Coronavirus Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

LibertyTurns

Banned
@Techster 9% of Florida’s counties and probably the same percentage of land mass has 80% of the coronavirus positives, 50% of the deaths are in nursing homes. The other 90% of Florida is doing just fine. Again bowing to political pressure DeSantis shut all the bars down when he needed Dade, Palm Beach, Broward, etc. Maybe he figured the loonies from down there would run & infect the rest of us.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
@Techster 9% of Florida’s counties and probably the same percentage of land mass has 80% of the coronavirus positives, 50% of the deaths are in nursing homes. The other 90% of Florida is doing just fine. Again bowing to political pressure DeSantis shut all the bars down when he needed Dade, Palm Beach, Broward, etc. Maybe he figured the loonies from down there would run & infect the rest of us.

I hope you're right. I just don't see any reason to hide numbers. Makes you look suspicious for no reason.

I'd be interested to know the hospitalizations and deaths as a percentage of total infections reported. I think there would be some interesting outliers.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I hope you're right. I just don't see any reason to hide numbers. Makes you look suspicious for no reason.

I'd be interested to know the hospitalizations and deaths as a percentage of total infections reported. I think there would be some interesting outliers.
Florida reports hospitalizations on their C19 website. There have been 14,244 hospitalizations to date out of 141,075 or 10.1%. It’s pure laziness reporters cannot look it up, just pure lazy.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Florida reports hospitalizations on their C19 website. There have been 14,244 hospitalizations to date out of 141,075 or 10.1%. It’s pure laziness reporters cannot look it up, just pure lazy.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/corona...0200625-fxaqlfnlrbgm3ouzrcm55yhaxe-story.html

Florida’s Agency for Health Care Administration posts overall hospitalization numbers on its public website but does not break out COVID-19 patients or specifics on how many of them are hospitalized, admitted, discharged and in intensive care beds. The Florida Department of Health does not show daily new hospitalizations but rather a cumulative current total that does not illustrate peaks or trends at the county or state level.

LibertyTurns

Banned
https://www.sun-sentinel.com/corona...0200625-fxaqlfnlrbgm3ouzrcm55yhaxe-story.html

Florida’s Agency for Health Care Administration posts overall hospitalization numbers on its public website but does not break out COVID-19 patients or specifics on how many of them are hospitalized, admitted, discharged and in intensive care beds. The Florida Department of Health does not show daily new hospitalizations but rather a cumulative current total that does not illustrate peaks or trends at the county or state level.
Yes, but if you’re interested you take today’s total & subtract yesterday’s total; repeat the process for counties. Same deal for ICU beds. Yes, it would be nice for the state to do it but nobody down here likes to clean the chalkboard or buy chalk.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Yes, but if you’re interested you take today’s total & subtract yesterday’s total; repeat the process for counties. Same deal for ICU beds. Yes, it would be nice for the state to do it but nobody down here likes to clean the chalkboard or buy chalk.

The problem is, people aren't going to ICU just for Covid. There could be other reasons for ICU cases in the "take today’s total & subtract yesterday’s total".

That's the point. Why obfuscate? Just report the numbers and move on. Why can other states do it and not Florida?

LibertyTurns

Banned
The problem is, people aren't going to ICU just for Covid. There could be other reasons for ICU cases in the "take today’s total & subtract yesterday’s total".

That's the point. Why obfuscate? Just report the numbers and move on. Why can other states do it and not Florida?
Good question but I think most of us down here aren’t as interested in what’s going on in Dade, Palm Beach, etc as the rest of you guys apparently are. We’d rather the government do as little as possible. The thought of hiring another government employee is repulsive. They already don’t do much right and we certainly don’t need more.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Good question but I think most of us down here aren’t as interested in what’s going on in Dade, Palm Beach, etc as the rest of you guys apparently are. We’d rather the government do as little as possible. The thought of hiring another government employee is repulsive. They already don’t do much right and we certainly don’t need more.

Except people head down to Florida for vacation. I usually go once or twice a month this time of the year for salt water fishing trips. You think it would be a good thing for out of staters to know what's going on with Covid so they can make an informed decision so they don't bring it back with them?

The fact that you have to make excuses for Florida is pretty bad...not bad on you, but bad that Florida is putting you in a position to have to defend it's procedures. I live in GA, and our state is doing the same dang thing as Florida. Playing with numbers.

As tax paying citizens, both of us should expect better from our respective states.

Deleted member 2897

I just responded below. I hear and see Florida’s numbers seemingly every day. I’d be interested to hear what I’m missing. It doesn’t seem to missing. It seems to be everywhere, unless tons of news outlets are all making it up.

LibertyTurns

Banned
800 posts complaining about lack of data in Florida. A couple google searches, and everything seems to be right at your fingertips. So I guess I’ll fall for it and ask what am I missing?

https://tallahasseereports.com/2020...ive-trends-for-florida-in-coronavirus-battle/
Apparently we don’t tee it up precisely the way everyone else wants it teed up.

Really, we know what the agenda is. Battleground state & trying to swing the votes they can’t make up by voting multiple times. Everything has to be political these days.

Deleted member 2897

Apparently we don’t tee it up precisely the way everyone else wants it teed up.

Really, we know what the agenda is. Battleground state & trying to swing the votes they can’t make up by voting multiple times. Everything has to be political these days.

I mean those graphs and charts tee it up really well to me. On my first search to attempt to find it, I found everything that was supposedly missing. I don’t live in Florida, so I can’t really argue about where their data is or isn’t buried. But clearly it isn’t buried very far if everyone can find it and report on it.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I’m shocked anybody would argue we should have run death through our country like they did in Europe Because you can’t say you want New York City’s numbers right now or France, Italy, Spain, UK, etc without having gone through that. Europe is not a model to follow...unless you want to just rid the country of a ton of old people so we can move on.

I didn't say any of that. I'm shocked anybody could read my post and get that out of it.

Dpjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
We’ve had 2.59M cases in a population of 330M. The rate per 1k is closer to 7.9

I wonder, though: At what point for the sake of statistics and current real world impact do we reset the calendar of cases? A lot occurrences can happen in life simply because of time. Eventually everybody will have the flu or a have a tooth cavity or a car wreck (exaggeration, of course, but for illustration) but how is it best to represent the statistic in a meaningful way.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Just a friendly reminder to try to keep everything in perspective.....

Out of every 1,000 Americans, the number who have now tested positive for covid-19 is....3
Out of every 100,000 Americans, the number who have died from covid-19 is.......37

While the absolute numbers sound scary, the relative numbers are still quite small. If the person who has gotten sick or (god forbid) passed away from covid is a loved one, then for you it is a terrible tragedy. But for society as a whole, based on these numbers, it is not. Remember that between 50-60,000 Americans die each and every week in our country.

Footnotes:
@RamblinRed mentioned something about the US having a high mortality rate, but we remain well below the rates in Spain, Italy and the UK....all of which are around 60 per 100,000

All true, but to add a little more perspective it isn't just the chance of dying from the disease that is distressing - the chances with no underlying conditions are remote - it's the medium-term and long-term effects, many of which are not yet fully known or understood. And it is the way this disease progresses. One day you're feeling better and the next you're on a ventilator. It's a hairy eyeball kind of malady.

Status
Not open for further replies.