happened because of leadership mostly. I loathe to think that we might slip back to the days of 2010 where bad chemistry and selfishness shipwrecked the season. Did we capture lightning in a bottle in terms of culture this season? Or, are we building something that will sustain itself and be handed down like a torch from season to season? That is what I am concerned about, more so than what Jimmie will replace that Joe from a talent standpoint. What say you? Just in case you are wondering, I am not saying talent isn't important.

A cogent observation,sir..In fact,one the most interesting facets of this season in which this was manifest was the position of Aback.We had SIX (if include Days) very competent guys for 2 positions coming into Fall. I thought at least one would go out early to balance things a bit but didn't.So what would happen? Somebody was not going to get much playing time.This could be a mess with biiterness galore..
So as it turned out,it looked to be handled wonderfully well with GREAT success by all.Days went to Bback but even then playing time was short for some guys. After all was done ,the skill and ability of these SR backs was critical to the team's success.It was the besting blocking by backs maybe ever.That with few fumbles,few drops and few missed assignments made what could been a cancer pit into what was proved to be a high spot.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Keep in mind Groh was a big issues in our recent history. My thinking on issues through the years...

2008 new offensive system to team but new to everyone else and some excellent 1 through 8s
2009 got to know the offensive system better but everyone else was still not preparing for us like they do now
2010 lost Nesbit and had to break in a new QB/new defense system
2011 Groh
2012 Groh
2013 OL needed more experience more than anything else. The second is not doing what we do best.
2014 Doing what we do best with great performance from every position on O/defence had to much DL attrition and still paying for Groh

Eli

Helluva Engineer
I think a lot to do with team chemistry is keeping assistants in place. Especially ones that love the institute such as Roof

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
I tried to ask this question on the call in show, and failed miserably. If like to get CPJ'S take on the locker room this season and if he feels its contagious.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Mason lead steak day once a week where all the linemen would eat together. They went bowling and other outings with the purpose of gealing together. He was very important for the Oline.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
It will be very interesting to see which players step forward to lead. I predict Burden or Chamberlain on the O-line will have to be that man. On the defense, I bet Davis or White will be the guy. Of course, these are just guesses. The Spring will help define those roles.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Keep in mind Groh was a big issues in our recent history. My thinking on issues through the years...

2008 new offensive system to team but new to everyone else and some excellent 1 through 8s
2009 got to know the offensive system better but everyone else was still not preparing for us like they do now
2010 lost Nesbit and had to break in a new QB/new defense system
2011 Groh
2012 Groh
2013 OL needed more experience more than anything else. The second is not doing what we do best.
2014 Doing what we do best with great performance from every position on O/defence had to much DL attrition and still paying for Groh
2013 OL was depleted with injuries both before and during the season.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck

Boomers and MWBATL both have excellent posts. They are totally right on IMHO. To paraphrase what Gerstner wrote in his leading the turn around of IBM, culture was just not one of the things that they had to address, it was the most important thing. And as we know from leadership studies, all it takes is one new member of a team to have a new team, thus MWBATL is right on about how this is an intangible. With the amount of turnover we will have this coming year, it is all about who will step up. How will the culture change on the team? In my studies of great teams, it is just not one leader. CPJ and Roof can only do so much (they do lay down the foundation), and then individuals on the team have to step up. And, when you have a small core group that is driving the collective leadership of the team, then it becomes magical (like this year). You want to be part of this culture. You want to learn from the "collective" as a new team member. You want to continue the winning ways and you can see that you can have success along with the team. You understand when Days said "we are going to Charlotte" in preseason practice, why that is possible and want to get behind that. When you lead by example like JeT waiting until the very last second to pitch and then get creamed by two DL's or LB's, you want to lay it on the line as well. When a walk-on comes on, coach gives them a chance to prove themselves, and then they are successful, you can get your "mind right" and go out and give 110% because you know it can be done on this team.

Because I see the "possibilities" of who is going to lead this team next year, because I believe our coaches are bringing in the right recruits and laying the right foundation, because I know as Herbstreit said on one of the pre game shows "Georgia Tech is doing this the right way", and we have Derrick Moore in our locker room (we are going to get knocked down, bleed a little, and then we are going to get up and fight some more! fight some more!) I am choosing to focus on moments of positive resonance and say our team next year will also be special. THWG!

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Boomers and MWBATL both have excellent posts. They are totally right on IMHO. To paraphrase what Gerstner wrote in his leading the turn around of IBM, culture was just not one of the things that they had to address, it was the most important thing. And as we know from leadership studies, all it takes is one new member of a team to have a new team, thus MWBATL is right on about how this is an intangible. With the amount of turnover we will have this coming year, it is all about who will step up. How will the culture change on the team? In my studies of great teams, it is just not one leader. CPJ and Roof can only do so much (they do lay down the foundation), and then individuals on the team have to step up. And, when you have a small core group that is driving the collective leadership of the team, then it becomes magical (like this year). You want to be part of this culture. You want to learn from the "collective" as a new team member. You want to continue the winning ways and you can see that you can have success along with the team. You understand when Days said "we are going to Charlotte" in preseason practice, why that is possible and want to get behind that. When you lead by example like JeT waiting until the very last second to pitch and then get creamed by two DL's or LB's, you want to lay it on the line as well. When a walk-on comes on, coach gives them a chance to prove themselves, and then they are successful, you can get your "mind right" and go out and give 110% because you know it can be done on this team.

Because I see the "possibilities" of who is going to lead this team next year, because I believe our coaches are bringing in the right recruits and laying the right foundation, because I know as Herbstreit said on one of the pre game shows "Georgia Tech is doing this the right way", and we have Derrick Moore in our locker room (we are going to get knocked down, bleed a little, and then we are going to get up and fight some more! fight some more!) I am choosing to focus on moments of positive resonance and say our team next year will also be special. THWG!
Amen brother. Hallelujah!

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
I am optimistic we will be better next year offensively because of the consistency we have exhibited under CPJ. Despite all the changes and difficulties over the years, this offense at its worst, functions pretty wel. Even during the 7 win years we have only been a break or two from 8-9 wins. The additional bodies on the DL etc also are encouraging. My biggest concern every year is injuries. Although we will be deeper in important areas, there will be a drop off in depth at a and b-back and a couple injuries in the wrong spots can turn 10-2 to 7-5.

worthco jacket

Georgia Tech Fan

I probably should not mention this but I am going to anyway. There have been a lot of people over the past year that complained about two guys on the offensive line almost nonstop. I was as guilty as anyone. The fact is, that Bryan Chamberlain and Trey Braun were subject to merciless criticism. Either of them could have pouted, quit, gone through the motions etc. but their responses were to man up and get better. To my way of thinking, this is what college football should be about. Growing up, taking responsibility and being a man when naysayers (like me) are whining and complaining without knowing the whole story. Thank you gentlemen for the job both of you did this year and may accolades and success follow you next year. Oh yeah, one more thing: Chamberlain is an Albeeny boy from Monroe High School. How about those Tornadoes!