CPJ on Jay Jones

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
What's out of context ? He said Jay Jones may be the fastest and quickest QB he's seen on the Flats. I'm shocked to hear that considering we just graduated a guy who was probably the quickest and fastest QB we've seen ever at Tech.

I didn't imply, nor did the quote, that he's the presumptive starter or anything like that but the fact that we have CPJ making that statement about a RS Freshman is pretty impressive.

Edited to add: its amazing how much "Slawdog" and "Rock" creep out of their holes when there is every any positive comment about any QB not named Mathew Jordan. In this case, I speak from experience as my brother was a D1 starting PG, but you really really should keep the fan forums to fans if you can't handle the slightest bit of criticism of your loved one. I know its hard, I really do, but its just not worth it. In the event that things get sideways during this year, you're really not going to like this board.

This is hilarious to me.
So I am limited in my opinion.
Criticism?
I was saying the same thing ABOUT MJ when he was running with the 2-3's and looked good.

Calm down guy.
You got a RS Freshman that has never smelled the field and prob at least #4 ( I don't know who #1 is) wining the hiesman and being the team leader.

Yes, IMO, it was taken out of context.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Imo the reason we had 2 of our best seasons under CPJ in 2014, and 2016 is because of JT. He just had that "it" factor, and so I think that's why so many of us are high on JJ. Now he might not have that "it" factor, but from the comments we have heard from CPJ and the spring game, it seems from the small sample size, that he does have that "it" factor. It takes a special athleticism to create some of the plays JT was able to produce, and when it's a close game that's what you need sometimes. It can literally be the difference from having a 6 or 7 win season to a 9 or 10 win season. Look at the games JT set us up to win, that without that athleticism we could have lost, UGA, GSU, DUKE. Now, I'm not saying with more of a bruiser QB we can't have great seasons with 9+ wins, that all depends on if they make the right reads and the supporting cast just like it does with a more atheletic guy, but I think a guy like JJ just excites us, because we see what can happen with a player like him.

What many are in a tizzy about is the praise of JJ being an elite athletic talent. Which is awesome. But does not alone make for a great QB.

That same athleticism can be used at multiple positions in our O to create game changing plays like JT made at QB. Calvin made those for us at WR, ditto BayBay (though they were different in size and athletic attributes). Of players with roughly JJ's size and attributes (arguably), I'd cite Peter Warrick and Barry Sanders, players at WR and TB that were elusive, fast, hard as hell to tackle and absolute game breakers. Yes it is way way too early to prognosticate JJ as this level of a playmaker, I'm just stating that the skill sets cited for him can be utilized at multiple positions, other than QB, to make game changing plays.

For the record I think JJ has more going for him than just raw athleticism. And QB might be the absolute best position for him long term. But as time marches on it might also become apparent another position suits him better. If he can run like Barry Sanders, throw like Dan Marino, and execute our O like Tracy Hamm (this is the most important attribute IMO)....I'll be a happy Tech fan. Time will tell. I'm rooting for all equally.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
We have an embarrassment of riches at the skill positions this year. We would move TQM or Jay if there was clear separation and a spot to see the field, but that's just not the case. The possible spots are AB, WR, and DB which are each loaded and loaded with experience. None would be natural at BB, and we have the nuts at #1 there with 2 extremely capable guys behind him and a couple of promising freshman for emergencies.

I want the guy that doesn't make negative plays (turnovers, sacks, running backwards when not necessary). Right now I think that's MJ, but each can do something special. This year I think we'll see some split duty quarterbacking, and not just at the goal line. It can be dealt if MJ is in the mix because we can make defenses have to prep for 2 different strengths in running the base stuff.

The success of this season rides on the lines and our leadership by SAs. If we have guys who are desperate to get it done now instead of thinking about what's coming next year, we can perform 2014 level or beyond.

Deleted member 2897

Quarterbacks can play multiple positions in our office.

Unfortunately (FORTUNATELY) we are extremely deep at BB, AB, and WR. Its probably not as useful as it was in recent past to move a QB elsewhere right now. We're probably better off continuing to have them focus 100% on learning the offense. 3 of these 4 QBs are currently either injured or banged up. In 4 months if we have 4 QBs that are all uninjured, then we can deal with that 'problem' when we get there.

Think about Alabama, their new 5* QB is looking great so far. So Jalen Hurts, who just took them to the National Championships does what? 1 of the 2 of them isn't going to play, and they both have many years left. It happens, so folks need to be patient. Matthew Jordan graduates this spring. What if his foot never gets better God forbid? He might just hang up the cleats, who knows. There is a long runway left before we have to make any decisions.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
This is hilarious to me.
So I am limited in my opinion.
Criticism?
I was saying the same thing ABOUT MJ when he was running with the 2-3's and looked good.

Calm down guy.
You got a RS Freshman that has never smelled the field and prob at least #4 ( I don't know who #1 is) wining the hiesman and being the team leader.

Yes, IMO, it was taken out of context.

You and Slawdog routinely laugh off, or diminish, any positive comments about other QBs. It's really annoying and not a good look for you or your family. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I hope Jordan starts and plays really well. I'm excited to see what he can do day in and day out, and he deserves his chance.

That being said, no one said "heisman", no one said "team leader". This is you, once again, getting your feelings hurt that MJ isn't getting enough love on this board. If anyone needs to "calm down", its you.

If we have a good season, Jordan will get allll the love he can handle on this board. This is the offseason and generally time to get excited about younger players, backups, and the future of the program.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
From what I remember, JJ and TM played mostly against the 1's. LJ played mostly against the 2's.

Fine, I concede. He's the fastest QB we've ever had...hell, maybe even the fastest player. Probably faster than Bo or Deion too...good things a await

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
You and Slawdog routinely laugh off, or diminish, any positive comments about other QBs. It's really annoying and not a good look for you or your family. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I hope Jordan starts and plays really well. I'm excited to see what he can do day in and day out, and he deserves his chance.

That being said, no one said "heisman", no one said "team leader". This is you, once again, getting your feelings hurt that MJ isn't getting enough love on this board. If anyone needs to "calm down", its you.

If we have a good season, Jordan will get allll the love he can handle on this board. This is the offseason and generally time to get excited about younger players, backups, and the future of the program.

So my opinion (and you are assuming a lot of opinion) on an internet message board reflects poorly on my family...
LOL!! Get over yourself.

So I am limited on what I can say bc of who I am related too?
It's not that serious guy.... it's an internet message board.

I guess I will have to start lettting you know what is sarcasm since you obviously can't pick up on any.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck

Oh and feel free to use the ignore buuton ....

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Can we just petition to start the season now? Either that or we can all get together and let dudes fight it out 'til games start. I got a couple folks here I wanna see in the squared circle but I ain't callin' no names.

Offseasons are the pits.

On topic though, I'm just glad we have a talent "problem" at the QB position. We'll be fine whoever ends up getting the nod.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
So my opinion (and you are assuming a lot of opinion) on an internet message board reflects poorly on my family...
LOL!! Get over yourself.

So I am limited on what I can say bc of who I am related too?
It's not that serious guy.... it's an internet message board.

I guess I will have to start lettting you know what is sarcasm since you obviously can't pick up on any.

Looking back at your post history you have (in no order)

-Advocated for firing CPJ
-Advocated for firing CTR
-Claimed JT had peaked and should sit
-called our oline pathetic

It's not about having opinions and stating or not, its about being a known family member of a team and exercising some restraint when posting on a public forum. If you're wondering how to conduct yourself if your family member is on the team, please look to Will Bryan's dad or Kirvonte Benson's dad. That is all. Like I said, you'll really want to avoid this place if our offense isn't doing well next year.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
Looking back at your post history you have (in no order)

-Advocated for firing CPJ --- I was the only one...
-Advocated for firing CTR ---- I was the only one...
-Claimed JT had peaked and should sit --- never said that. but I did say he looked like he had given up... -- I was the only one
-called our oline pathetic ---- I was the only one ...

It's not about having opinions and stating or not, its about being a known family member of a team and exercising some restraint when posting on a public forum. If you're wondering how to conduct yourself if your family member is on the team, please look to Will Bryan's dad or Kirvonte Benson's dad. That is all. Like I said, you'll really want to avoid this place if our offense isn't doing well next year.

So I was the only one that said these things??
So again... I can not say anything b/c of my relation..... got it.

And where exactly did I "laugh out or criticize" Jay Jones?
By saying words were taken out of context?

I am not wondering but thanks for the attempt.
Avoid it? I 'll be right here big guy.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
That's what your mom said

<mandatory stingtalk post response>

I can't vouch for what my mother "said" as she passed away 20 years ago. I do know what she did: In 1962 at Grant Field she nearly came to blows with a drunk Alabama fan who persisted in spilling his drink on her. My father intervened and the drunk blurted out that he would fight my dad. The drunk was a college age boy while my dad was a World War II vet. My dad told him that he would rather not but that my cousin who had just got out of the marines would be happy to oblige. (my mother was holding my cousin back with all her might) The drunk stumbled away and I at 8 years of age was utterly fascinated by the spectacle. What was even better was watching Don Toner pick off that pass in the fourth quarter.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
As bwelbo says above, we have good depth at BB.

I think when that's the case our QB play is always better, no matter who it is in the position. Why was Nesbitt so effective? Partly because he was a second BB, of course, but mainly because he was in the same backfield as Dwyer. Why was JT so good in 2014? Because he had Days and Laskey back there to hand off to. I think that if Matthew doesn't fully recover (but Heaven forfend!) whoever takes over will do ok and improve as the season goes on. And that'll be largely because the opposition will be looking for Mills and Benson/Quaide all the time. And with good reason: I'm hoping Mills is in shape because I'm guessing Coach is going to run him until he drops in every game. QB play will suddenly look much better when that happens.

For all that, my watch word for the summer is: get well, Matthew! A combo of him and Mills will be very, very hard to stop.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
It is almost like we are back in a HS program, you know, when one guy is so much more athletic than the other kids that he HAS to be the QB (even if he isn't a natural QB) just to keep the ball in his hands enough.
Cam Newton? Tim Tebow? Good QBs, but better athletes.