CPJ Press Conference #HateWeek

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Only way I would consider moving MM is if he doesn't improve on hitting the mesh faster. I was going to make a thread about this (Other than the obvious, what would you like see improved?) Maybe Laskey/Days spoiled but they look like Justin Gatlin coming out of their stance. Even Sims appeared to get to the faster that MM, which is surprising for a guy with that kind of speed

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
Only way I would consider moving MM is if he doesn't improve on hitting the mesh faster. I was going to make a thread about this (Other than the obvious, what would you like see improved?) Maybe Laskey/Days spoiled but they look like Justin Gatlin coming out of their stance. Even Sims appeared to get to the faster that MM, which is surprising for a guy with that kind of speed

He could be a little less instinctive in reading his DL keys and thus is intentionally coming out slowly.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
\Going to be hard to move Marshall away from BB though. The guy is our leading rusher as a true freshmen, and our biggest home run threat from the BB spot. Other guys may look good on paper, but they are not yet proven (some haven't even played). Marshall is. 609 yards and a 7.9 ypc average is pretty good. We still have a game to play. You would think he's only going to get stronger and faster over the offseason, and his understanding of the offense will improve.

Lost in the terrible season is the year Clinton Lynch is having. The guy is becoming the ideal for ABs. Home run threat in the run and pass game. Third leading rusher behind Marshall and Justin, with a 9.5 ypc avg, 2nd leading receiver with a 25.2 ypc avg. 8 total TDs. If Cottrill was supposed to be better...WOW, that AB group is going to be dynamic.

Almost all of the good averages Marshall has are based on the first two games. He hasn't had that many carries since he is sharing the position. What I'm saying is that I have yet to see him run through tackles consistently this year. He goes down easily, largely because he isn't big enough for the position. It isn't a coincidence that Coach's BBs have usually been 220 or better. And, btw, if he tries to get up to 220 or so, he'll lose speed. That's his largest asset. But, like I say, that's up to Coach. I know he wants a home run hitter at the position. Problem = he has to be a home run hitter who can get you 4 yards on 3rd and 3. I haven't seen Marshall do that consistently.

As to Lynch: I agree, but I doubt he'll start over Green or Cotrell or Benson (or Marshall). Indeed, if he could put on 15 or so between seasons, I'd consider moving him to BB. He's the only back we've had this year who has actually run through a tackle regularly. If he stays at AB, his lack of speed will work against him. But he'll stay in the rotation. No doubt about that.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
If MM moves to ab then we have another year of bb's with zero experience at their position.
Yes. And the BBs we have will be more suited to the position too. I'll take that exchange, especially since Leggett has two years running in the O.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Almost all of the good averages Marshall has are based on the first two games. He hasn't had that many carries since he is sharing the position. What I'm saying is that I have yet to see him run through tackles consistently this year. He goes down easily, largely because he isn't big enough for the position. It isn't a coincidence that Coach's BBs have usually been 220 or better. And, btw, if he tries to get up to 220 or so, he'll lose speed. That's his largest asset. But, like I say, that's up to Coach. I know he wants a home run hitter at the position. Problem = he has to be a home run hitter who can get you 4 yards on 3rd and 3. I haven't seen Marshall do that consistently.

As to Lynch: I agree, but I doubt he'll start over Green or Cotrell or Benson (or Marshall). Indeed, if he could put on 15 or so between seasons, I'd consider moving him to BB. He's the only back we've had this year who has actually run through a tackle regularly. If he stays at AB, his lack of speed will work against him. But he'll stay in the rotation. No doubt about that.

Um, you watching the same Marcus Marshall the rest of us are?

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/gamelog/_/id/3917814/marcus-marshall

None of our BBs has been getting a lion's share of carries the past few games. It's been spread out amongst Allen/Marshall/Skov.

Marcus Marshall isn't a bruiser type BB...he's a game breaker. That's his role. He's not a workhorse type BB. That's OK. I'm pretty sure if CPJ recruited him specifically to play BB, I don't think he's worried about his weight. The guy can get stronger and gain a bit of weight and still keep his speed. Snoddy is a good example of that. The reason MM hasn't gotten the ball more, and this is something CPJ has reiterated on his radio show, is because he needs to learn how to do the rest of the BB's job that doesn't include carrying the ball.

As for Lynch...until one of those guys actually plays a game, I'll believe it when I see it. Benson and Green are just rumors right now...and to an extent, so is Cottrill. Dude tore his ACL, it usually takes a full year before you're fully 100%. When your game is predicated on speed, tearing up your knee is not a good ingredient for speed. I hope each of those guys does beat out Lynch...because if they do, that means we have one heck of an AB stable. Lynch is just a R-Fr, and he's shown ability maybe only 2-3 ABs (Orwin Smith, Godhigh) have shown since CPJ has been here. Like I said, until those guys actually shows something on the field and not among us messageboard legend makers, I'll take the guy who actually produced on the field.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Gamebreakers belong at AB. Unless Marshall is another Dwyer, that is. And he isn't. And, btw, workhorse = BB in our O and always has. I could see him sharing the load next year, but I've watched him all of 2015 and he can't run in traffic. Period. That might improve, but I doubt it. I did get the two big games Marshall had mixed up, however; my bad.

I'll give you Benson. Nobody knows what he's got. Green, oth, started at TB for the Dwags for a year and did quite well. I expect he'll start. Cotrell might have trouble coming back, but I doubt that too. I saw him jumping off and on the bench at the FSU game and he showed absolutely no hesitation in doing it. Besides, start of fall practice = 1 year past his injury. I don't think he'll lose even a half step, but we'll see.

As we will with all of these off-season ramblings.

Last edited:

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Gamebreakers belong at AB. Unless Marshall is another Dwyer, that is. And he isn't. And, btw, workhorse = BB in our O and always has. I could see him sharing the load next year, but I've watched him all of 2015 and he can't run in traffic. Period. That might improve, but I doubt it. I did get the two big games Marshall had mixed up, however; my bad.

I'll give you Benson. Nobody knows what he's got. Green, oth, started at TB for the Dwags for a year and did quite well. I expect he'll start. Cotrell might have trouble coming back, but I doubt that too. I saw him jumping off and on the bench at the FSU game and he showed absolutely no hesitation in doing it. Besides, start of fall practice = 1 year past his injury. I don't think he'll lose even a half step, but we'll see.

As we will with all of these off-season ramblings.

I honestly think Marshall will be as good or better than Dwyer. Remember that JD had a year playing NCAA football under his belt before he came into our offense as a stud. He looked very similar to Marhsall his first year...a few big runs, very little playing time, couldn't block all that well.

Let's give the guy a chance before you write him off during his true freshman season...

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I honestly think Marshall will be as good or better than Dwyer. Remember that JD had a year playing NCAA football under his belt before he came into our offense as a stud. He looked very similar to Marhsall his first year...a few big runs, very little playing time, couldn't block all that well.

Let's give the guy a chance before you write him off during his true freshman season...
I surely hope you are right though it is a very huge expectation. And purely as a personal view, I wish we we get rid of the term "stud" altogether. Else buy a Kentucky horse farm.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
Three biggest pieces I took out of this: unless I misheard, I think he just named three of his four two-deep Abacks in 2016: Searcy, Green and Cottrell. Seems to me the others might be fighting for one spot. If it is speed he is after those three should give it to him. Two is that while I get his personality, I really do, I wish he would work just a little bit on being enthusiastic about something, or somebody, once in awhile, without reservation or qualification. It might go miles for him in the locker room because at their age the inevitable "but" or "however" has to grind at them as they wait for what they know is coming, particularly when as he says they keep playing as hard as they can. Lastly, he looks like a man just worn out and worn down by the season. Might be the lights, TV work, I dunno. But his body language and facial expressions were of a man in distress. He has reason to be, certainly, but I don't recall ever seeing him that down.
I agree with this. The only thing I'd add is that there is a press conference of his from after the 2010 UGA game on Youtube, and he looked exhausted. These guys are the most extreme type A personalities out there, but at some point three hours of sleep does more harm than good.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
See, this is valuable insight that I would have never noticed. Very interesting analysis.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I agree with this. The only thing I'd add is that there is a press conference of his from after the 2010 UGA game on Youtube, and he looked exhausted. These guys are the most extreme type A personalities out there, but at some point three hours of sleep does more harm than good.
I am going to plug this in here because it seems oddly related, er, relative. Or something. On Nov. 25 100 years ago Albert Einstein unleashed upon the world his theory of relativity. Though not intended to explain GT football, it might. Though 100 years later, unfortunately, Albert Einstein was the only guy to understand the theory, thus keeping schools like GT in business and its football unexplained.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

If you really believed this, then you would be making a post in every thread about how Marshall will move to A-Back and Lands-Davis will be moving to B-Back.

... oh, wait, nevermind.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I think the speed at which Zach and Syngyn got through the line was what made them so effective. But wouldn't you say they developed that over time? I'm guessing the more reps Marshall gets the quicker he gets.

stingyoa$$

Jolly Good Fellow
I think the speed at which Zach and Syngyn got through the line was what made them so effective. But wouldn't you say they developed that over time? I'm guessing the more reps Marshall gets the quicker he gets.

Laskey led the team in rushing the first year he played BB as a sophomore. This playing behind Sims who was the starter. I guess it depends on the individual. Some pick up all the things associated with playing a position quicker than others.