CPJ on ESPN Film Room

Deleted member 2897

So UNC runs fake classes for decades. The NCAA and the ACC hardly slap them on the wrist. In fact, UNC pushes back unabashedly and unashamedly. Once the dust settles from the scandal, UNC rehires the football coach from that time and now ESPN brings him on for color commentary during the College Football Playoff games. Nobody out there has any shame anymore. Hell, LIBERTY - the Christian University - hires the old Baylor Athletic Director Ian McCaw and the old Ole Miss football coach Hugh Freeze. The world has gone bat **** crazy.

Deleted member 2897

I'd watch a show featuring Spurrier and CPJ just breaking down games and making sarcastic remarks. I think they'd feed off one another.

Man if they did this similar to Mystery Science Theater 3000, it would be pure Gold.

giphy.gif

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I’d love to see CPJ in the national media. Great way to destroy the narrative the Atlanta media created about his personality, while at the same time getting a gig all those “B-level” radio personalities would kill to get.
When are we finally gonna get it? The media created nothing. That is his personality. Was at Navy and anybody going over to a couple of Navy sites when he was hired would have been forewarned it would take some adjustment but mostly those on the other end enjoyed the exchanges. Johnson is Johnson. Or it is what ...

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
See, right here you get the essential Paul Johnson, just like in an album cover. He needs to call slippants on his grammar, but he is not even shy about jabbing one of his own. And he is right, though. I know I am going to watch this and see if he can slyly slip in there his record against Dabo and hope nobody brings up the recent results. He and Swinney were at one time considered to be at least decent friends, and neither of them has all that many in the ACC.

“No deference to Roddy, but I’d rather be the next Kirk Herbstreit,” he said. “He’s probably doing a little better than Roddy.”

UpperNorth

Jolly Good Fellow
As a friend, and ardent supporter of Ga Southern, told me one time; Paul Johnson’s idea of PR was kicking your tail on Saturday.

CPJ deserved some of what he got from the media as a coach. One problem I had from all of the UGA Paul Johnson haters was that a lot of those same people loved Trump for ‘telling it like it is’ but couldn’t stand CPJ for ‘telling it like it is.’ I would love for him to become a well-liked ESPN personality, there’s a good side to CPJ that a lot of people never saw, or chose not to see.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
As a friend, and ardent supporter of Ga Southern, told me one time; Paul Johnson’s idea of PR was kicking your tail on Saturday.

CPJ deserved some of what he got from the media as a coach. One problem I had from all of the UGA Paul Johnson haters was that a lot of those same people loved Trump for ‘telling it like it is’ but couldn’t stand CPJ for ‘telling it like it is.’ I would love for him to become a well-liked ESPN personality, there’s a good side to CPJ that a lot of people never saw, or chose not to see.
It's awesome when you're winning but annoying when you're not.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I’d love to see CPJ in the national media. Great way to destroy the narrative the Atlanta media created about his personality, while at the same time getting a gig all those “B-level” radio personalities would kill to get.

He should have done it at every opportunity presented. GREAT way to put GT out there and dispel narratives against him.

Water under the bridge now, I guess...

EDIT:

BTW, I'm actually looking forward to this. CPJ is gonna be GOOD at this stuff if he wants to pursue it.

JackD

Georgia Tech Fan
Awesome. Hope he becomes a regular somear there. Would be hilarious after he was at odds with the media for 11 years .

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
When are we finally gonna get it? The media created nothing. That is his personality. Was at Navy and anybody going over to a couple of Navy sites when he was hired would have been forewarned it would take some adjustment but mostly those on the other end enjoyed the exchanges. Johnson is Johnson. Or it is what ...

He has done fine when on radio outside of Atlanta. He has done fine when interviewed on ESPN. When people ask questions about football, he does fine. He didn't do well on radio in Atlanta, which is what people refer to. The radio guys in Atlanta asked questions with the intention of making him sound grumpy so they could then talk about how grumpy he is for the next thirty minutes. After games or practices that didn't go well, he sounded miffed during the post game interviews. Until recently those entire interviews were not available to the public. You would have read or seen answers to a couple of questions, but not the entire sequence.

He is not a accomplished public speaker. However, he isn't the grumpy "get off my lawn" type that the Atlanta media did in fact create the image of.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
FWIW, the same can be said for the rah-rah, hype man schtick.

Brian Billick once remarked "What they hire you for is what they fire you for."

"CCG made his name in the NFL as an offensive genius, being the first to employ a guy like Kordell Stewart to maximum effect."
"CCG couldn't develop a QB to save his life."

"CPJ is a no-nonsense, straight-shooter who won't pull punches when he disagrees with you."
"CPJ is a grumpy, old-school caveman who is so out of touch he thinks tweeting is something birds do in the morning."

"CGC is a high-energy, pure ball of unbridled positivity that infects every room he enters."
"CGC is a hyperactive, unfocused maniac who yells and screams at everything."

It is an unfortunate reality in the media.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Brian Billick once remarked "What they hire you for is what they fire you for."

"CCG made his name in the NFL as an offensive genius, being the first to employ a guy like Kordell Stewart to maximum effect."
"CCG couldn't develop a QB to save his life."

"CPJ is a no-nonsense, straight-shooter who won't pull punches when he disagrees with you."
"CPJ is a grumpy, old-school caveman who is so out of touch he thinks tweeting is something birds do in the morning."

"CGC is a high-energy, pure ball of unbridled positivity that infects every room he enters."
"CGC is a hyperactive, unfocused maniac who yells and screams at everything."

It is an unfortunate reality in the media.

Correction on CPJ:

"His system will have GT competing with lesser talent..."
"HIs system can't attract the kids GT needs to beat teams with better talent..."