CPJ Practice Audio

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Snoddy update... will announce Thursday after practice.

Players may make trip but still may not play (burn shirt).

TB can apply for medical RS, but it's not guaranteed.

Burden is "good to go"

We have 7 guys on offense "out"

Lot of injuries we'll know "status" on Thursday

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Tim has an open door to return if he wishes.

CPJ also said Justin had a really good practice.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
7 guys out? Anyone have knowledge of all 7?
Perhaps he's referring to who was unavailable at the end of ND, so I'm going to guess Griffin, Cottrell, Searcy, Summers, Byerly, Burden, Snoddy. Maybe Leggett is on the list too.

305jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Is TB out for the year for sure? I saw him walking on campus at ND before the game with his family, feel for the kid.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Regarding injuries, going back to 105 scholarships would not be a good thing at all. This is what hurt Tech so bad in the 60s. Dodd talked about it in his book. Schools used to be allowed 140 total scholarships for football + basketball. The big teams were sucking up all of the talent and making it tough for us to compete. If they go to 105 then I think you'll see a lot of the same thing. Factories suck up more talent that ultimately sits on the bench, while other schools struggle to field as competitive a team. I really hope this doesn't happen.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Brigham decided to quit playing because of repeated concussions. He was on the team during Spring Practice and played very well in the Spring game. I think he told Johnson he was giving up football just prior to fall camp, so technically, he would have been in the mix for the 2015 roster on offense.

Go Jackets!

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Point about the seven is that CPJ said, "These are all players who would have played."

As for going to 95 on roster, I had similar concerns about that as expressed above. I guess CPJ remains confident in his recruiting ability and thinks he could still compete with the factories to fill his roster.

Now for a slightly controversial issue. Has anyone noticed that CPJ seems to (almost) have a tendency to throw the defense under the bus? To suggest that the problem in the Duke game was mostly the defense or that the defense against Notre Dame was just "all right, not where we want to be," seems a little harsh. His offense, however, is allowed to have "a bad day at the office." I really love our coach so I am not trying to stir anything up. It just seems like he rides the defense harder than the offense sometimes and I find myself wondering how that goes over with CTR.

Yes, most of the time defense has been the problem but does anyone else see what I am talking about?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think he over simplifies our issues on offense. Yes, we blew 70+ assignments, but the opposition had a huge part in that. We don't blow that many vs other teams, guess why? You don't execute in a vacuum. The opposition is trying it's damndest to prevent you from doing so.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I think he over simplifies our issues on offense. Yes, we blew 70+ assignments, but the opposition had a huge part in that. We don't blow that many vs other teams, guess why? You don't execute in a vacuum. The opposition is trying it's damndest to prevent you from doing so.

AMEN! ^^^^ The Jimmies and Joes have to "execute" even when the other team's Jimmies and Joes don't want them too!

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I think he is usually equally critical of both sides of the ball. Our D showed up more than the O vs ND and I think his comments indicated the same thought. But we gave up some big plays along with playing pretty good overall. So the D performance left a lot to be desired. Points plus yards given up were not great at all. If the D ever holds anyone to 17 or less I think you will hear him give high praise. He still won't pass up opportunities to criticize until the perfect game is played. And that won't ever happen.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Point about the seven is that CPJ said, "These are all players who would have played."

As for going to 95 on roster, I had similar concerns about that as expressed above. I guess CPJ remains confident in his recruiting ability and thinks he could still compete with the factories to fill his roster.

Now for a slightly controversial issue. Has anyone noticed that CPJ seems to (almost) have a tendency to throw the defense under the bus? To suggest that the problem in the Duke game was mostly the defense or that the defense against Notre Dame was just "all right, not where we want to be," seems a little harsh. His offense, however, is allowed to have "a bad day at the office." I really love our coach so I am not trying to stir anything up. It just seems like he rides the defense harder than the offense sometimes and I find myself wondering how that goes over with CTR.

Yes, most of the time defense has been the problem but does anyone else see what I am talking about?

I think he's (pardon the pun) more defensive about his offense. He is our head coach and offensive coordinator, and he speaks from that perspective, that is, not from the perspective of head coach only.

However, the point he makes is valid (and not just because it agrees with what I've said before) about fan expectations. Our performance over the last several years has resulted in many GT fans having a skewed way of looking at games. If the offense doesn't score practically every time they have the ball, then there's something wrong with the O. If the defense forces like more than 3 punts, then they've had a good game.

He like the expectation on the O, but thinks fans should be a bit more realistic about likelihoods given opposition. He thinks fan attitude toward our D should be comparable to this as well.

At least that's what I took away.

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Regarding injuries, going back to 105 scholarships would not be a good thing at all. This is what hurt Tech so bad in the 60s. Dodd talked about it in his book. Schools used to be allowed 140 total scholarships for football + basketball. The big teams were sucking up all of the talent and making it tough for us to compete. If they go to 105 then I think you'll see a lot of the same thing. Factories suck up more talent that ultimately sits on the bench, while other schools struggle to field as competitive a team. I really hope this doesn't happen.

I agree it wouldn't be a good thing, but I don't think it would hurt us too bad. There aren't a whole lot of our top players who would go somewhere else but for a lack of a scholarship. There are certainly some who may, but at the end of the day I think you'd still see a lot of players choose to go to non-factories so they can play (e.g. someone isn't going to want to be the fourth RB in uga's / bama's recruiting class).

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I also think the pool of players is much larger today than it was in Dodd's day. We might lose a couple more prospects to other programs. But I think we would replace them with other solid players like we do currently.