CPJ on Jay Jones

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Imo the reason we had 2 of our best seasons under CPJ in 2014, and 2016 is because of JT. He just had that "it" factor, and so I think that's why so many of us are high on JJ. Now he might not have that "it" factor, but from the comments we have heard from CPJ and the spring game, it seems from the small sample size, that he does have that "it" factor. It takes a special athleticism to create some of the plays JT was able to produce, and when it's a close game that's what you need sometimes. It can literally be the difference from having a 6 or 7 win season to a 9 or 10 win season. Look at the games JT set us up to win, that without that athleticism we could have lost, UGA, GSU, DUKE. Now, I'm not saying with more of a bruiser QB we can't have great seasons with 9+ wins, that all depends on if they make the right reads and the supporting cast just like it does with a more atheletic guy, but I think a guy like JJ just excites us, because we see what can happen with a player like him.
I would not say anything bad about JT wish we had him 3 more years. But don't you think 2014 and 2016 had something to do with the OL and backs having more Experience than 2015.It is a team sport.

Last edited:

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I must admit that I'm still shocked when people equate w-l record with offensive performance as if D doesn't matter.
I don't know if this was meant for me, but that definitely wasn't the point of my comment. I agree D has a major role, or at least should.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I would not say anything bad about JT wish we had him 3 more years. But don't you think 2014 and 2016 had something to do with the OL and backs having more Experience than 2015.It is a team sport.
You completely missed my point, my point was that because of JT's atheletic ability he set us up to win close games when it game down to the end because of his athleticism. UGA game where he ran to the 40 and set up a long field goal for the tie. GSU where he escaped a guy blitzing and throw a TD pass. Duke where he escaped two guys in our own end zone and ran it to the 50 yard line. Those were all things he did to help us win those games, because of his athleticism. Without those we could have easily lost those games. Of course its a team sport, but that doesn't mean a guy can't put the team on his back and lead them to a victory. Also as stated by CPJ the OL wasn't that great in 2014 but we had an amazing group of skilled position guys. I'm trying to paint a picture of why so many of us like JJ, he's exciting to watch and can make plays to help win a game because of his atheletic abilities. I'm not talking about a game in full, but a game when it's close and you have to have that BIG play.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I don't know if this was meant for me, but that definitely wasn't the point of my comment. I agree D has a major role, or at least should.

Your point was how good JT was at QB. In support of that you cited records. However, our offense was much more efficient under TW 2011 (2012) than 2016.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
There was one play during the spring game where he took off and separated from people. My eyebrows went up and I thought "holy crap, did I just see that?" Speed is one of those things that can't be faked. JJ has a lot of speed. I have no idea what his times are and I don't care. On the football field, he separates from people. What he has is a combination of a lot of things, but I do believe, after a single viewing, one of those things is ++ speed. That is just me, TIFWIW.

Oh I completely agree. Dwyer was an excellent example. But two things:

1. He was playing against the 2's and 3's...that does has some effect on the separation, and

2. Even still he didn't look as fast as JT, which is all I was trying to say.

I'm actually as excited about him as anyone. Just a little perspective...

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
To clarify my point here, KQ took CPJs statement out of context imo. It seems to me CPJ was saying all are competing and bringing different stuff to the table.

What's out of context ? He said Jay Jones may be the fastest and quickest QB he's seen on the Flats. I'm shocked to hear that considering we just graduated a guy who was probably the quickest and fastest QB we've seen ever at Tech.

I didn't imply, nor did the quote, that he's the presumptive starter or anything like that but the fact that we have CPJ making that statement about a RS Freshman is pretty impressive.

Edited to add: its amazing how much "Slawdog" and "Rock" creep out of their holes when there is every any positive comment about any QB not named Mathew Jordan. In this case, I speak from experience as my brother was a D1 starting PG, but you really really should keep the fan forums to fans if you can't handle the slightest bit of criticism of your loved one. I know its hard, I really do, but its just not worth it. In the event that things get sideways during this year, you're really not going to like this board.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Oh I completely agree. Dwyer was an excellent example. But two things:

1. He was playing against the 2's and 3's...that does has some effect on the separation, and

2. Even still he didn't look as fast as JT, which is all I was trying to say.

I'm actually as excited about him as anyone. Just a little perspective...
From what I remember, JJ and TM played mostly against the 1's. LJ played mostly against the 2's.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
What's out of context ? He said Jay Jones may be the fastest and quickest QB he's seen on the Flats. I'm shocked to hear that considering we just graduated a guy who was probably the quickest and fastest QB we've seen ever at Tech.

I didn't imply, nor did the quote, that he's the presumptive starter or anything like that but the fact that we have CPJ making that statement about a RS Freshman is pretty impressive.

As I explained, it's outside the context of comments about all the QBs. It can be interpreted as you did, or it can be interpreted as especially highlighting just JJ as others seem to have done.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Your point was how good JT was at QB. In support of that you cited records. However, our offense was much more efficient under TW 2011 (2012) than 2016.
I just replied to someone else on what I was trying to get at, so I think you are misunderstanding what I'm trying to get at. My point was a guy like JT can win you games when you need a BIG play late and it's close. His athleticism allowed us to win the UGA and GSU game in 2014 and the Duke game in 2016. Do you think tevin could have got out of the blitz against GSU and throw that TD pass ? Or run to the 40 to set up a field goal for the tie against UGA? Or escape two guys up the middle in our own end zone and run to the 50 against Duke? His athleticism won us games that without it we could have easily lost. That's why I brought up JJ and why I think people are so high on him, because he has the ability to make the BIG plays with his athleticism when you need it. How good JT was, was not my point.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
As I explained, it's outside the context of comments about all the QBs. It can be interpreted as you did, or it can be interpreted as especially highlighting just JJ as others seem to have done.

You're hilarious, but not in a good way. Let's break it down for you:

PAUL JOHNSON: Well, I thought, as I said earlier, they all had good springs. TaQuon Marshall is a little bit bigger than Justin. I think he has some of the same attributes.
Oh wow he's bigger than justin and has attributes

he two redshirt freshmen, Lucas Johnson is about 6'4", 215 out of San Diego. I think he's a good dual-threat guy.
He's a good dual threat guy...and guess what AE?!??! HES FROM San Diego!!!

And Jay Jones may be the quickest, fastest guy we've ever had here at quarterback.
This was the point of the thread. We just graduated what many consider, by far, the most athletic fastest and quickest guy we've ever had at QB yet CPJ thinks we have one better.

and then Matthew Jordan is a little bigger, a little more physical, and he was the backup a year ago, so he was out there for the first couple weeks of spring, as well.
We've got someone bigger and more physical and was a backup.

I'll say it again, and I've said it before, MJ will start. I have no doubt about that...but that statement, that SPECIFIC STATEMENT about a SPECIFIC PLAYER is a fascinating, unique, and all together interesting comment given our history at Tech and our recent history with JT.

you would argue with someone who says that sky is blue. good god man, get a life.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'm going to be excited when CPJ says "Player X is the best QUARTERBACK to play for me."

Not the fastest guy. Not the quickest guy. Not the tallest guy. Not the guy who throws the prettiest ball. And on, and on, and on...

Personally, what has me excited about the QB group is how diverse in skillset they are. I think CPJ will have a role for them. As some have mentioned, Jay Jones has a special skillset that you have to put on the field. CPJ has been rolling with Lucas with the 1st team during skeleton sessions, and he's actually really good with the ball in his hands as well. MJ is the veteran who people underrate, but has some really nice tools in his bag as well...oh, and he led us to a big win on the road at VT last year. Taquan is good enough that CPJ has decided not to move back to AB and had him running the Ones even after MJ got hurt.

Here's the thing everyone misses: CPJ said he would be comfortable rolling with any of them as a starter. You know what I hear? Whoever ultimately ends up with the job is going to be a REALLY good QB because they will have beaten out 3 other quality QBs.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
You're hilarious, but not in a good way. Let's break it down for you:

PAUL JOHNSON: Well, I thought, as I said earlier, they all had good springs. TaQuon Marshall is a little bit bigger than Justin. I think he has some of the same attributes.
Oh wow he's bigger than justin and has attributes

he two redshirt freshmen, Lucas Johnson is about 6'4", 215 out of San Diego. I think he's a good dual-threat guy.
He's a good dual threat guy...and guess what AE?!??! HES FROM San Diego!!!

And Jay Jones may be the quickest, fastest guy we've ever had here at quarterback.
This was the point of the thread. We just graduated what many consider, by far, the most athletic fastest and quickest guy we've ever had at QB yet CPJ thinks we have one better.

and then Matthew Jordan is a little bigger, a little more physical, and he was the backup a year ago, so he was out there for the first couple weeks of spring, as well.
We've got someone bigger and more physical and was a backup.

I'll say it again, and I've said it before, MJ will start. I have no doubt about that...but that statement, that SPECIFIC STATEMENT about a SPECIFIC PLAYER is a fascinating, unique, and all together interesting comment given our history at Tech and our recent history with JT.

you would argue with someone who says that sky is blue. good god man, get a life.

Okay dude. You asked me a question. I answered it. I agreed that your take was legit. I said others were as well.

I appreciate that you think your response was mature.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I just replied to someone else on what I was trying to get at, so I think you are misunderstanding what I'm trying to get at. My point was a guy like JT can win you games when you need a BIG play late and it's close. His athleticism allowed us to win the UGA and GSU game in 2014 and the Duke game in 2016. Do you think tevin could have got out of the blitz against GSU and throw that TD pass ? Or run to the 40 to set up a field goal for the tie against UGA? Or escape two guys up the middle in our own end zone and run to the 50 against Duke? His athleticism won us games that without it we could have easily lost. That's why I brought up JJ and why I think people are so high on him, because he has the ability to make the BIG plays with his athleticism when you need it. How good JT was, was not my point.

No worries. I got you. I'm not going to get into a trade of anecdotal play selections. Your subjective impression of what's important and your choice of the plays you base it on are different than mine. I can't argue which is better. It's subjective.

I explained my response to a post which cited dufference in records. I was not responding to the subjective opinion but the data used in support of it.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
we have done nothing but wait and endured and hoped and yes, even doubted...our suffering has not quite been 40 years wandering in the desert but it has been well more than just a mere 40 days and nights in the same. I suppose this indeed may be the year whereas the drought has been lifted and we can return unto the promised land. Or perhaps we must wait as long as our friendly foes in upstate SC, or heaven forbid, continue to wander alone in the desert longer than the heathen tribe to the east (although it is our lot in life to pray for them if we read with just intention the Book). Whatever task is laid at my feet, I will gladly accept and continue to hope and yearn for things unseen. If I am asked to walk a mile, I will gladly walk two.

Mark my words: There will come a day when opposing fans and coaches alike will consider the words of the prophet Jeremiah in describing the exploits and speed of Lucas Johnson and/or Jay Jones. "Behold he shall come up like clouds, and his chariots like a whirlwind. His horses swifter than eagles... woe to us for we are plundered".

GTFLETCH

Banned
I really like our QB depth... Matt will be the starter, will be interesting to see who moves to AB next year when Clinton and JJ graduate.