CPJ AJC Article

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
Yes.This is why I wanted Paul to retire in his seventies at Tech. He's still a comparatively young man. We would have had many more years of consistently inning football if he had. And, of course, had the resources we gave TFFG. And the fan support. But those who tan him down have had, I think, their comeuppance.

Personally, I'd cheer a Bill Synder from Paul to the rooftops, but I think he may be enjoying retirement too much. I do wish he would do some game commentary, however. He's always a hoot when he does that.

This is a bad take. We were in decline from the CPJ glory years.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
This is a bad take. We were in decline from the CPJ glory years.
Really? As Paul pointed out, we led the nation in rushing in 2018. And we had the core of that team coming back. Either Tobias or Graham (him, I think) at QB, the Two-Headed Monster at BB, Cottrell and (probably) Christian Malloy at AB, and the kind of senior/junior OL Paul liked. The D would have been ok, as usual. That lineup gets us 7 or 8 wins right off the bat; maybe more. And most everybody at the skill positions was a junior.

I think a lot of people are being deceived about the influence of rule changes on spread option football, largely because Navy and Army are having so-so years. Both squads are quite young, however, especially Army. In the meantime, Air Force is leading the country in rushing (336 mpg) and is 8 - 3. All these teams play weaker schedules, of course, but they also have recruiting limits Tech doesn't. Personally, I don't see decline in Paul's last years. I see bad luck with injuries (2015 and the JT successors at QB) and really stupid school policies (losing Mills).

But opinions differ.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Some folks won’t like this take, but here it is….CPJ left GT in the best financial state since Dodd. He left a winning program, and did nothing to take away from GT. The fact that GT went all on on Goof Collins is all on GT and not CPJ. The fact that CPJ has thoughts on who to hire at GT is the same as Nikola Tesla saying I know a good EE professor in my book. Go ask the man with the answers and thank him.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
My take on this article...it was in poor taste for Ken to put forth such a peice of rubbish. It was aalso an error in judgement for CPJ to participate (assuming these quotese were authentic). Neither one did themselves any favor with this piece of National Enquirer or People magazine journalism.

MikeGT

Jolly Good Fellow
My take on this article...it was in poor taste for Ken to put forth such a peice of rubbish. It was aalso an error in judgement for CPJ to participate (assuming these quotese were authentic). Neither one did themselves any favor with this piece of National Enquirer or People magazine journalism.
I’ll just say that I disagree with this take and the comments and quotes were pretty reserved and nothing at all like sensationalism. Asking CPJ to give some thoughts is not the same as provoking a response.
I tried to support Collins like any GT coach but there were so many times he just gave off the salesman/ BS vibe.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I’ll just say that I disagree with this take and the comments and quotes were pretty reserved and nothing at all like sensationalism. Asking CPJ to give some thoughts is not the same as provoking a response.
I tried to support Collins like any GT coach but there were so many times he just gave off the salesman/ BS vibe.
Your last comment is true. I just thought it was very sad for Coach Johnson to be involved in any article as if he felt the need to defend himself. we all saw what was what. It's the old "never argue with idiots" axiom. Just my take on it.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
Your last comment is true. I just thought it was very sad for Coach Johnson to be involved in any article as if he felt the need to defend himself. we all saw what was what. It's the old "never argue with idiots" axiom. Just my take on it.

This.

The fact is, he didn't have to say anything. Anyone with eyeballs could see for themselves what has happened. When everyone knows exactly what happened, there is no need to say anything.

Then, to have "fans" take the article and talk about fans getting comeuppance is just dumb.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
This.

The fact is, he didn't have to say anything. Anyone with eyeballs could see for themselves what has happened. When everyone knows exactly what happened, there is no need to say anything.

Then, to have "fans" take the article and talk about fans getting comeuppance is just dumb.
I think part of what galled him was the dissing of all the players who played for him. Collins was always throwing shade at their talent level, despite the lack of results from his leadership.

I think standing up for your players is laudable. Oh...and no one at GT stood up for them, which is a very valid point.

If someone working for me came in and started talking crap about the previous leader, the 'culture' or the talent on the team the way TFG did I'd call them into the office the first time and fire them the second time. Pretty simple.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
I think part of what galled him was the dissing of all the players who played for him. Collins was always throwing shade at their talent level, despite the lack of results from his leadership.

I think standing up for your players is laudable. Oh...and no one at GT stood up for them, which is a very valid point.

If someone working for me came in and started talking crap about the previous leader, the 'culture' or the talent on the team the way TFG did I'd call them into the office the first time and fire them the second time. Pretty simple.

It was wrong of Collins to do so.

That said it was 4 years ago. Not much point in relitigating it.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
It was wrong of Collins to do so.

That said it was 4 years ago. Not much point in relitigating it.
Yep...logically not the right thing to do. I'm not a good enough man to not have done it if I were in his position. You want to get me going just mess with mine.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck

Agree. and you know who else didn’t stand up for the players? Many of our “fans”— including on this message board— that basically bought in to what Collins said and started recycling it. Thankfully haven’t heard much from them past year or so.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Agree. and you know who else didn’t stand up for the players? Many of our “fans”— including on this message board— that basically bought in to what Collins said and started recycling it. Thankfully haven’t heard much from them past year or so.

not to mention they called out anyone who did as "holding on to the past" or "needing to move forward" or defending "someone who quit". It was really dumb.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Man I thought CPJ went way too easy on Collins. I would have made fun of every damn dumb thing Collins did that didn’t work. Money down, competition is king, etc. Collins was down right hateful to CPJ for no reason. I’m much more revenge oriented and I would have slammed him so hard. Collins was a pitifully coach. Collins Ran CPJ into the ground and tried to blame CPJ for all of his horrible failings. Collins deserves much ridicule as possible. And if I were CPJ, I would have given it and piled on.
Not CPJ's style, at least publicly.
Privately? Different story.
All he really has to do when it comes to Collins is go, "scoreboard, b----"

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
not to mention they called out anyone who did as "holding on to the past" or "needing to move forward" or defending "someone who quit". It was really dumb.

Well, at least some of them are consistent because if you take a dump on Collins you get the same type of responses. :LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.