CPJ on Shamire

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I want to see the more second string players in the game because:
1) it develops the second string players; they will play one day and many will be called upon at the spur of the moment based on injury to the starter
2) second string players who are rested can be better than first string who are tired (depends on the talent gap)
3) it shows who is a gamer; some people must practice better than they play in the game (Chamberlain)
4) it increases competition among players which, although uncomfortable for some, brings out the best
5) reduces chance of injury to starters due to fatigue or playing in less important parts of the game.

I don't have an issue with any of these reasons to want to see more second stringers in the game. I largely agree.

I am right there as well with those who are sentimental about wanting to see Shamire or Synjyn play. I am fond of both of them from what I have seen of their demeanor, effort, and how they carry themselves as Tech representatives. They are easy to root for (as most Tech players are) so I sympathize with the desire to see them in games.

I specifically say I don't understand the "degree" of impatience voiced at times in some of these posts. It is a matter of degree of reaction in a positive or negative direction. If someone goes too far about "why isn't so and so playing?" and "I want more back-up X" then it makes me react to try and swing the pendulum back to more balance.

Basically, it is nice to have the problem of thinking our second string is so close to the first that we all want to see more of them in games.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
1) it develops the second string players; they will play one day and many will be called upon at the spur of the moment based on injury to the starter
2) second string players who are rested can be better than first string who are tired (depends on the talent gap)
3) it shows who is a gamer; some people must practice better than they play in the game (Chamberlain)
4) it increases competition among players which, although uncomfortable for some, brings out the best
5) reduces chance of injury to starters due to fatigue or playing in less important parts of the game.

I agree. And there has to be some PT reward for players like O'Reilly (virtually even with Burden in a battle over 8 weeks of practice), Syn Days (lots of talk on this forum), and Byerly who carried the first team load in the spring game and some of the scrimmages and (1) and (5) above. It seems that Roof is working a good plan to build depth with the D and reward players with PT who have earned it in practice. IMO The O needs to follow that example.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer

good points
6) it helps recruiting to see a lot play,if you aren't 1st unit you still play

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
good points
6) it helps recruiting to see a lot play,if you aren't 1st unit you still play

We are in a transition IMO to recruiting better and better athletes each year. If there is no commitment of a chance for playing time we will not get the best athletes to consider gt. . No one is asking that the second string guys get significant time. I especially think this is true on defense - suggest we model it like Okla state or Baylor for the D line ( here in texas we often see them on tv.) They liberally substitute the entire game in every game not just when they play top teams.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I want to see Devine play because when he is in the game / scrimmage he gets a lot of movement out of the guy across from him, even more so than the guy who starts in his place. I suspect the reasons for him not winning the job have to do with conditioning level and assignment discipline. You don't want to have to replace your starter every other series because he is gassed. Continuity matters. Also, knowing who to block every play matters. The upside for Devine at OL is probably higher than any player we have currently, including Mason. I am absolutely confident in saying that. I understand why he is not starting if he doesn't have the endurance yet, but I don't understand why he has gotten no snaps.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I want to see Devine play because when he is in the game / scrimmage he gets a lot of movement out of the guy across from him, even more so than the guy who starts in his place. I suspect the reasons for him not winning the job have to do with conditioning level and assignment discipline. You don't want to have to replace your starter every other series because he is gassed. Continuity matters. Also, knowing who to block every play matters. The upside for Devine at OL is probably higher than any player we have currently, including Mason. I am absolutely confident in saying that. I understand why he is not starting if he doesn't have the endurance yet, but I don't understand why he has gotten no snaps.

I don't think it's just endurance. If our coaches thought he was the best LG, he'd get as many snaps as he could endure, imo.

new jacket404

Georgia Tech Fan
I think SD can help.if he can't i figure you would want to see bfore your bigger games .not asking to see him start wait your turn ,i get that part .no substitute at all i dont get that .( patience) i got it:) . Stay healthy. To play a nother game .go jackets

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I think SD can help.if he can't i figure you would want to see bfore your bigger games .not asking to see him start wait your turn ,i get that part .no substitute at all i dont get that .( patience) i got it:) . Stay healthy. To play a nother game .go jackets
I agree and I think we all are very excited and a bit impatient to see more of Devine. I know I have been ever since one of his camp videos from high school had him tossing rushing defenders to the ground right and left.

I don't think there is a big conspiracy though. Since CPJ has said a couple times that "we have to get him in the game" then I suspect that it may have just been more of a "heat of the moment" issue that Sewak or Rychleski, whichever coach is responsible for getting the linemen together and sending them in during the game, has just not been calling Devine's number. Probably without really thinking about it or maybe they didn't want to just do a one for one switch at a position but also were afraid to send in a whole line change and risk disrupting momentum.

I am obviously just guessing but I suspect there may be nothing more to read into Devine's not getting snaps than some sort of more innocent lack of personnel changes being made by a line coach in the heat of the game.