CPJ Radio Show tonight

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
We trust him
Enjoyed the show with my best friend- my wife, I can tell you one thing about PJ, he turned my sons life around to the better ( in my opinion) he had offers from two sec schools, one of which he committed to- 3 big 12, big 10 or 8 or whatever they are now- 2 PAC who and wherever they are schools.
PJ said one thing to him that stuck home/ "you are making a 40 year decision not a 4 year decision".
One week from the meeting I had to get rid of all the orange I had previously purchased! Trust the guy- we will be back!!!!
We trust him Fat!

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
My favorite part of the show tonight was the question and ensuing commentary surrounding recruiting etc. In my mind, CPJ hit the nail squarely on the head. There is a lot of anguish on this board and others about academics and its effect on recruiting etc etc. I find it refreshing that coach is so matter of fact about it and doesn't whine. We are who we are, and he accepts that and has no interest in changing it. I feel the same way and just try to keep my mouth shut most of the time when those conversations happen. I actually relish the role of underdog a little bit, and I am so proud that we do things the right way. Call me crazy, but I think we can be a national player, despite the obstacles, maybe not as consistently as Special Education Conference teams, but every so often.

We get kids at GT who are serious about their education. That means a lot to me. When we do rise up again, like in 1990, we don't have to worry about players sounding like ignoramuses in front of the mic, kids getting in trouble with the law, or having joke academic cheating scandals to put a cloud over it. We will be able to hold our heads high knowing that we did it twice in the last 3 decades with real students, while UGAg did it zero times.
And our guy isn't drunk on the sideline, either. Though lord knows he would have been excused Saturday. And I saw what you did with that SEC thing. Pretty slick.)

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Better that he drops F-bombs than showing up lit to meetings (ala Sarkisian)! A man's got to deal with stress somehow
it is entirely possible that just dealing with that moronic AD deepened Sarkisian's dependence. He could go back into the pros at his age and still be a better QB than AD.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I listened to the show while doing other things. I missed the dirty word.

He was talking about recruiting at Tech and explaining that if a kid wants to play in front of 80,000, we aren't going to get him. Tech appeals to people who want to get an education as well as play football. There were some more comments about who Tech can reasonably recruit. Then he said something like "it's like if you are selling cars. And I know 'cause I've sold cars. If you are selling one make and the customer only likes another make, I don't give a s**t, you ain't selling him a car." Or something close to that. It was very conversational and natural, and it took me a few seconds to think anything of it.

Jay Alexander

Jolly Good Fellow
Said if certain ol guy doesnt fire of the line he will be standing with coach watching the game. Wonder if guys on swarm who watch film know who is slow off ball?? To me rt is last of line?

I think the answer is pretty obvious by reviewing the newest depth chart.

I like it, get it done or someone else gets a chance.

Also, it was either the weekly presser or the radio show, but I loved coaches definition of "getting back to basics". Basically said that when he watches the game, he wants to be able to recognize the offense, because whatever we are doing isn't recognizable. I laughed out loud at that definition.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Talking about WB he commented that he may not know were to go (true freshman related issue), but he's giving effort!

Note that Will is now a co-starter!!!

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Almost everything which I thought was noteworthy has been brought out in this thread. The one other thing is something which PJ has said before. For me, this other thought is very important to help me get my head around why this year has gone like it has offensively. When asked who on the O-line is playing well, he said two are playing okay, but that's all. The best of last year's line went to the pros. He said in effect they were never all that good, that last year's backs made cuts that left the impression that the line was better than it really was.

I had thought previously that it was the opposite, that the superior line made our backs look good. But has said something close to this several times, and I have to think he knows what he's talking about.

katlong

Jolly Good Fellow
My favorite part of the show tonight was the question and ensuing commentary surrounding recruiting etc. In my mind, CPJ hit the nail squarely on the head. There is a lot of anguish on this board and others about academics and its effect on recruiting etc etc. I find it refreshing that coach is so matter of fact about it and doesn't whine. We are who we are, and he accepts that and has no interest in changing it. I feel the same way and just try to keep my mouth shut most of the time when those conversations happen. I actually relish the role of underdog a little bit, and I am so proud that we do things the right way. Call me crazy, but I think we can be a national player, despite the obstacles, maybe not as consistently as Special Education Conference teams, but every so often.

We get kids at GT who are serious about their education. That means a lot to me. When we do rise up again, like in 1990, we don't have to worry about players sounding like ignoramuses in front of the mic, kids getting in trouble with the law, or having joke academic cheating scandals to put a cloud over it. We will be able to hold our heads high knowing that we did it twice in the last 3 decades with real students, while UGAg did it zero times.

This is EXACTLY why I am a Tech graduate and fan. Nothing more, nothing less. I love it when we are able to rise up, and also relish in being the underdog - I am so proud of our program for exactly these reasons!!! I would no longer be a fan if we ever had a Cardale Jones no matter how many national titles we might get! We are Tech; we are different. And I love it!!!

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
I've always thought and said PJ likes coaching at Tech because of the student athletes he has to get. He wants kids of character, not guys who are characters. I think he'd hate coaching at a factory because he'd be dealing with players' runners and their egos about pro chances. Don't get me wrong - dude does love to win. But not when it involves even selling a little piece of your soul.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer

Ok Boomer, I see what you did there with the "SEC"! I happen to be a special education teacher at a rural high school in south Georgia and I swear some of my higher level kids have more sense than these idiots that jabber on SEC Rant that can't express themselves without using the F word. At least my students would not hold up a sign with "Go Dwags" on it.

stingyoa$$

Jolly Good Fellow
Almost everything which I thought was noteworthy has been brought out in this thread. The one other thing is something which PJ has said before. For me, this other thought is very important to help me get my head around why this year has gone like it has offensively. When asked who on the O-line is playing well, he said two are playing okay, but that's all. The best of last year's line went to the pros. He said in effect they were never all that good, that last year's backs made cuts that left the impression that the line was better than it really was.

I had thought previously that it was the opposite, that the superior line made our backs look good. But has said something close to this several times, and I have to think he knows what he's talking about.

everyone thought that the Line was responsible for the success of the running game. Seems like PJ gave most of the credit to the BB's.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
everyone thought that the Line was responsible for the success of the running game. Seems like PJ gave most of the credit to the BB's.
He would know better than anybody else, but it does seem disingenuous. Certainly they bounced along the line, but that is what running plays do, and in general O lines will allow the defender to choose his direction then drive him through it. Who knows. Johnson is at one time or another hilariously funny or an iron curtain.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I think the line last year was on a high cloud and very confident in themselves and therefore played to a higher level. I don't think that confidence translated to this season.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
My take (guess): IIRC, I think I remember Shaq saying something about making the line calls last year, and the whole OL played better as a result. This year, it sounds like each guy has to read the D, and they're reading it differently. Maybe someone can bring clarity to this question.

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
My take (guess): IIRC, I think I remember Shaq saying something about making the line calls last year, and the whole OL played better as a result. This year, it sounds like each guy has to read the D, and they're reading it differently. Maybe someone can bring clarity to this question.

If that's the case, shouldn't Burden make the line calls? He is the center.