Coronavirus Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some people in this country (maybe most, but hopefully not) are just plain stupid. I have gone back and forth in FB with two different people, one a close friend, the other a Tech fan I do not know. Both of them got angry with me for saying that we have possibly seen the last sporting events we will see for the rest of 2020 and even into 2021. This is not something I want to happen, but barring the development of a cure or effective, and well-distributed preventative measures in the near future, I believe it to be so. And nothing yet has led me to believe that a cure or a vaccine will be properly tested and universally available anytime soon. I HOPE I am wrong, but nothing so far has convinced me to think otherwise. The Tech fan actually said the people of this country would not "tolerate" such delays. WOW. Who cares what we might "tolerate"? I personally would rather tolerated cancellations than be exposed to the virus when I don't have to be.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I appears that Georgia will issue a stay at home order today. The governor asked the Mayor of Atlanta to hold off issuing such an order for the city of Atlanta until after his 5:00 PM news conference.

Deleted member 2897

Some people in this country (maybe most, but hopefully not) are just plain stupid. I have gone back and forth in FB with two different people, one a close friend, the other a Tech fan I do not know. Both of them got angry with me for saying that we have possibly seen the last sporting events we will see for the rest of 2020 and even into 2021. This is not something I want to happen, but barring the development of a cure or effective, and well-distributed preventative measures in the near future, I believe it to be so. And nothing yet has led me to believe that a cure or a vaccine will be properly tested and universally available anytime soon. I HOPE I am wrong, but nothing so far has convinced me to think otherwise. The Tech fan actually said the people of this country would not "tolerate" such delays. WOW. Who cares what we might "tolerate"? I personally would rather tolerated cancellations than be exposed to the virus when I don't have to be.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I would completely disagree with your timeline. I am not angry with you about it by the way like they are :D but I disagree. I think so many countries that don't have our ridiculous FDA and CDC restrictions are testing all kinds of drugs and vaccines right now, and I suspect we'll see some positive outcomes in a couple months. I also think we'll see peaks in transmissions inside of a month. I also think the warm weather will help. All of this is speculation on my part. But I don't think we'll be locked in our homes this summer like we are now.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
Sounds like South Carolina will have some changes coming up this week as well. I hope they lock everything nation wide down soon. That is the thing that works might as well get it over with.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I would completely disagree with your timeline. I am not angry with you about it by the way like they are :D but I disagree. I think so many countries that don't have our ridiculous FDA and CDC restrictions are testing all kinds of drugs and vaccines right now, and I suspect we'll see some positive outcomes in a couple months. I also think we'll see peaks in transmissions inside of a month. I also think the warm weather will help. All of this is speculation on my part. But I don't think we'll be locked in our homes this summer like we are now.
IF those things happen which you say, then YES things will begin to normalize. But if they don't happen, this may extend for quite some time. And NO college or professional sports organization is going to open themselves up to being massively sued by somebody who claims (if not in fact does) to have been infected at one of their sponsored events. And you know damn well there are people who would do that. As far as the warm weather factor and assumption, it's been warm in the southern hemisphere, and that hasn't stopped the spread. It doesn't seem to be as widespread there, but that may only be a matter of time. We shall see.

herb

Helluva Engineer
I appears that Georgia will issue a stay at home order today. The governor asked the Mayor of Atlanta to hold off issuing such an order for the city of Atlanta until after his 5:00 PM news conference.

Thanks for posting. It will be interesting to see how restrictive it is and whether it is suggested or mandated.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
To remind your kids (and folks like Milwaukee) - a 12 year old girl with no pre-existing conditions is in critical condition on a ventilator right now.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/22/us/georgia-coronavirus-girl-hospitalized
Yes. It's a myth that children can't get COVID-19. They are less likely to get it or get a severe case, but that's no guarantee. Big problem = if they do have it, they are more likely to be asymptomatic. That's why the schools are being closed all over the place; infected kids can't spread the virus among themselves and then everybody else. Even bigger problem = As Aaron Carroll point out, imagine a daycare center with small children who are shedding the virus. Let's really, really hope that is a very rare occurrence.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
FB_IMG_1584992993172.jpg

The Tech fan in FB with whom I have been going back and forth about the possible end of athletics for this year, just posted that the experts always look for a worst-case scenario, and that we need to take a more positive approach. Boy, I'm glad he's not my doctor; I would probably be dead by now. And if he is an engineer and doesn't design things from a worst possible scenario point of view, then I sure wouldn't want to enter any buildings he was responsible for, or cross any of his bridges, or fly on any of his planes. WOW. This guy is just IGNORANT. It's a damn good thing he doesn't post on The Swarm, or I would probably get banned again. LOL

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

Well it isn't a full stay at home order. Elderly and those who have a compromised immune system are ordered to stay at home. Restaurants and bars must close. 12:00 Tuesday until 12:00 on April 6.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The Tech fan in FB with whom I have been going back and forth about the possible end of athletics for this year, just posted that the experts always look for a worst-case scenario, and that we need to take a more positive approach. Boy, I'm glad he's not my doctor; I would probably be dead by now. And if he is an engineer and doesn't design things from a worst possible scenario point of view, then I sure wouldn't want to enter any buildings he was responsible for, or cross any of his bridges, or fly on any of his planes. WOW. This guy is just IGNORANT. It's a damn good thing he doesn't post on The Swarm, or I would probably get banned again. LOL

The whole point so many of us have been espousing, I think yourself included, is that by mapping & assuming the worst case, we'll be able to take drastic measures to not land on that worst case.

Status
Not open for further replies.