CPJ Practice Audio

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
On the back breaking 90 yd run we had so many misplays on D.

First of all, I don't know where AJ Gray was going but he walked himself completely out of the play and never made a move toward the ball carrier. I have no idea what he was looking at, but it couldn't have been anybody with a pigskin under his arm. Next, Jabari seemed to be right in position to make a play. Yeah, the OL might have grabbed him for a second, but it's not like he pulled him down or out of position. He still was in the perfect spot, then suddenly the runner cut to the right and JH was left flailing at air. Then, inexplicably, we have 3 db's bunched up within a half yard of each other on the right hash. Wtf? If even one of those guys was a step closer to the middle they'd be in position to make a play.

The only guy who makes a valiant effort (when it matters) is PJ Davis who fights off a 300 pound OL to get a hand on Prosise. (Hmmm, their OL's had no trouble getting to our mike.) I'm glad we had guys in pursuit all the way down field, but this play was lost earlier with bad eyes/awareness/reaction and unsound fundamentals.

These guys are my guys and I don't mean to throw them under the bus. But I think it's fair to criticize guys when they do bad and praise them when they do good. We had several outstanding plays on D including DJ's int.

Also, if some of you see this play differently, it's ok with me. I welcome your opinion.

2:44

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer

First of all, I don't know where AJ Gray was going but he walked himself completely out of the play and never made a move toward the ball carrier. I have no idea what he was looking at, but it couldn't have been anybody with a pigskin under his arm. Next, Jabari seemed to be right in position to make a play. Yeah, the OL might have grabbed him for a second, but it's not like he pulled him down or out of position. He still was in the perfect spot, then suddenly the runner cut to the right and JH was left flailing at air. Then, inexplicably, we have 3 db's bunched up within a half yard of each other on the right hash. Wtf? If even one of those guys was a step closer to the middle they'd be in position to make a play.

The only guy who makes a valiant effort (when it matters) is PJ Davis who fights off a 300 pound OL to get a hand on Prosise. (Hmmm, their OL's had no trouble getting to our mike.) I'm glad we had guys in pursuit all the way down field, but this play was lost earlier with bad eyes/awareness/reaction and unsound fundamentals.

These guys are my guys and I don't mean to throw them under the bus. But I think it's fair to criticize guys when they do bad and praise them when they do good. We had several outstanding plays on D including DJ's int.

Also, if some of you see this play differently, it's ok with me. I welcome your opinion.

Give credit where it is due to the ND blocking on that play. It was excellent. PJ let himself get turned around, though, and had to spin a circle to get back in the play and it was too late. The DBs bunched together looks bad, but the WRs were doing a good job blocking, as well. JH got juked for sure, but I think he gets his paws on the rb if he's not grabbed and yanked. So... mix of poor D and good O execution, for sure.

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer
I think the correct time for the play is 1:50. The whole video is only 2:44.

If you slow it down to 25% speed, at 1:54/1:55 you can see ND #79 clearly pushing JH to the ground on the back of his right shoulder. As JH is doing a face plant, #79 is extending out. The umpire is standing right there with them.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think the correct time for the play is 1:50. The whole video is only 2:44.

If you slow it down to 25% speed, at 1:54/1:55 you can see ND #79 clearly pushing JH to the ground on the back of his right shoulder. As JH is doing a face plant, #79 is extending out. The umpire is standing right there with them.
1:44 is the correct time, thanks.

I think you might be right about the push, I can't figure out why JH fell down right there. It's hard to tell if it was a push or it JH just tripped and fell. We start the play with 2 deep safeties and neither one is in position to ever have a chance to stop the run. What does the word "safety" mean? Also, Freeman's effort on the play is pretty weak. I bet he got marked for that one. He's not directly involved, but he just jogs and watches instead of busting his arse when it could have mattered.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I think he's (pardon the pun) more defensive about his offense. He is our head coach and offensive coordinator, and he speaks from that perspective, that is, not from the perspective of head coach only.

However, the point he makes is valid (and not just because it agrees with what I've said before) about fan expectations. Our performance over the last several years has resulted in many GT fans having a skewed way of looking at games. If the offense doesn't score practically every time they have the ball, then there's something wrong with the O. If the defense forces like more than 3 punts, then they've had a good game.

He like the expectation on the O, but thinks fans should be a bit more realistic about likelihoods given opposition. He thinks fan attitude toward our D should be comparable to this as well.

At least that's what I took away.
Makes sense.

Or to put it very simplistically, once in a while your team needs to win a defensive struggle and the defense on Saturday did not play to that level. Tech had a hard time scoring but if we had made it just as hard for Notre Dame to score we would have won the game.

But you and coach are right, our expectations for this offense are much higher than that.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I also think the pool of players is much larger today than it was in Dodd's day. We might lose a couple more prospects to other programs. But I think we would replace them with other solid players like we do currently.
I think this is correct. Most of this "expanded pool of players" that we have now would not have gone to Tech in Dodd's day either. That leaves many more players who fit into the "Tech material" category available today that Dodd would have had.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

There was an end zone camera view replay on TV that shows Hunt being grabbed twice. He gets away from the first grab but is slowed down considerably by the second one. He finally just lunges at the ball carrier to pull away from the last grab.

"Technically" this is what you call good blocking. Just wish our "holding" on JT's touchdown had been as technically good.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Or to put it very simplistically, once in a while your team needs to win a defensive struggle and the defense on Saturday did not play to that level. Tech had a hard time scoring but if we had made it just as hard for Notre Dame to score we would have won the game.

The defense gave the ball to our offense on the ND 39 and 34 and the offense got 0 points from either. The offense gave the ball to ND on the 18 and the defense held them to 3. Hell the only offense we got before garbage time was a drive that started after the defense came up with a big momentum changing turnover. You don't win defensive battles by defense alone. You win them by playing good defense while capitalizing on the few opportunities you get on offense. We only did one of the two which is why we lost.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
The issue with the missed assignments is distinguishing between mistakes made because the other guy beat our guy and circumstances where we just goofed (think Skov running the wrong way on third down). If the number of the latter was higher, then that's fixable. I still have tremendous confidence in our coach and our players. One bad game doesn't change that.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The defense gave the ball to our offense on the ND 39 and 34 and the offense got 0 points from either. The offense gave the ball to ND on the 18 and the defense held them to 3. Hell the only offense we got before garbage time was a drive that started after the defense came up with a big momentum changing turnover. You don't win defensive battles by defense alone. You win them by playing good defense while capitalizing on the few opportunities you get on offense. We only did one of the two which is why we lost.
Well, you are describing the way it felt to me at the time. I am just trying to reconcile CPJ's comments and the explanation that was given for those remarks.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Folks, we have gotten used to some mediocre defense. I have only looked at the first half so far, but I would say CPJ is right on. There are a lot of games won with 22 points in CFB by teams who play excellent defense. I think that is the only point CPJ is trying to make. We did play well on defense, but not consistently.

As an added point: it is pointless to obsess about holding in any game. There is so much of it on film, that when you slow it down, it will drive you crazy if you let it. A certain level of holding (and pushing off for that matter) has become part of the game. Get used to it.

strong90

Jolly Good Fellow
Some years ago, all it took for a holding call was if an offensive lineman extended his arms. Any contact with a WR while the ball was in the air was interference. The game has changed. Gotta overcome those plays. The players know that better than we do.