CPJ on ESPN Film Room

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
I just saw Saban SCREAM at his player--he has 4? Nat Cs--PJ did that but he has NONE--you can't get away with that (nor be snarky)when your recruiting is in the 50s and your P5 record is near 50%..
Recruiting and winning % have absolutely nothing to do with a coach yelling at players after a mistake. That is normal.

What would your response be if a coach is losing and was never seen yelling at a player for mistakes?

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
Recruiting and winning % have absolutely nothing to do with a coach yelling at players after a mistake. That is normal.

What would your response be if a coach is losing and was never seen yelling at a player for mistakes?

No, but the point is if CPJ says it then it's, "who wants to play for that jerk?"

But if Saban says it then it's "Oh, now THAT'S what a coach is supposed to do!"

Deleted member 2897

Love this format. Me and the wife were entertained and enjoyed not having all the breaks from the live feed. Great idea, I hope they don’t screw it up somehow like espn is famous for.

Well they already did screw it up. The guy who was football coach when fake classes began at UNC was just re-hired to coach there again. It was their first chance since the NCAA and ACC decided to not do anything, so they brought Mack Brown back. And of all the coaches in the country, ESPN included him in their booth.

I wasn't trying to say that he can't speak in public or that he is a bad speaker. I was just saying that he isn't a polished public speaker. He has had as much good information as any of the guys during the game tonight. However, Brown is the most polished speaker. I don't see CPJ giving motivational speeches along the lines of DMo. He is very smart. He has great knowledge of football. I would love to watch a game with him and be able to hear his opinion and ask questions. However, I haven't seen him speak publicly as a take charge of the conversation and hold the audiences attention type speaker.
Bear Bryant wasn't a polished speaker either. Did it matter?

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Bear Bryant wasn't a polished speaker either. Did it matter?

Please take my comments in context of what I was responding to originally. It was said that CPJ IS a grumpy, ornery old man and that the Atlanta radio personalities did not create that image. My response was that he isn't a polished speaker, but he isn't a grumpy, ornery old man. The Atlanta radio personalities DID in fact create that image.

Please take my comments in context of what I was responding to originally. It was said that CPJ IS a grumpy, ornery old man and that the Atlanta radio personalities did not create that image. My response was that he isn't a polished speaker, but he isn't a grumpy, ornery old man. The Atlanta radio personalities DID in fact create that image.

Totally agree with you. The UGA bent press in Atlanta did not like CPJ because he wasn't acting like the good little brother coach he should. He actually started beating big brother.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
Well they already did screw it up. The guy who was football coach when fake classes began at UNC was just re-hired to coach there again. It was their first chance since the NCAA and ACC decided to not do anything, so they brought Mack Brown back. And of all the coaches in the country, ESPN included him in their booth.

It probably helped that he was available and a known name. Kinda like CPJ. I thought Brown was pretty entertaining.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Mack Brown was the acting as "host" of the show since he's the only one that has experience with working with ESPN and their studio format that's why it seemed he was talking too much. He was trying to get the discussion going. You notice the coaches pretty much sat there and watched the game unless they were asked something?

CPJ made some insightful quips, and had a few moments diagnosing the play and the strategy, but I thought he was more interested in watching the game than being there. Not his fault, he just doesn't do this type of stuff regularly. Clawson and Norvell were a bit more vocal. I really like Norvell after that show, BTW.

CPJ did point out on a play that it was another version of the triple option...to which I wanted to shake the TV...

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer

Well, if you’re Alagold, you probably complain about CPJ not yelling at the player saying a coach with CPJs record should scream at players all the time.

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
I liked listening to them breaking down the tape. I think the first group could've benefited from a D-focused coach. Clawson brought some interesting insight from having played both teams on the individual players who may not show in the stat sheet. Norvell helped with a pretty strong understanding of the Clemson offense. And CPJ was CPJ. I kept waiting for him to say "Pull up the backside camera!"

While I enjoyed CPJ, he probably would go too in-depth for an ESPN-level color guy.

The 2nd group was pretty good. Addazio is pretty entertaining and Patterson is probably one of the best defensive minds in the game. Edwards seems to use a lot of words to not say much. Harsin knew the offensive side, but wasn't as vocal about it.

It was also nice having the commercial breaks for them to break down some key plays. Lots of football smarts in the room. I'll say, I think Mack has lost a step on the Xs and Os side.....probably will be a decent CEO type though.