CPJ Press Conference #ALCNvsGT

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
This press conference is a combination of disappointing and infuriating. To have a coach choose to run down the program and say 6-6 is about what should be expected and anything beyond that is good just doesn’t cut it for me. As a sidewalk fan why do I want to pull for a program whose head coach spews such negativity? This program has won a national championship and been to multiple major bowl games in the last 30 years. We also had a 18 year bowl streak snapped just 3 years ago.

Why is our head coach not trying to spin the program in the most positive light possible? He is obviously willing to sacrifice the program for the sake of his reputation. I expect our Head Coach to fight FOR the program I spend my hard earned money on. Not to spew the same garbage I hear from UGA fans. How can somebody who feels so negatively about the product they are representing be expected to go out and then sell that product to the public and recruits. The answer is he can’t. Our athletic program has become a victim of its own negative self fulfilling prophecy. Problems within the program should be discussed behind closed doors, not before the first game of the year when the enthusiasm should be king.

GTFowler

Georgia Tech Fan
This press conference is a combination of disappointing and infuriating. To have a coach choose to run down the program and say 6-6 is about what should be expected and anything beyond that is good just doesn’t cut it for me. As a sidewalk fan why do I want to pull for a program whose head coach spews such negativity? This program has won a national championship and been to multiple major bowl games in the last 30 years. We also had a 18 year bowl streak snapped just 3 years ago.

Why is our head coach not trying to spin the program in the most positive light possible? He is obviously willing to sacrifice the program for the sake of his reputation. I expect our Head Coach to fight FOR the program I spend my hard earned money on. Not to spew the same garbage I hear from UGA fans. How can somebody who feels so negatively about the product they are representing be expected to go out and then sell that product to the public and recruits. The answer is he can’t. Our athletic program has become a victim of its own negative self fulfilling prophecy. Problems within the program should be discussed behind closed doors, not before the first game of the year when the enthusiasm should be king.
:cry:

Gold1

Helluva Engineer

You are about to get killed on here. Even though you are partly right

Animal02

Banned

What some cheese with that whine?

TaxJacket

Jolly Good Fellow

I mean were you just not paying attention when he was fighting against Bobinski or what? He has been fighting for more funds since DRAD left so to say he isn't fighting for the program is just dumb......

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

Fwiw, I get what you are saying, but I interpreted him differently.

I think we want a coach that is working to put the program in the best position to win.

I think it would be fantasyland thinking if a coach came out and said, we're GT so we can beat Bama with volunteer coaches, no staff, and 2nd hand High School gear. And fans have a right to expect that!

We've gone to the Orange Bowl twice under CPJ. The next previous trip was like 65 iirc.

CPJ just turned over his D staff. He's not on idle saying nothing can be done to get better.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
What some cheese with that whine?

So tell me where I’m wrong?

Now, What do you plan to do to change our school, our majors, and total investment in football?

Don’t like the data?[/QUOTE]

You need to send this to CPJ and ask him the same because we have averaged more than 6 wins a season going back to 90. Over the last 20 years of GT football we have averaged 8 wins a year. The point is why is our head coach being negative about OUR program to make him look better? He portrays us as Vandy or Iowa State without his genius when we are nothing like that.

Obviously there are issues within the program that need to be addressed but my goodness our lead spokesman for the program shouldn't be taking it to the public. And by no means should he be underselling the history of this program. If you don't see the problem here then you are apart of the problem.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer

I don’t need the head football coach to “spin” anything. I am not some petulant child that needs coddled by double speak. I am glad that Paul Johnson is a straight shooter. Unless your head has been in the sand, it is apparent that he does not find our current situation acceptable and has been working with our AD’s to improve them. What else do we want out of a coach?

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Data anyone?
What is the average over the last 30 years?
What is the average over the last 10?
What are the 5 highs over the last 30 years?

Now, What do you plan to do to change our school, our majors, and total investment in football?

Don’t like the data?

I've posted lots of data, like one game over .500 vs FBS for the last 8 years; 9-15 ACC record for the 3 last years....I could keep going.

Apparently, most folks on this board like that data, so there really isn't much more to say.

We have a mediocre program and these fans are happy with it.

As long as they have their excuses.

If your point is we are doing as well as we have over the last 30 years (which is not true), then why did we hire Johnson at double Gailey's salary? We could have kept Gailey and pocketed the $12,000,000 or so difference over the last 10 years. When we paid more, I expected more. With the exception of 2014, we haven't gotten it.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
I don’t need the head football coach to “spin” anything. I am not some petulant child that needs coddled by double speak. I am glad that Paul Johnson is a straight shooter. Unless your head has been in the sand, it is apparent that he does not find our current situation acceptable and has been working with our AD’s to improve them. What else do we want out of a coach?

I don't need to be coddled myself but whether you like it or not Paul Johnson is our lead salesman and quite frankly he sucks at it. I'm in agreement with most on here as I believe he is a pretty good coach but unfortunately it takes more than that to run a big time college football program. I simply don't find it acceptable for him to be underselling what this program has accomplished and see no reason why he would do it if it wasn't for promoting himself. And quite frankly that runs against everything I value in competitors. I'm looking for a leader willing to fall on the sword, not plunge it into the programs back.

TechTyler_17

Georgia Tech Fan
I get what the OP is saying here. As a UK fan through family ties, I appreciate Stoops being positive every year. “I think this is the best team I’ve had since I’ve been at UK. We should win a bowl game this year and compete for the East, etc.” Those are the types of expectations we should always have for our program, regardless of funding, facilities, etc. Our coach should always expect us to compete and should want the fans to have those expectations as well. If the coach and team can’t fulfill hefty expectations then there should be a change. It’s not about him feeding us BS...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
I've posted lots of data, like one game over .500 vs FBS for the last 8 years; 9-15 ACC record for the 3 last years....I could keep going.

Apparently, most folks on this board like that data, so there really isn't much more to say.

We have a mediocre program and these fans are happy with it.

As long as they have their excuses.

If your point is we are doing as well as we have over the last 30 years (which is not true), then why did we hire Johnson at double Gailey's salary? We could have kept Gailey and pocketed the $12,000,000 or so difference over the last 10 years. When we paid more, I expected more. With the exception of 2014, we haven't gotten it.

Exactly. Our program has averaged 8 wins a year over the last 2 decades. We are not a feeble program being saved by the genius of CPJ. That narrative is simply incorrect but it is amazing how many of our own people have bought it.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I cannot wait for Saturday so some of the bulls**t being posted gets put on the back burner, jeez. SSDD and it get real damn old, unless you're going to write the check to buy PJ out and then to hire his replacement, then write the checks to get the assistant coaches to the top 1/3 of the ACC, the write the check for Edge Center rebuild. I could go on and on and on at the handicaps PJ has been working under including the last 2 ADs. Tech has finally put someone in place to try and bring the program into the 21st century so how a little patience while the process works as it should have been working the last 2 decades.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I don't need to be coddled myself but whether you like it or not Paul Johnson is our lead salesman and quite frankly he sucks at it. I'm in agreement with most on here as I believe he is a pretty good coach but unfortunately it takes more than that to run a big time college football program. I simply don't find it acceptable for him to be underselling what this program has accomplished and see no reason why he would do it if it wasn't for promoting himself. And quite frankly that runs against everything I value in competitors. I'm looking for a leader willing to fall on the sword, not plunge it into the programs back.
Our AD is our lead salesman. He is the one responsible for fundraising and ensuring the GT brand grows. CPJ is our head football coach. We pay him to coach, not cheerlead. Who actually wants the coach to sugar coat things?

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I get what the OP is saying here. As a UK fan through family ties, I appreciate Stoops being positive every year. “I think this is the best team I’ve had since I’ve been at UK. We should win a bowl game this year and compete for the East, etc.” Those are the types of expectations we should always have for our program, regardless of funding, facilities, etc. Our coach should always expect us to compete and should want the fans to have those expectations as well. If the coach and team can’t fulfill hefty expectations then there should be a change. It’s not about him feeding us BS...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Every year our team goals have included winning the Coastal and then winning the ACC. CPJ does not expect or accept us to be 6-6. The team strives to win every year. When asked directly though, CPJ will be honest about our limitations.