CPJ Radio Show

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I also always feel better about things after the show. Some tidbits:

Why didn't we get more pressure? A: Pitt played a 7 and 8 man protection scheme most of the game. So we decided to double cover. We had two and sometimes even three on their top receiver. But due to a combination of poor execution on the part of our DBs and great plays by their receiver, he caught the ball anyway.

What is different this year? A: The teams we have played are 27-4. Last year we got a heckuva lot more turnovers. Last year's offense was about 10 points a game better than this year's. Last year I said on defense, send more pressure. Let's get them off the field one way or another. Either we stop them or they score quick, but lets' get the ball back. Last year I was fine with a shootout. I was confident we'd outscore them. Not so sure about that this year. But for all that, we have only been out of it with one team. We are playing some really good football teams close, but at the end we can't seem to make the plays to get a win. Or the ball just doesnt' bounce our way this year. A few plays go different and we're 5-2. A win Saturday can flip this thing.

[not sure what led him into this part] You know. we had 3 or 4 homeruns if we could only have pass protected better. We had receivers behind the defense. We put in some new routes which confused the defense. We had guys running totally uncovered but Justin didn't have time to get them the ball. The line is not pass protecting well, but it's not all on them. The Bs and As are screwing up plenty too. Marshall is great with the ball in this hands but a liability in pass protection.

Why is Marshall getting so many snaps and Skov so little? A: Patrick is tough, he's experienced, he's a better blocker. But we have to have more explosiveness. Marshall gives us that. We'll have to take some lumps while he learns to block better.

What can we do to get more pressure on the quarterback? A: We can try some stunts, some twists. When we do send extra rushers, I want us to send enough to get there.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I also always feel better about things after the show. Some tidbits:

Why didn't we get more pressure? A: Pitt played a 7 and 8 man protection scheme most of the game. So we decided to double cover. We had two and sometimes even three on their top receiver. But due to a combination of poor execution on the part of our DBs and great plays by their receiver, he caught the ball anyway.

What is different this year? A: The teams we have played are 27-4. Last year we got a heckuva lot more turnovers. Last year's offense was about 10 points a game better than this year's. Last year I said on defense, send more pressure. Let's get them off the field one way or another. Either we stop them or they score quick, but lets' get the ball back. Last year I was fine with a shootout. I was confident we'd outscore them. Not so sure about that this year. But for all that, we have only been out of it with one team. We are playing some really good football teams close, but at the end we can't seem to make the plays to get a win. Or the ball just doesnt' bounce our way this year. A few plays go different and we're 5-2. A win Saturday can flip this thing.

[not sure what led him into this part] You know. we had 3 or 4 homeruns if we could only have pass protected better. We had receivers behind the defense. We put in some new routes which confused the defense. We had guys running totally uncovered but Justin didn't have time to get them the ball. The line is not pass protecting well, but it's not all on them. The Bs and As are screwing up plenty too. Marshall is great with the ball in this hands but a liability in pass protection.

Why is Marshall getting so many snaps and Skov so little? A: Patrick is tough, he's experienced, he's a better blocker. But we have to have more explosiveness. Marshall gives us that. We'll have to take some lumps while he learns to block better.

What can we do to get more pressure on the quarterback? A: We can try some stunts, some twists. When we do send extra rushers, I want us to send enough to get there.
Thanks for summary.

Glad coach has decided we need more explosive ness on offense = MM. Imo
Without him we would have punted more ( long drives w errors and gap blitz) and game may have had more pitt scores.

Hope he applies the same directionto defense. We wear out the dt and cant stop folks in q 4.
Lets mix it up until we get so depth and talent that can force punts in a base defense.
By being agressive We may fall behind EARLY, but we can come back while wearing down their defense. We also could actually get some turnovers = now a defense score would be considered a miracle.
A plan to win close games with a gassed defense and an offense that cant pass when needed, is plan that can win 1/4..

By way how many minutes did kallon and Henderson (54) play. They sit in front of me and were not even in the sideline huddles. Looked like they knew not going in to game.
Will look up playing minutes , perhaps henderson can save a redshirt if doesn't play again??

MrsDrJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Tell me about it...I was actually there, and was one of the people who chatted with @MrsDrJacket...feeling very :(:( right now, for being left off her list of "good company".

Oh, @GTpdm, I'm so sorry!!!! I didn't mean to exclude you - just didn't know your 'handle' - I do now! And I'm afraid I also left out @croberts! I am so happy to put names (real and Swarm) to faces!

Last edited:

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I appreciate CPJ's explanations and for the most part they make sense. The one issue I have is his answer about better talent on D. He said the D coaches "got the players they wanted" and it sounded like talent was not what he thought was a problem on D. When you have trouble in double/triple coverage, tackling, and pass rushing and in general have only average speed there seems to be a talent deficit (or otherwise some of it is coaching) . CPJ has found an effective way to scheme his way on O with average talent but you cannot get by with scheme on D. It takes better talent than what we have on the field to be a much better D. We have to get some more big time D players. Mitchell, Alexander, St Amour, and Gray are a good start. A recognition and a better effort to get more high caliber D talent is needed.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I appreciate CPJ's explanations and for the most part they make sense. The one issue I have is his answer about better talent on D. He said the D coaches "got the players they wanted" and it sounded like talent was not what he thought was a problem on D. When you have trouble in double/triple coverage, tackling, and pass rushing and in general have only average speed there seems to be a talent deficit (or otherwise some of it is coaching) . CPJ has found an effective way to scheme his way on O with average talent but you cannot get by with scheme on D. It takes better talent than what we have on the field to be a much better D. We have to get some more big time D players. Mitchell, Alexander, St Amour, and Gray are a good start. A recognition and a better effort to get more high caliber D talent is needed.

This is how I see it too. Gruff as he seems at times, P J loves his guys. I think sometimes it is hard for him to be completely objective about their abilities.

We have advantages on offense, not the least of which is P J's playcalling head. But we don't have the defensive equivalent. The offense can and will improve and grow. The defense is loaded with guys who have played a lot for us. I think they are playing somewhere close to as well as they can. But as Danny says, we may have a talent bump on the horizon, so maybe things will get better.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
I think with respect to the comment on talent on defense, he said that 7 players on the 2013 (IIRC) defense were at some point playing on Sundays. That tells me that talent is not an issue on the first line, but that squares with my general belief that our first 22 can hang with most anyone. We tend to get hit in the depth, which is even more exacerbated by injury and attrition (such as in 2013).

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
It's interesting CPJ mentioned NFL scouts had their eyes on 9 guys on this year's team.

More specifically, he said that NFL scouts had listed 9 guys ON DEFENSE as being potential NFL players. This was to refute the idea that we just don't have any talent on defense. He did say he wasn't sure if the scouts thought that anymore, but ultimately the coaches have to do a better job coaching it: you can have the best plan, but if your guys can't execute it, its not a good plan.

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I took that comment as the younger guys (i.e., since Roof has been here) are who they wanted. They're still learning and growing though. D linemen take a few years to fill out, for instance. Can't count on the young guys as much there.

And I agree with @Yaller Jacket that CPJ loves his players.

Jay Alexander

Jolly Good Fellow
More specifically, he said that NFL scouts had listed 9 guys ON DEFENSE as being potential NFL players. This was to refute the idea that we just don't have any talent on defense. He did say he wasn't sure if the scouts thought that anymore, but ultimately the coaches have to do a better job coaching it: you can have the best plan, but if your guys can't execute it, its not a good plan.

I thought there were quite a few times we had players in the right place to make some big plays on defense.

That's all you can really hope for. I'll take my chances with AJ Gray having to make a tackle to force a punt almost every time. Now I'm sure there are a few calls here and there that CTR would love to have back, but overall we had our shots. Just hope we can make some plays Saturday.