CPJ Press Conference #HateWeek

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
I like how he is realistic about not having the right players in. He knows that the guys playing today will not be playing next year. And he did say effort is not a problem, I have to believe him on that and I hope that's the case. It doesn't seem like he is to Hot on MJ being our guy. Adequate is not a description I would hope for.

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
I like how he is realistic about not having the right players in. He knows that the guys playing today will not be playing next year. And he did say effort is not a problem, I have to believe him on that and I hope that's the case. It doesn't seem like he is to Hot on MJ being our guy. Adequate is not a description I would hope for.

I was interested to hear that he thought Nathan Cotrell was the best A-back we had before he got hurt.

Jay Alexander

Jolly Good Fellow
Very telling that the a-backs we are playing with now may not play next year.

Also, his comment about Keith Marshall was interesting...coach knows he's not hurt.

Are we recruiting him?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
There is gonna be a logjam at AB next year.

Nathan Cottrill (Injury)
JJ Green (Redshirt)
Qua Searcy (Injury)
Omarhi Jarrett (Redshirt)
Kirvonte Benson (Redshirt)

Taquan Marshall (possible QB)
Mikell Lands-Davis (possible BB)

Clinton Lynch (Probable Starter)
Ike Willis
Lynn Griffin

Xavier Gantt (Commit)

Going to be interesting to see how it all shakes out. Would not surprise me to see a guy like Taquan, Mikell, and Xavier all redshirt. Seeing as how Byerly may return, could see Matthew Jordan in the AB mix as well.

BB will interesting as well:

Marcus Marshall (Probable Starter)
Marcus Allen
QFro
Mikell Lands Davis (possible AB or BB)
Dedrick Mills (Commit)

Dedrick is most likely going to redshirt, and Mikell could redshirt as well. However, Mikell is probably our 2nd best all around AB (behind Clinton Lynch) so CPJ may want to keep him there.

Cream rises to the top!

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Three biggest pieces I took out of this: unless I misheard, I think he just named three of his four two-deep Abacks in 2016: Searcy, Green and Cottrell. Seems to me the others might be fighting for one spot. If it is speed he is after those three should give it to him. Two is that while I get his personality, I really do, I wish he would work just a little bit on being enthusiastic about something, or somebody, once in awhile, without reservation or qualification. It might go miles for him in the locker room because at their age the inevitable "but" or "however" has to grind at them as they wait for what they know is coming, particularly when as he says they keep playing as hard as they can. Lastly, he looks like a man just worn out and worn down by the season. Might be the lights, TV work, I dunno. But his body language and facial expressions were of a man in distress. He has reason to be, certainly, but I don't recall ever seeing him that down.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
As I keep saying, I doubt Marshall will end up as our BB next year. It'll be either Leggett or Quaid next year, imho. I'm especially intrigued by Quaid. He could be up to 230 next year and I doubt he'll lose any speed. I think Marshall will eventually move to AB; if he was a traffic player, I think we'd see it by now. Oth, he's fast as lightening and would be mega-dangerous on the edge. But they don't pay me for that decision.

I'm not at all surprised that Coach thinks Cotrell was the class of the ABs after only a week. I told the FSU fan who sat next to me during that game that we had a guy as fast as Dion on the team and they'd see him next year. Sure enough.

I didn't think Coach was too down on Jordan; he seemed more down on himself for missing a few coaching points. It was his first big game and he looked it. But I don't doubt he'll start sometime in the future. All he needs is a spring and fall with the WRs to get the throwing fixed. He has the arm.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Competition should be great.
Xavier Grant @ ABack too
Can't forget
Christian Campbell
Mathew Jordan
or Jaylend may be switching positions

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
It didn't surprise one bit that PJ spoke specifically about Nate. I watched him for 2 years in HS. He's tough as nails, fast as lightening and the 1st time I saw him I thought he was the prototypical A back. I hope his rehab is coming along well and I cannot wait to see him take a rocket, get a crease and be the rocket personified!! KBenson ain't far behind speedwise as well and if you've seen the photos of him during his rehab you'll he chiseled 195-200 lbs as well.

There is gonna be a logjam at AB next year.

Nathan Cottrill (Injury)
JJ Green (Redshirt)
Qua Searcy (Injury)
Omarhi Jarrett (Redshirt)
Kirvonte Benson (Redshirt)

Taquan Marshall (possible QB)
Mikell Lands-Davis (possible BB)

Clinton Lynch (Probable Starter)
Ike Willis
Lynn Griffin

Xavier Gantt (Commit)

Going to be interesting to see how it all shakes out. Would not surprise me to see a guy like Taquan, Mikell, and Xavier all redshirt. Seeing as how Byerly may return, could see Matthew Jordan in the AB mix as well.

BB will interesting as well:

Marcus Marshall (Probable Starter)
Marcus Allen
QFro
Mikell Lands Davis (possible AB or BB)
Dedrick Mills (Commit)

Dedrick is most likely going to redshirt, and Mikell could redshirt as well. However, Mikell is probably our 2nd best all around AB (behind Clinton Lynch) so CPJ may want to keep him there.

Cream rises to the top!
QFro ??? I LOVE that !!!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
As I keep saying, I doubt Marshall will end up as our BB next year. It'll be either Leggett or Quaid next year, imho. I'm especially intrigued by Quaid. He could be up to 230 next year and I doubt he'll lose any speed. I think Marshall will eventually move to AB; if he was a traffic player, I think we'd see it by now. Oth, he's fast as lightening and would be mega-dangerous on the edge. But they don't pay me for that decision.

I'm not at all surprised that Coach thinks Cotrell was the class of the ABs after only a week. I told the FSU fan who sat next to me during that game that we had a guy as fast as Dion on the team and they'd see him next year. Sure enough.

I didn't think Coach was too down on Jordan; he seemed more down on himself for missing a few coaching points. It was his first big game and he looked it. But I don't doubt he'll start sometime in the future. All he needs is a spring and fall with the WRs to get the throwing fixed. He has the arm.

Totally forgot about Leggett! Good catch. Lots of competition at BB next year.

Going to be hard to move Marshall away from BB though. The guy is our leading rusher as a true freshmen, and our biggest home run threat from the BB spot. Other guys may look good on paper, but they are not yet proven (some haven't even played). Marshall is. 609 yards and a 7.9 ypc average is pretty good. We still have a game to play. You would think he's only going to get stronger and faster over the offseason, and his understanding of the offense will improve.

Lost in the terrible season is the year Clinton Lynch is having. The guy is becoming the ideal for ABs. Home run threat in the run and pass game. Third leading rusher behind Marshall and Justin, with a 9.5 ypc avg, 2nd leading receiver with a 25.2 ypc avg. 8 total TDs. If Cottrill was supposed to be better...WOW, that AB group is going to be dynamic.

The pieces are there for us to make a rebound in 2016. Guys just got to play like a team, not just a bunch of guys with talent.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
My projected 2016 starters at AB are Searcy and Green. Lynch has certainly helped himself get in the rotation. The coaches' thoughts about Cottrell were out there prior to the season starting though maybe not publicly. I only say that just to preempt any notion that it's another convenient excuse.

Yea... we've played the season without our top 2 BB (Leggett, Quaide) and our top ABs.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I thought that was a really good press conference. How can you consistently listen to PJ's answers and still hate him?
there are a whole bunch of us that don't "hate" Coach. People who cannot see that we played one of the toughest schedules in the country, with a whole bunch of freshman who were needed due to being one of the top two teams in the country hit with injuries are just blind. Yes, there were coaching errors and yet he kept us in these games in spite of the injuries and the bad luck. THWG!!!!

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
there are a whole bunch of us that don't "hate" Coach. People who cannot see that we played one of the toughest schedules in the country, with a whole bunch of freshman who were needed due to being one of the top two teams in the country hit with injuries are just blind. Yes, there were coaching errors and yet he kept us in these games in spite of the injuries and the bad luck. THWG!!!!
There are some fans who may not post much here on this site but they truly do hate the guy. It's sad.

UgagSucks

Jolly Good Fellow
The OP had a comment about coach's body language. I didn't think it was bad at all. He spoke transparently about our issues this year. I'm sure it has been tough on him and the team. The great thing is indeed all of the experience certain guys have gotten. Even better, I'm looking forward to all the hurt fellas coming back next year!

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
7 turnovers in the last 3 halves... explains the results of the last two games.

If we don't implode with turnovers we should have a good chance.

ybeenormal

Jolly Good Fellow
The OP had a comment about coach's body language. I didn't think it was bad at all. He spoke transparently about our issues this year. I'm sure it has been tough on him and the team. The great thing is indeed all of the experience certain guys have gotten. Even better, I'm looking forward to all the hurt fellas coming back next year!
Next year seems. So. Far. Away! I agree tho. Should be a dynamic group. We'll be ok