CPJ interview - Nov 11

Haha, you're a trip. I get it you love Paul, the option and think that is the only way we can compete. I think you and those like you are wrong. Did you catch the dwag game last year? Year before that? Can you not see the programs were going in two different directions?

I will give you something, we did look like "small children" out there against them. We did the year before too. Remember the Searcy meme floating around? We look like "small children" mostly thanks to your hero and his recruiting (or lack there of). The latter is the reason I and most think we are headed in the right direction. To compete with grown men, we need to recruit grown men and not "small children" as you called them. The guy we currently have has a history of being a great recruiter, brought in assistants that are great recruiters, and is well on his way to bringing in a class that is significantly better than any your hero ever did.

So you can continue making jokes about a massacre and settle for 7.5 wins/year trending in the wrong direction. I'd like to shoot for better. I also wholeheartedly believe if Paul stayed another 2-3 years, that 7.5 average would've dropped seeing how he was below .500 the last 4 years. I guess that's good enough for you though because we were in the top 10 in rushing yards every year. And that's all that matters amirite?

LOL and as I have pointed out in several threads, I keep reading that we want better than a 7 win average year.......and we haven't had a coach do that since Dodd. Our last three coaches were 7-5. Ross was not even that. What CPJ did was take us to higher highs. If we can repeat that.....I am ok with it.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Did you catch the uga game in 2016?

I did. I was awesome! Any time we beat the dwags is great! I don't want to downplay a win, but there are some facts that played into us winning that game. We beat a 7-4 dwag team with a true freshman QB who lost his job to a true freshman the following year. Same true freshman threw an int with like 3 mins left up 6 on 2nd down. It was also Kirby Smart's first year. We had the best QB in PJ's tenure. We won the game on one of the most iconic moments of PJ's tenure too with Searcy going Superman into the endzone!

If you can't notice the direction of each program since that game, I can't help you. I love beating the leghumpers, but it wasn't happening again with CPJ going up again Kirby.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
LOL and as I have pointed out in several threads, I keep reading that we want better than a 7 win average year.......and we haven't had a coach do that since Dodd. Our last three coaches were 7-5. Ross was not even that. What CPJ did was take us to higher highs. If we can repeat that.....I am ok with it.

And just because I was bored and did the math, GT will have to average 9 wins per year for the next 5 years in order to get to that mark because of how poor this season was...

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
And just because I was bored and did the math, GT will have to average 9 wins per year for the next 5 years in order to get to that mark because of how poor this season was...
I don’t understand why people are so obsessed with averages. CPJ had great seasons, he had poor seasons, and he had average seasons. Gailey and O’Leary both had mainly average seasons. Bobby Dodd had great, poor, and average seasons. If GCG really does win 9+ for the next 5 seasons, will people try to say he’s not as good as CPJ because his average is worse?

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I did. I was awesome! Any time we beat the dwags is great! I don't want to downplay a win, but there are some facts that played into us winning that game. We beat a 7-4 dwag team with a true freshman QB who lost his job to a true freshman the following year. Same true freshman threw an int with like 3 mins left up 6 on 2nd down. It was also Kirby Smart's first year. We had the best QB in PJ's tenure. We won the game on one of the most iconic moments of PJ's tenure too with Searcy going Superman into the endzone!

If you can't notice the direction of each program since that game, I can't help you. I love beating the leghumpers, but it wasn't happening again with CPJ going up again Kirby.

I am not sure that's true, CPJ finally was starting to get the resources to compete. The new uniform deal, the acc network. The QB we were suppose to replace Thomas with never played a down again. Another one got injured and had to switch to defense. Jordan would have been the guy but he had a lisfranc injury. Johnson might have been the guy. But he got injured. I am not saying that he'd have won this year. But never again? CPJ with a Senior TO, senior JP mason, Senior Jerry Howard mostly juniors and senior oline and Camp and Sanders /Carter on the outside plus a kid that looks a lot like Jet in Yates, or even Knight might still be a QB. If woody's defense even has a moderate increase this year was probably an 8-9 win year with losses to clemson uga and probably pitt or duke (not sure on duke this year with CPJ they definitely wouldn't have had easy posessions running flex at us)

Kirby was also having to resort to even spying on our practices.

I honestly don't see us beating georgia trying to do what they do with lesser talent. Which is basically what we are going to be doing.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I am not sure that's true, CPJ finally was starting to get the resources to compete. The new uniform deal, the acc network. The QB we were suppose to replace Thomas with never played a down again. Another one got injured and had to switch to defense. Jordan would have been the guy but he had a lisfranc injury. Johnson might have been the guy. But he got injured. I am not saying that he'd have won this year. But never again? CPJ with a Senior TO, senior JP mason, Senior Jerry Howard mostly juniors and senior oline and Camp and Sanders /Carter on the outside plus a kid that looks a lot like Jet in Yates, or even Knight might still be a QB. If woody's defense even has a moderate increase this year was probably an 8-9 win year with losses to clemson uga and probably pitt or duke (not sure on duke this year with CPJ they definitely wouldn't have had easy posessions running flex at us)

Kirby was also having to resort to even spying on our practices.

I honestly don't see us beating georgia trying to do what they do with lesser talent. Which is basically what we are going to be doing.
Anyone that can claim this year would’ve been an 8-9 win season is pretty thick skulled. This team had a 7 win cap, and that would’ve been impressive. CPJ probably would’ve won 4-5, maybe 6. But it would’ve just continued to be monotonous, and you’ve already seen former players post on here about how they believed CPJ had run its course. Sometimes the best thing a program can do is change its culture. CPJ was not the long term answer. Even if CGC fails it will still have been a good move to hire a “salesman”, even if it’s decided it’s best to go back to the TO and stay that way.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Haha, you're a trip. I get it you love Paul, the option and think that is the only way we can compete. I think you and those like you are wrong. Did you catch the dwag game last year? Year before that? Can you not see the programs were going in two different directions?

I will give you something, we did look like "small children" out there against them. We did the year before too. Remember the Searcy meme floating around? We look like "small children" mostly thanks to your hero and his recruiting (or lack there of). The latter is the reason I and most think we are headed in the right direction. To compete with grown men, we need to recruit grown men and not "small children" as you called them. The guy we currently have has a history of being a great recruiter, brought in assistants that are great recruiters, and is well on his way to bringing in a class that is significantly better than any your hero ever did.

So you can continue making jokes about a massacre and settle for 7.5 wins/year trending in the wrong direction. I'd like to shoot for better. I also wholeheartedly believe if Paul stayed another 2-3 years, that 7.5 average would've dropped seeing how he was below .500 the last 4 years. I guess that's good enough for you though because we were in the top 10 in rushing yards every year. And that's all that matters amirite?
I'm sorry, but what history of great recruiting? Shoot, he didn't stay in a job long enough to turn the motor off. His HC job at Temple didn't result in it, though he brashly claimed all the credit after losing to them, which has to mark a serious first in lack of awareness. I hope he can, but there was nothing in the first season to show "right direction."

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Now, now. He's all worked up and wasn't seeing straight in the first place. Let's not confuse him with facts at this point.

I’m seeing very straight. You’re the one struggling with triple option vision.

Want to talk facts?

1. Paul was 24-25 in the last 4 years
2. Paul was 10-12 against the coastal the last 4 years. Teams we play every year (throw in Clemson and dwags and this gets worse).
3. Paul had two losing seasons in the past 4 years (in his years 8-11).
4. Collins will have a better recruiting class in year 1 than Paul had his whole time at GT.
5. You don’t really want facts, you just want to throw accusations that make you sound smart/tough while ignoring the fact that we have been spiraling downwards as a program while racking up big rushing yards against teams that haven’t faced us or FCS teams that make people like you feel good because we were ranked in the top 10 in something.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
You mean the year UGA hires a new coach who had never seen the option before? The year they went 7-5 in the regular season? GT beat UGA 3 times under CPJ. ‘08 was CPJ’s first season, and the first time UGA had seen the option. ‘14 UGA hired a new DC, and ‘16 when UGA hired a new head coach. I’ve stated before that CPJ’s Tech teams dominated opponents in who hadn’t seen the option before, that’s why he killed the Atlantic crossover opponent, and why yearly opponents caught up to it.

That's BS.

Kirby had to coach against it at bama when they played southern. He gave up a ton of yards. He had to teach the concepts to counter an auburn team he faced every single season. The players on his team were well practiced in defending it and schematically they were running the same defense and lined up the same way. We won in 2014 because our offensive line reset the line of scrimmage every single play.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Anyone that can claim this year would’ve been an 8-9 win season is pretty thick skulled. This team had a 7 win cap, and that would’ve been impressive. CPJ probably would’ve won 4-5, maybe 6. But it would’ve just continued to be monotonous, and you’ve already seen former players post on here about how they believed CPJ had run its course. Sometimes the best thing a program can do is change its culture. CPJ was not the long term answer. Even if CGC fails it will still have been a good move to hire a “salesman”, even if it’s decided it’s best to go back to the TO and stay that way.

With how week the rest of the costal turned out to be I don't know how you can say that still.

Even with just having an identity we win a few games this year.

Citadel... win
Temple probably a win depends on if Collins has them actually practice against the offense or not.
UNC win
VT no idea CPJ owned foster at the the end. We probably win this one on the back of QB runs like we've done everytime we beat foster.

Assuming we win the same games we won this year that puts us at 7 already. Win one out of UVA duke and pitt you are at 8, with a shot at 9 in a bowl game. I mean Pitt and UVA were winable games. So was citadel this year, we weren't that far off of 6 with no offense.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
That's BS.

Kirby had to coach against it at bama when they played southern. He gave up a ton of yards. He had to teach the concepts to counter an auburn team he faced every single season. The players on his team were well practiced in defending it and schematically they were running the same defense and lined up the same way. We won in 2014 because our offensive line reset the line of scrimmage every single play.
Every team has option concepts, but hardly any teams run the option out of the flex bone. It’s a lot different to prepare for concepts out of different formations. Having players that have seen the scheme before doesn’t matter if there’s a coaching change that changes the strategy of the defense. Preparing for Georgia Southern would be a lot different than preparing for Georgia Tech (hopefully). You can argue the facts all you want, but CPJ’s scheme was more successful against teams and coaches that hadn’t seen it before, which is what was happening in those 3 wins vs. UGA.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Every team has option concepts, but hardly any teams run the option out of the flex bone. It’s a lot different to prepare for concepts out of different formations. Having players that have seen the scheme before doesn’t matter if there’s a coaching change that changes the strategy of the defense. Preparing for Georgia Southern would be a lot different than preparing for Georgia Tech (hopefully). You can argue the facts all you want, but CPJ’s scheme was more successful against teams and coaches that hadn’t seen it before, which is what was happening in those 3 wins vs. UGA.

Preparing for Southern at that time really wasn't easier than preparing for tech. They had Jerick Mckinnon and swope with Jaybo Shaw running it who probably would have started for us had he not transfered to give Monken a QB and get immediate playing time. And they went to the FCS championship that year, losing to NDstate.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
With how week the rest of the costal turned out to be I don't know how you can say that still.

Even with just having an identity we win a few games this year.

Citadel... win
Temple probably a win depends on if Collins has them actually practice against the offense or not.
UNC win
VT no idea CPJ owned foster at the the end. We probably win this one on the back of QB runs like we've done everytime we beat foster.

Assuming we win the same games we won this year that puts us at 7 already. Win one out of UVA duke and pitt you are at 8, with a shot at 9 in a bowl game. I mean Pitt and UVA were winable games. So was citadel this year, we weren't that far off of 6 with no offense.

In what world, is Temple and UNC a guaranteed win?

Howell type QBs have absolutely shredded CPJ defenses (Trubisky & Williams are not better than Howell)

@CuseJacket has hammered this point numerous times, there is no advanced metric that shows we would be favored vs them.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer

Howell type QBs have absolutely shredded CPJ defenses (Trubisky & Williams are not better than Howell)

@CuseJacket has hammered this point numerous times, there is no advanced metric that shows we would be favored vs them.

Was using the new coach facing option logic here. I don't think its a guarantee win at all but I think that gives us the edge. Even though Brown should know about it.

As for Temple. We didn't even have an alley player on half the plays vs citadel. That was a scheme problem.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Franco is still dead. Collins is here, it is his ship, and Johnson is doing things like consulting with Harbaugh and the Baltimore Ravens on option football, seeing as how they have this really slick option QB, and pro football is finding out Johnson was right that the option can work at any level.

But we have Collins, for better or worse, and he in turn has a seven-year deal that if nothing else proves he can negotiate better than the Tech AD and we will find out eventually if he can coach. But 3-9 and 52-7 to those jackals from Athens is kind of discouraging. But anecdotes and comparisons, good and bad, from the past just don't accomplish anything. So. On to recruiting and signing day.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck

Except the metric that shows for the last ten years we, for the most part, won more games than we were slated to win -- meaning whether or not we would be favored is pretty much irrelevant.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
… that make people like you feel good because we were ranked in the top 10 in something.
I had to cut off that last sentence. They did teach you about run-on sentences in high school, didn't they?

But, yes, I'd love to be ranked in the top 10 in something. Oh, wait. Harvin had 80 punts this year! That leads the nation! The new era of Tech football has arrived!

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
I had to cut off that last sentence. They did teach you about run-on sentences in high school, didn't they?

But, yes, I'd love to be ranked in the top 10 in something. Oh, wait. Harvin had 80 punts this year! That leads the nation! The new era of Tech football has arrived!

See, no interest in facts whatsoever. Thanks for proving my point.