CPJ on ESPN Film Room

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
Good stuff, love the comment about CPL being ACC video official next year, CPJ said he was to young!

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
He is not a accomplished public speaker. However, he isn't the grumpy "get off my lawn" type that the Atlanta media did in fact create the image of.

I've heard him speak and he's been pretty good. He's got a bunch of good stories and he is a good storyteller.
I was lucky to spend a lot of time with him when he was in Statesboro and he really is a good dude.
The TV and print guys from the Savannah area who covered PJ at Southern enjoyed dealing with him. Now, PJ might poke you a little bit but sometimes that was to see where your sense of humor was. PJ loves - and I mean loves - dealing with people who have a sense of humor. If you can take one of his jokes and dish back a little, he's a happy camper. Case in point - PJ's first year at Southern, they go up to App, get the crap beat of them. PJ complained all week how bad practice had been and his point of view is you play like you practice. So he's getting interviewed after the game. Reporter goes, and this the first thing said to PJ after the game: "Well, you said it all week. You practice like (bleep), you're gonna play (bleep). And they played like (bleep) today." PJ actually started chuckling and went, "yeah."
If you look closely at his relationship with the Atlanta press, he only had a real problem with the sports talk radio guys - starting with that first Chernoff interview ("let me explain it to you slowly") and with Steak. Those guys, by and large, are hacks. They were negative from the start and stayed that way. And then there's Bark Madly. Also a hack. Also mostly negative from the get go.
It was obvious Kelly Quinlan had a great relationship with PJ. PJ even granted all kinds of access and time to Suguira and that's even after he got on Suguira for going around him to get injury info. Schultz could be tough on PJ but he also respects the hell out of him and likes him because he took the time to talk to him. Bradley, I don't think, did that.
Like PJ said, when did he ever refuse an interview to the media in Atlanta?

yellajacket20

Georgia Tech Fan
CPJ is hilarious. The other coaches are trying not to audibly laugh at his quips.

On another note, how in the world do you complete passes on Clemson's D when their line rushes briefly enough to occupy the blocker and then drop all but 1??

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I've heard him speak and he's been pretty good. He's got a bunch of good stories and he is a good storyteller.
I was lucky to spend a lot of time with him when he was in Statesboro and he really is a good dude.
The TV and print guys from the Savannah area who covered PJ at Southern enjoyed dealing with him. Now, PJ might poke you a little bit but sometimes that was to see where your sense of humor was. PJ loves - and I mean loves - dealing with people who have a sense of humor. If you can take one of his jokes and dish back a little, he's a happy camper. Case in point - PJ's first year at Southern, they go up to App, get the crap beat of them. PJ complained all week how bad practice had been and his point of view is you play like you practice. So he's getting interviewed after the game. Reporter goes, and this the first thing said to PJ after the game: "Well, you said it all week. You practice like (bleep), you're gonna play (bleep). And they played like (bleep) today." PJ actually started chuckling and went, "yeah."
If you look closely at his relationship with the Atlanta press, he only had a real problem with the sports talk radio guys - starting with that first Chernoff interview ("let me explain it to you slowly") and with Steak. Those guys, by and large, are hacks. They were negative from the start and stayed that way. And then there's Bark Madly. Also a hack. Also mostly negative from the get go.
It was obvious Kelly Quinlan had a great relationship with PJ. PJ even granted all kinds of access and time to Suguira and that's even after he got on Suguira for going around him to get injury info. Schultz could be tough on PJ but he also respects the hell out of him and likes him because he took the time to talk to him. Bradley, I don't think, did that.
Like PJ said, when did he ever refuse an interview to the media in Atlanta?

I wasn't trying to say that he can't speak in public or that he is a bad speaker. I was just saying that he isn't a polished public speaker. He has had as much good information as any of the guys during the game tonight. However, Brown is the most polished speaker. I don't see CPJ giving motivational speeches along the lines of DMo. He is very smart. He has great knowledge of football. I would love to watch a game with him and be able to hear his opinion and ask questions. However, I haven't seen him speak publicly as a take charge of the conversation and hold the audiences attention type speaker.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Paul broke down one of clemsons tunnel screen rpo plays in 15 seconds right down to the responsibilities of the backside tackle on the rpo portion.

If he comes back I hope we xont have to play him. Collins was pretty uninspired with his oc hire if rumors are true

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
I missed this earlier. Watching now. Gonna swap out the Bamer-Sooners game to the little TV, this one to the big TV...
(you can watch it on WatchEspn if anyone's looking for it)