CPJ on Jay Jones

Yomanser

Recruiting Insider
Retired Staff
Hi all -
This thread (among others) is getting into the territory where it's no longer a viable discussion area and starting to simply become a place for public personal attacks. I hate locking threads and deleting posts and such, but we here at GTSwarm do not wish to foster such a negative environment that led to the downfall and exodus of other Georgia Tech forums. Let's all simply take a step back and cool off, keeping the attacks to a minimum and bringing this thread back on track

We as a staff have not had to intervene much with threads in previous weeks (which is a testament to the temperament of all of you posters, so thank you for your self-moderation), but the past week or so have seen some negative behaviors starting to emerge. Let's nip this in the bud as soon as possible and keep this forum as reasonable and civil as it has been in the past. The staff will intervene if necessary, so let's not make it necessary. This includes personal insults and attacks against fellow members, engaging in inappropriate behavior, and making comments that don't contribute to the board but rather bring down the high quality of discussion that we have become used to

Thank you all for your cooperation, insight, and civility that continues to make this board one of the best environments for Georgia Tech fans on the Internet

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I was thinking...each of these QB's bring something different to the table. Someone else (@AE 87 I think) said it would be nice to have MJ and whomever because the opposing DC's would have to plan for two different games.

MJ - great at the mid-line, strong between-the-tackles runner, decent arm
TM - shifty runner, quick, decisive, adequate passer
LJ - tall, strong, quick runner, excellent passer
JJ - good size, elusive runner, quick, decent arm

So, what if...1st down, you line up LJ and JJ at WR, MJ at QB, TM at A-Back. 2nd down JJ at QB, MJ and TM at A-Back and LJ at WR. 3rd down LJ at QB, MJ and TM at A-Back and JJ at WR.

The defense wouldn't know who was going to be QB until the start to line-up after breaking the huddle. You could run any configuration of our offense without having to make personnel changes. Whatever the defense alignment was set for, we could do something different. Now, I don't think this would ever happen, but it's kind of fun thinking about it, and it's the off-season.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
I was thinking...each of these QB's bring something different to the table. Someone else (@AE 87 I think) said it would be nice to have MJ and whomever because the opposing DC's would have to plan for two different games.

So, what if...1st down, you line up LJ and JJ at WR, MJ at QB, TM at A-Back. 2nd down JJ at QB, MJ and TM at A-Back and LJ at WR. 3rd down LJ at QB, MJ and TM at A-Back and JJ at WR.

The defense wouldn't know who was going to be QB until the start to line-up after breaking the huddle. You could run any configuration of our offense without having to make personnel changes. Whatever the defense alignment was set for, we could do something different. Now, I don't think this would ever happen, but it's kind of fun thinking about it, and it's the off-season.
That would be an interesting wildcat series. Is what I call thinking outside the box.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer

I like a 2 QB split where (if MJ starts) the other QB comes in on 3rd or 4th with 7 yards or more to go. The short yardage (less than 7) QB would already be in the game. Dodd masterfully used two QBs quite often to great success. These 4 QBs this year puts us in a unique situation to give the opposing D some serious prep work.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
I think it was Calvin Coolidge that said WTTE that if you see ten troubles coming down the road at you, nine of them will probably run into the ditch before they get to you. Four years ago, we were talking about how we were going to get Lee and Thomas in the backfield at the same time. That worked out differently than anyone thought. Somebody's going to get banged up and need his backup, somebody's going to come to the conclusion they will play more at another position and ask to be moved, somebody's going to get an injury that causes them to red shirt, etc. CPJ has seen it all. I was amazed that he essentially cut Vad Lee after going to the trouble of putting in a new offense for him. Whomever he puts at qb will be the one that moves the offense the best whether passing or running. The good thing is we aren't discussing whether we bite the bullet and bench the senior qb to build for the future. I really think the next two years are going to be the best offensively we have seen under CPJ.

1BearJACKET

Jolly Good Fellow
I just replied to someone else on what I was trying to get at, so I think you are misunderstanding what I'm trying to get at. My point was a guy like JT can win you games when you need a BIG play late and it's close. His athleticism allowed us to win the UGA and GSU game in 2014 and the Duke game in 2016. Do you think tevin could have got out of the blitz against GSU and throw that TD pass ? Or run to the 40 to set up a field goal for the tie against UGA? Or escape two guys up the middle in our own end zone and run to the 50 against Duke? His athleticism won us games that without it we could have easily lost. That's why I brought up JJ and why I think people are so high on him, because he has the ability to make the BIG plays with his athleticism when you need it. How good JT was, was not my point.

If I remember correctly, JT put us in a hole in the 2014 game vs. UGA. The scramble near the end of regulation and his TD pass to Waller in the 1st half keep him from being a goat for a loss. His two turnovers whether we believe they were legit or not still count, and they accounted for 14 points for the Mutts.

I'll give him credit for the vicory in Athens in 2016 because he played lights out. But he is in my mind at the back of the line when I'm giving out credit for the 2014 win.

1. Zach Laskey 140+ yds rushing and 3 TD
1a. Shaq Mason for paving the way.

2. Isaiah Johnson caused 1 fumble and recovered another to prevent what would've been 2 Mutt TDs.

3. DJ White, "the Pick" secured the victory when we scored in OT but the XP was blocked.

4. Adam Gotsis, blocked FG and general mayhem in the trenches.

5. Keshun Freeman, key run stop in OT one play prior to "the Pick".

6. Harrison Butker, "the Kick".

JT can get in line behind these guys for credit for UGA win in 2014.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
If I remember correctly, JT put us in a hole in the 2014 game vs. UGA. The scramble near the end of regulation and his TD pass to Waller in the 1st half keep him from being a goat for a loss. His two turnovers whether we believe they were legit or not still count, and they accounted for 14 points for the Mutts.

I'll give him credit for the vicory in Athens in 2016 because he played lights out. But he is in my mind at the back of the line when I'm giving out credit for the 2014 win.

1. Zach Laskey 140+ yds rushing and 3 TD
1a. Shaq Mason for paving the way.

2. Isaiah Johnson caused 1 fumble and recovered another to prevent what would've been 2 Mutt TDs.

3. DJ White, "the Pick" secured the victory when we scored in OT but the XP was blocked.

4. Adam Gotsis, blocked FG and general mayhem in the trenches.

5. Keshun Freeman, key run stop in OT one play prior to "the Pick".

6. Harrison Butker, "the Kick".

JT can get in line behind these guys for credit for UGA win in 2014.
JT won us the UGA game in 2014 at the last part of the game. JT didn't put us in a hole, the refs did. I can agree with the call on the second turnover, but no way on the first. Without the first turnover the second one might have not even mattered. Without those plays you mentioned we could have lost but it was JT that made the final to last play to set up for the tie, you can't get any better than that. I understand it's a team sport, and those other guys contributed to the win, but you are missing my point. JT has an athleticism that allowed us to win those games I mentioned, that's the type of atheletic ability JJ has, and that's why, imo so many people are high on him.

1BearJACKET

Jolly Good Fellow
JT won us the UGA game in 2014 at the last part of the game. JT didn't put us in a hole, the refs did. I can agree with the call on the second turnover, but no way on the first. Without the first turnover the second one might have not even mattered. Without those plays you mentioned we could have lost but it was JT that made the final to last play to set up for the tie, you can't get any better than that. I understand it's a team sport, and those other guys contributed to the win, but you are missing my point. JT has an athleticism that allowed us to win those games I mentioned, that's the type of atheletic ability JJ has, and that's why, imo so many people are high on him.
Yes JT was athletic as all get out but was fundamentally unsound whe it came to ball security. He had more than a few turnovers at the end of a long run because he was holding the ball loosely or in the wrong arm when running the ball outside of the hashmarks. He did this in 2014 and 2015, and it took him until his 3rd year as a starter to finally correct this FUNDAMENTAL flaw. To his credit, he did get it corrected.

I was super excited about the big TD run that Lucas Johnson had until I saw the replay on TV when I got home and saw the same flaw.

I really don't care how fast a guy is, if he spends more time running east-west than north-south and has problems with ball security.

My priorities for QB are:
1. Make correct reads
2. Ball security
3. Move the ball down the field and put the team in position to score.

Track star speed, hip wiggle, and slipperyness are icing on the cake if you have the 1st 3 of these locked down.

If you don't have the 1st 3, then STAY OFF THE FIELD.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Yes JT was athletic as all get out but was fundamentally unsound whe it came to ball security. He had more than a few turnovers at the end of a long run because he was holding the ball loosely or in the wrong arm when running the ball outside of the hashmarks. He did this in 2014 and 2015, and it took him until his 3rd year as a starter to finally correct this FUNDAMENTAL flaw. To his credit, he did get it corrected.

I was super excited about the big TD run that Lucas Johnson had until I saw the replay on TV when I got home and saw the same flaw.

I really don't care how fast a guy is, if he spends more time running east-west than north-south and has problems with ball security.

1. Make correct reads
2. Ball security

Track star speed, hip wiggle, and slipperyness are icing on the cake if you have the 1st 3 of these locked down.

I agree reads is the number thing, I've even said that. I'm confident CPJ will have the best there as well.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
Would be really nice to have 20 OL CPJ felt comfortable with.

1. Make correct reads
2. Ball security

The AP/DM video on that thread is a master class in ball security, and I believe turnovers are wildly underrated as a "stat."

That being said, I care a lot how fast a runner is and whether he is elusive. No one has ever learned to be as fast as Justin is, starting at say...how fast I am.

And these two things don't have anything to do with each other -- I'm no AE, but I don't think there are meaningful interactions between running speed, related shear stress and ball security. Hopefully the freshmen can learn your 1,2, 3's.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
Hi all -
This thread (among others) is getting into the territory where it's no longer a viable discussion area and starting to simply become a place for public personal attacks. I hate locking threads and deleting posts and such, but we here at GTSwarm do not wish to foster such a negative environment that led to the downfall and exodus of other Georgia Tech forums. Let's all simply take a step back and cool off, keeping the attacks to a minimum and bringing this thread back on track

We as a staff have not had to intervene much with threads in previous weeks (which is a testament to the temperament of all of you posters, so thank you for your self-moderation), but the past week or so have seen some negative behaviors starting to emerge. Let's nip this in the bud as soon as possible and keep this forum as reasonable and civil as it has been in the past. The staff will intervene if necessary, so let's not make it necessary. This includes personal insults and attacks against fellow members, engaging in inappropriate behavior, and making comments that don't contribute to the board but rather bring down the high quality of discussion that we have become used to

Thank you all for your cooperation, insight, and civility that continues to make this board one of the best environments for Georgia Tech fans on the Internet

Pssshh...who died and made you Eric.

giphy.gif

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
Not a good fit for this O, imo. Too long and lanky. Has good speed once he gets going but doesn't have that dynamic burst in a small space.

Vad Lee 2.0
I think lee would have been fine, ie had the athletic tools in this offense, if he wanted to be here. No one came preform up to there capabilities if they don't like being somewhere. Not judging him.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
What many are in a tizzy about is the praise of JJ being an elite athletic talent. Which is awesome. But does not alone make for a great QB.

That same athleticism can be used at multiple positions in our O to create game changing plays like JT made at QB. Calvin made those for us at WR, ditto BayBay (though they were different in size and athletic attributes). Of players with roughly JJ's size and attributes (arguably), I'd cite Peter Warrick and Barry Sanders, players at WR and TB that were elusive, fast, hard as hell to tackle and absolute game breakers. Yes it is way way too early to prognosticate JJ as this level of a playmaker, I'm just stating that the skill sets cited for him can be utilized at multiple positions, other than QB, to make game changing plays.

For the record I think JJ has more going for him than just raw athleticism. And QB might be the absolute best position for him long term. But as time marches on it might also become apparent another position suits him better. If he can run like Barry Sanders, throw like Dan Marino, and execute our O like Tracy Hamm (this is the most important attribute IMO)....I'll be a happy Tech fan. Time will tell. I'm rooting for all equally.
I was watching Ron Jaworski when he went on a riff about the most desirable attributes for a QB: leadership is first, he said, then arm strength. Then 30 seconds later said Tribiski should go first because of arm strength. Go figure, but it's TV. The best I have read about concerns 4th quarter performance only as the measure of leadership and reacting to pressure. There Clemson's Watson was head and shoulders above anyone in the draft. So I think what that means is that leadership above all else, and then I remember some of the performances by Thomas late and think that must be right. 4th and 15, VT, anyone?

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
Not a good fit for this O, imo. Too long and lanky. Has good speed once he gets going but doesn't have that dynamic burst in a small space.

Vad Lee 2.0
LJ is 6.3 and JFN was 6.1. That is not that big of a difference. I agree that I think he could benefit by putting on a little weight. The problem with Vad is that he didn't want to run the TO. After the hit against UNC he was done. LJ has the tools to run the TO now it is just a matter of "want to"

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
LJ is 6.3 and JFN was 6.1. That is not that big of a difference. I agree that I think he could benefit by putting on a little weight. The problem with Vad is that he didn't want to run the TO. After the hit against UNC he was done. LJ has the tools to run the TO now it is just a matter of "want to"
2 inches is huge when it comes to sports especially Football imo.