CPJ discusses QBs

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
On Byerly:
Paul Johnson said:
He's got toughness. ... He's a good runner. He's got good speed. I don't know if he's blazing, but he's got good speed.

On Justin Thomas
Paul Johnson said:
He's quick, fast and does have blazing speed ... He's probably got as quick a release as anybody [we've] had at Georgia Tech throwing the ball. Strong arm. He's not as tall, so we have to find ways that he can [find receivers.]

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/06...ke-center-stage-at-georgia.html#storylink=cpy

Interesting comments at the end of this video about both qb's, thinking the offense will be as good or better than last year.

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
When I saw Steele's preseason all-ACC QBs, all I thought was 'we are not far behind and maybe among the best in ACC'. Here they are:

1st team: Winston
2nd team: Williams (UNC)
3rd team: Boone (Duke)
4th team: Gardner (Louisville)

ramblinvak

Ramblin' Wreck
Though our offense put up points last year I don't think it was effective by any means. There were too many stalled drives that put too much pressure on the defense. The first half of the Clemson game last season is a perfect example.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
This is the first time I've heard a coach mention a something that just jumped off the screen to me about JT, the quickness of his delivery. He can get the ball out of his hands and down the field fast for anybody, not just GT. I think that if we make big strides in our O this year, it won't be just because of our running game. It seems to me that while we've been able to beat secondaries who over commit to stop the run, we don't really burn them as much as we should because our passes have given them too much time to recover. I'm excited about this possibility.

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
This is the first time I've heard a coach mention a something that just jumped off the screen to me about JT, the quickness of his delivery. He can get the ball out of his hands and down the field fast for anybody, not just GT. I think that if we make big strides in our O this year, it won't be just because of our running game. It seems to me that while we've been able to beat secondaries who over commit to stop the run, we don't really burn them as much as we should because our passes have given them too much time to recover. I'm excited about this possibility.
What excites me the most is how good JT will be in year 2..he's always had the ability to be great in this offense I feel like...he just needs the mental reps so it can just come to him naturally without thinking about it.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I think you are going to see more pistol this year than most expect. It fits JT better than Vad IMO. With his speed I think you could run the double option out of it as a counter to the D jumping the B gaps. It would also allow him to roll out and pass better. If JT rolls out the D will have to respect his legs even in passing situations.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Though our offense put up points last year I don't think it was effective by any means. There were too many stalled drives that put too much pressure on the defense. The first half of the Clemson game last season is a perfect example.

This is true, to some extent. Our O was definitely down by the standards of previous years. But it still has to be put into some context. Clemson had a very good defense last year. Only U[sic]Ga, 35, FSU, 51, and Ohio State, 35, scored more on CU than the 31 that we put up, matching the 31 put up by SCar. Even when we were scoring in the second half, CU scored TDs in 4 straight possessions.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
I think you are going to see more pistol this year than most expect. It fits JT better than Vad IMO. With his speed I think you could run the double option out of it as a counter to the D jumping the B gaps. It would also allow him to roll out and pass better. If JT rolls out the D will have to respect his legs even in passing situations.

I disagree. I think you'll see far less pistol. Justin's height and quickness makes him a ghost back there when he is close to the line. Also, pj and co made it pretty clear that they are going back to basics.

ramblinvak

Ramblin' Wreck
This is true, to some extent. Our O was definitely down by the standards of previous years. But it still has to be put into some context. Clemson had a very good defense last year. Only U[sic]Ga, 35, FSU, 51, and Ohio State, 35, scored more on CU than the 31 that we put up, matching the 31 put up by SCar. Even when we were scoring in the second half, CU scored TDs in 4 straight possessions.

Thats a good point and I hadnt thought of it like that. I guess for me its off the "eye-test" method and that game along with VT, BYU, and Ole Miss were especially frustrating because it either took a while to get the offense going or just never did, and that goes back to our offense performing more inefficiently compared to other years. I do think our defense last year would have performed better had our offense not stalled as much as it appeared to have. JMHO

Yoda

Helluva Engineer
The trigger man will be scary. We just need the other pieces to step up. We have better talent at every position than Navy and they seem to move the ball well against everyone they play.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
If we block well enough in the interior and perimeter we'll have a fine year on O. If we dont then it would take amazing individual talent like a Dwyer & a Bebe Thomas to have a great year...talent we dont appear to have.

QBs look terrible when theres little blocking no matter how good they are.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
having a QB who is willing to run is a big deal. Last year was hard to watch the offense with a QB that just didn't appear to go all out on some of his runs. This year I'm excited to see what JT and TB bring to the offense.

You said it.
I just went back and watched a bit of the bowl game (I missed it live because I was on a airplane at the time). So many times #2 kept the ball, ran 2 yards and turtled when there was at least 5 yards ahead of him if he just kept going. Make a move and maybe he breaks one or two for a big gain. It was incredibly frustrating, and reminded me of how many times I was yelling " just run dammit!" during the regular season.

thwgjacket

"It's refreshing, they (JT and TB) both engage in and want to do what we're doing"-Paul Johnson. Says everything you need to know and sheds a lot of light on the Vad Lee era.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
It's funny how people speak so negatively about the offense under Vad as if it was a juggernaut under Tevin. Vad had his flaws that's for sure but he did have positives and I wish he would have stayed, bought in, and developed.
Needless to say I'm not overly hyped about JT not because I think he is not skilled but because I didn't see much of him last year to get hyped about. I don't think we'll regress any and we maybe even better at running. Which doesn't say much to me, our second lowest rushing per yard year was when GT won the ACC.