CPJ AJC Article

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
”It’s disappointing when there’s no success,” Johnson said. “But, basically, if you’re going to come in and talk the talk, you’d better be able to walk the walk.”

I say, Amen!

And …

“We didn’t spend a lot of time on uniforms,” Johnson said. “And swag. We worked on trying to play hard-nosed, tough football and be blue collar.”

My kind of coach.

2ndgenjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Well maybe the truth lies somewhere in between but certainly on the side of PJ’s point of view. He was not asked about his lack of success recruiting or not trying to adapt his offense but I am glad he addressed recruiting by saying they went to all the local high schools. So were his assistants not effective recruiting or him?

What I got out of this article was if he saw thru the Geoff BS, then the problem really was Todd by allowing it to continue as long as it did and then not admitting the mistake by doubling down. There is no doubt PJ did his best and for the kids and especialy for GT by letting us off without another huge buyout

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Well maybe the truth lies somewhere in between but certainly on the side of PJ’s point of view. He was not asked about his lack of success recruiting or not trying to adapt his offense but I am glad he addressed recruiting by saying they went to all the local high schools. So were his assistants not effective recruiting or him?

What I got out of this article was if he saw thru the Geoff BS, then the problem really was Todd by allowing it to continue as long as it did and then not admitting the mistake by doubling down. There is no doubt PJ did his best and for the kids and especialy for GT by letting us off without another huge buyout

The thing that wasn't effective was the same thing as ever. the kids who want to go tech and the kids who can actually go to tech are two separate groups (ya'll remember travis custis poor kid tried his damndest to get eligble). I know for a fact on my high school team there were very very few players who could cut it at tech. The big change of course was the aspect of the rise of 247 and self recruiting.

It use to be if you had a good relationship with the smaller high schools you could find diamonds in the rough pretty regularly. They'd let you know about a player that would be great in your offense, you'd come out they'd probably only hear from GT as a big name. They'd sign and play pretty well for us. After everyone has easy to make highlight reels by their parents on the recruiting sites those kids who always had the talent get the eyes of the bigger schools who have 2-3 staffers just looking through all these videos and flagging things.

They get an offer to Alabama to come and basically try out. Fail to make the team on paper (grey shirt or redshirt) and get processed to the transfer portal in a season or so then fall into obscurity.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
"But, three consecutive three-win seasons and six losses by 40 points or more (the previous six were spread out over 42 seasons) are also points of fact, as is the reality that Johnson himself coached through the same scheme change in reverse."
Wowza. This is it in a nut-shell. TFFG is easily the worst GT coach ever. He make B*** L**** look like Heisman...and I don't mean that as hyperbole.

And anyone who thinks CPJ was anything but a class act in that interview has major objectivity issues. It never ceases to amaze me how people who dig themselves into a 'wrong' hole so often just keep digging when given another shovel to help them get out.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
I think Johnson had the right to respond since Collins clearly made his predecessor a scapegoat for his failures very publicly. But I think it should end here because Collins is gone and we are onto a second coach after PJ. I would say the new coach could make a lot of friends if he would befriend PJ as a success in his tenure at GT.

slugboy

Staff member
I think Johnson had the right to respond since Collins clearly made his predecessor a scapegoat for his failures very publicly. But I think it should end here because Collins is gone and we are onto a second coach after PJ. I would say the new coach could make a lot of friends if he would befriend PJ as a success in his tenure at GT.
For that matter, Gailey as well

alagold

Helluva Engineer
To me PJ was a very capable coach who maximized his talent and his record showed it.He certainly had short-comings as a recruiter and on defense but his success speaks for itself--ESPECIALLY compared to what came after him.Oddly the coach that comes next will have the same lament as Collins about a BIG REBUILD but now HE is the reason.
PJ was more than generous in not ripping Collins to the max it seems.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
This would not even be a thing if Collins was more gracious when he took the job. No need in disparaging your predecessor who had a ton of success. His remarks turned off a lot of fans and former players who never forgave him for that. Add the fact that he failed in a historical fashion and it makes it even worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.