CPJ Radio Show tonight

stingyoa$$

Jolly Good Fellow
In the TO the QB isn't the only one that has to make a read. The Oline and especially the BB has to know what to do. Only on a called dive is it automatic. Last year plays were changed on the line and everyone was in the same page. That's what Laskey was so good at. Looking back I believe career wise he had 3 fumbles and none of them were on the mesh iirc. Some pick it up quicker than others (BB) but imo no excuse for this Oline not to be on the same page week after week. They have the experience. They should be better.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
He would know better than anybody else, but it does seem disingenuous. Certainly they bounced along the line, but that is what running plays do, and in general O lines will allow the defender to choose his direction then drive him through it. Who knows. Johnson is at one time or another hilariously funny or an iron curtain.
Yeah. I don't know how much to read into that. Did our BBs play well last year? Yes. Did our OL block better last year? I say yes to that as well, based on what I have looked at. Personally, I do think there have been more absolute busts on plays this season. However, I would also agree that BBs this season have missed some opportunities that maybe weren't missed last year. It is a combination.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
No doubt that the O line played very good during the second half 2014. Shaq is a big piece of the missing puzzle. Calling blocks, helping to push Errin Joe, and he was one heck of a pull blocker! Shaq's effect through leadership should not be discounted.

I am wondering why CPJ would say the OL was not as good as we thought last year. All you have to do is watch some of my Orange bowl series and see the crispness difference than this year. CPJ may mean the OL was not all America last year and they have the same talent this year. I agree with CPJ given the caveat the talent is the same but the execution is lower. Although, I can say we did not replace Shaq in kind lowering overall effectiveness.

Don't get me wrong. I love our OL players and know they are capable of performing.... just got to do it in game.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
No doubt that the O line played very good during the second half 2014. Shaq is a big piece of the missing puzzle. Calling blocks, helping to push Errin Joe, and he was one heck of a pull blocker! Shaq's effect through leadership should not be discounted.

I am wondering why CPJ would say the OL was not as good as we thought last year. All you have to do is watch some of my Orange bowl series and see the crispness difference than this year. CPJ may mean the OL was not all America last year and they have the same talent this year. I agree with CPJ given the caveat the talent is the same but the execution is lower. Although, I can say we did not replace Shaq in kind lowering overall effectiveness.

Don't get me wrong. I love our OL players and know they are capable of performing.... just got to do it in game.
Devine is just as physical as Mason at the point of attack IMHO, but when it comes to pulling and getting upfield, you are so right, big difference. I can't ever remember anybody getting up under Shaq in short yardage either. It sickens me that with all our experience that we can't get line calls right with ONE of our returning starters. I am not enough of an expert to know what calls are supposed to happen with a given front on a given play, but man, with all the games under their belts, either TB or FB should be able to handle it from somewhere close to the middle.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
The old Ga Southern playbook, someone once linked to, detailed player assignments in depth vs different fronts n schemes. It was pretty voluminous and a bit much for my low football IQ to soak in.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Per an AJC article, the other thing that Shaq, and Uzzi before him were good at was reading what the defense was doing and communicating it to Coach Sewak on the sidelines enabling in game adjustments.

Sewak said he was hoping Freddie Burden would take on this role but hasn't fully developed it yet.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Per an AJC article, the other thing that Shaq, and Uzzi before him were good at was reading what the defense was doing and communicating it to Coach Sewak on the sidelines enabling in game adjustments.

Sewak said he was hoping Freddie Burden would take on this role but hasn't fully developed it yet.
Why can't Sewak watch it himself or have an assistant in the booth telling him what's happening?

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
I was thinking the same thing, Sewak called it having a "bell cow guy" ??? ... the article was in this mornings on line edition.

I guess in addition to having the coaches in the booth, having someone in the midst of the action is a big plus.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I was thinking the same thing, Sewak called it having a "bell cow guy" ??? ... the article was in this mornings on line edition.

I guess in addition to having the coaches in the booth, having someone the likes of Shaq Mason in the midst of the action is a big plus.
fify.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Ken Suguira followed up with Coach Johnson yesterday about the radio show caller asking about our players tipping off plays to Clemson's defense. CPJ agreed and said we were tipping them off but almost sounded tongue-in-cheek.

The exchange is right before the 4 minute mark:
http://traffic.libsyn.com/gtathletics/cpj1014.mp3

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Ken Suguira followed up with Coach Johnson yesterday about the radio show caller asking about our players tipping off plays to Clemson's defense. CPJ agreed and said we were tipping them off but almost sounded tongue-in-cheek.

The exchange is right before the 4 minute mark:
http://traffic.libsyn.com/gtathletics/cpj1014.mp3
Not tongue-in-cheek, more like sarcastic. He completely dismissed the idea. I wish he didn't do that. The follow up explanation is nice, but what precedes it is not necessary, imo.

My favorite part of the show tonight was the question and ensuing commentary surrounding recruiting etc. In my mind, CPJ hit the nail squarely on the head. There is a lot of anguish on this board and others about academics and its effect on recruiting etc etc. I find it refreshing that coach is so matter of fact about it and doesn't whine. We are who we are, and he accepts that and has no interest in changing it. I feel the same way and just try to keep my mouth shut most of the time when those conversations happen. I actually relish the role of underdog a little bit, and I am so proud that we do things the right way. Call me crazy, but I think we can be a national player, despite the obstacles, maybe not as consistently as Special Education Conference teams, but every so often.

We get kids at GT who are serious about their education. That means a lot to me. When we do rise up again, like in 1990, we don't have to worry about players sounding like ignoramuses in front of the mic, kids getting in trouble with the law, or having joke academic cheating scandals to put a cloud over it. We will be able to hold our heads high knowing that we did it twice in the last 3 decades with real students, while UGAg did it zero times.
I think, in general, kids that are serious about their education are serious about their football. The have commitment. They have whatever the opposite of "entitlement" is. I agree that we are who we are. I just sometimes get irritated that so many of us believe that to be "who we are" means to be less than excellent in our athletics.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
Not tongue-in-cheek, more like sarcastic. He completely dismissed the idea. I wish he didn't do that. The follow up explanation is nice, but what precedes it is not necessary, imo.

FYI, to give a little context to the situation, PJ really doesn't like Ken. I'll spare details, but PJ just flat out doesn't like Ken so I'm not surprised that coach got a bit snarky with him.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
FYI, to give a little context to the situation, PJ really doesn't like Ken. I'll spare details, but PJ just flat out doesn't like Ken so I'm not surprised that coach got a bit snarky with him.

Didn't some of it have something to do with Ken going around PJ to get injury info?

Nook Su Kow

Ramblin' Wreck
I've always thought Paul was a little more irratable with Ken's questions. Always wondered why, Ken seems pretty fair with his reporting and pretty friendly with his readers.