CPJ Press Conference #HateWeek

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Let's see a show of hands...who thinks Laskey would have replicated much of last year behind this year's blocking?

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
I like knowing that the guys have that fight in them. These guys are going to get a lot better but you can't teach guys to fight. There will be games in the future where that resiliency is going to win us games as it did last year. After each loss this year I was disappointed but toward the end of the week I find myself being proud of the way the team continues to fight. It honestly says a lot, this team could have easily packed it in after the UNC game and we could've gotten blown out the rest of the year. There's been a lot of adversity this team has gone through from replacing all of the seniors at the skill positions, Leggett goin down in the spring, losing games and injuries to guys that seem to be getting thing going, beating FSU in a thriller, losing Gotsis the first play after that and JHD and Summers to quitting, losing JT on the first drive against Miami, constant turnovers, penalties, misreads, bad decisions every game... Still the guys continue to fight where it would be very easy to make an excuse for not showing up to games. Get behind the team and let's stun UGA.

Go Jackets, THWG

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Let's see a show of hands...who thinks Laskey would have replicated much of last year behind this year's blocking?

No, but what Laskey would have done is:

(1) Hold onto the football
(2) Block well without the ball on runs and pass pro
(3) Make the right reads
(4) Hit the hole fast as phuk every time (probably the fastest BB we've had to the hole so far).
(5) Find the seams and fall forward to keep us on schedule
(6) Provide some fire and some leadership

Items 2-4 would have helped Justin out a lot, and items (1) & (5) would have helped the offense a lot.

The extra frustrating thing this year is how close we've been. All we needed was just a few yards, some better consistency, and a few less turnovers.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I don't see anyway Marshall would be moved. He's already ahead of Allen and will have a year over every other Bback including Leggett.

stingyoa$$

Jolly Good Fellow
Just rewatched the Ugag game....Laskey hit the phucking hole hard every time and always picked up positive yards. He never ran backwards. How many times running the dive with him did we end up 2nd and 11? The blocks he threw in the VT game last year (4th down and the TD) were huge and without them we lose that game. Having his as a RS senior would have been huge this year and imo we would probably be going bowling. I listened to PJ's radio show last night and he even said Days and Laskey were playing at a very high level. I'd think that this being his 4th year at BB (had he RS) he would have been a monster in the backfield and provided JT some relief. Of course, we can only speculate...what if what if...

stingyoa$$

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't see anyway Marshall would be moved. He's already ahead of Allen and will have a year over every other Bback including Leggett.

Moving MM at this point with no other players with experience would be foolish IMO. It should be his to lose but obviously he has things he needs to improve. We will know a whole lot more this time next year what this team is made of. PJ can't use the "we're young" theory next year.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Lost in the terrible season is the year Clinton Lynch is having. The guy is becoming the ideal for ABs. Home run threat in the run and pass game. Third leading rusher behind Marshall and Justin, with a 9.5 ypc avg, 2nd leading receiver with a 25.2 ypc avg. 8 total TDs.

Lynch was my preseason offensive player to break out and for the first time ever in years of making guesses on both sides of the ball I got one right. I guess if you try long enough you eventually get one right!

Whether Lynch starts or not or is in the top 2 A Backs IMO doesn't really matter. He's got chemistry with Justin and seems to have knack for getting open. He's also really natural catching it over his shoulder like a WR. If he dropped one this year I can't remember it. Make no mistake Lynch is a real weapon in the passing game.

As a runner Lynch is "just enough". He won't juke you out of your cleats and he's not a power guy. Yet he has just enough wiggle and wiry strength to find a way to get more out a play when it looks like there's not much there. The kind of stuff that moves the sticks. He doesn't have elite speed but he's just fast enough with just enough vision to gash you some if there's a lot of daylight.

There is something to Lynch....I don't know if it's craftiness, or if he just has a lot of desire, or what. He just seems reliable and has been in on a lot of big plays. We get 3 more years of him. Now lets add Searcy, Green, Cottrell, Benson, Gantt, Jarrett, Lands-Davis, etc. and if we can't come up with a 5-headed monster!

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Really with MM I'm just glad he's on our team. I do recall Sims saying there was a learning curve at BB regarding making the reads and hitting the hole as fast as you need to. Maybe that aspect of his game will come along as did Sims'.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Marcus Allen has experience as a Bback in game too. He just gets hurt every game he plays.

stingyoa$$

Jolly Good Fellow
Marcus Allen has experience as a Bback in game too. He just gets hurt every game he plays.

I actually think Allen is our best BB but like you said he can't stay healthy. It's a brutal position to play. I think mosy play with some sort of pain after week 1.

YJAlleyCat

Jolly Good Fellow
Just read an article in today's sports section that, from the headline, was supposed to be about the Marshall brothers. But in typical AJC fashion, 95% of the piece was about Keith. I should have known it wasn't worth reading when I saw that the author was Chip Towers. He apparently did not talk to any of the Marshall family other than the dwag.