Coronavirus Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
I love your condescension. I didn't say that. What I said is there is a plan, its been out, and its very clear. If your particular district chooses to ignore that or do something else, its on them. You might think about moving. But there is a solid and very detailed framework for them to work from.

Amazing, maybe you should be running the show. You are a great deal smarter than the entire school district.

Proud to have such a smart fellow as a GT fan!

Deleted member 2897

Amazing, maybe you should be running the show. You are a great deal smarter than the entire school district.

Proud to have such a smart fellow as a GT fan!

I had nothing to do with the plan. You’re being a condescending troll again. The state plan for school districts is public and I linked to it. You can go read it and then question your district why they are or are not doing anything and why they are or are not following it. I have nothing to do with any of that.

armeck

Jolly Good Fellow
I had nothing to do with the plan. You’re being a condescending troll again. The state plan for school districts is public and I linked to it. You can go read it and then question your district why they are or are not doing anything and why they are or are not following it. I have nothing to do with any of that.
That isn't a plan, though. A plan is actionable. SC has put out considerations and guidelines, each school system is tasked with creating a concrete plan.

slugboy

Staff member
My daughter was in an online only school for the past two years. She has a computer and decent Internet access. That will be a concern with some students. My daughter is a decent student, but it still took a LOT of attention from me and my wife for it to be successful. The online sessions with the teachers were not anywhere near as effective because the teachers appeared to be "virtual" teachers to her. She didn't have the same connection that she has had to in person teachers in the past.

Online only education will probably have terrible results for poor students. They won't have good computer equipment. They won't have good Internet access, if they have any at all. They won't have the teachers dedicated attention when they have issues learning something. And they likely won't have parents who have time to help, understand the material, and in some cases even care if their child learns.

Motivation is also a key factor, but even in a traditional setting it’s hard to manage.
I’ve seen my son miss a key concept and start to check out. That’s a time for the teacher or a fellow student to jump in and show them. If it’s virtual, it’s even easier to go unseen or just disconnect, especially if your parents aren’t there

I know math and science, so I can help my kids. Some other kids are going to be in a hard spot though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deleted member 2897

That isn't a plan, though. A plan is actionable. SC has put out considerations and guidelines, each school system is tasked with creating a concrete plan.

When I read that document, it seemed like a very detailed plan to me. Honestly it feels like people are just trying to manufacture reasons to complain. I don’t know how you can read that and think it’s not a plan. Sure, someone has to order the plastic desk shields for example and install them...but I mean come on. If your district is going to wait for the state to implement it and do everything for your schools, you’re in big trouble.

If you haven’t read the whole thing (it’s 50 pages), you might jump to the appendices. Under bus safety for example, it shows a diagram of how to sit kids on the bus to minimize spread. And so on. Yes, so a facilities person has to implement this - they have to mark X’s where the kids can sit or whatever, but it’s all there.

Last edited by a moderator:

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
How selfish are people in California gonna be?

At some point, new TV shows are gonna run out, leaving those of us using common sense on masks & social distancing in the lurch?

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Right, but at what number? It’s barely measurable. We can pick any number of things like the flu that have a significantly higher death rate in children.

C19 is different. You have to throw rational thinking out the window.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
New study from Switzerland. Some good news and bad news in terms of seroprevalence and what it means for schooling.
Let's start with the good. The infection rate in 5-9 yr olds is very small. Doesn't look to be an issue at all in that age category - that's great news compared to something like the flu.

the bad news is the infection rate in 10-19 yr olds is almost the same as the infection rate in 20-49 yr olds. So while they have lower odds of being seriously ill as older age groups they are just as likely to be infected and contagious.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31304-0/fulltext

So that to me is good news for the elementary schools. as long as there is not a significant outbreak in the community then it is likely they should be able to be in person.
It's less good news for middle and HS students as it suggests if there is any community spread going on that they have the potential to become incubators. Will likely have to be more careful with MS/HS and will need community spread to be lower for those to be safe.

I still think it is going to be all about strong metrics and really being willful in using those metrics. If things improve to where it is safe to have kids, teachers and staff in schools you have them in schools. If things flare up then you close the school down until it gets better. This is also one reason I think the pod idea might be a really useful one. If you keep kids at all levels in pods you could potentially keep more schools open and only have pods of kids and teachers out if you can catch the outbreaks fast enough.

NY released their state level plan for re-opening schools today, I like it alot. Very systematic. Very measurable.
students, teachers and staff have to be six feet apart. If that is not possible they have to wear masks.
In order to open the percentage of positive tests in a region has to be below 5% for 14 days. If the positve test rate exceeds 9% over a 7 day period schools will have to close.
Once a school closes it stays closed until 14 days of positive tests below 5%.
I like it because it is very measurable. You don't just say, 'yeah I think we are good lets get everyone in classes, or things are getting worse close everything done'. Strong metrics to follow and use.

IMO not following guidelines largely put us where we are now, this type of guideline allows you to do things in a way that minimizes the downside risk. Very German in its design.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
So a steady reassessment at discrete, scheduled points in time.

This sounds good to me as long as they have firm, measurable metrics to use to evaluate. It can't be qualitative (it feels like things are ok), it has to be quantitative - meet specific numbers.

Deleted member 2897

New study from Switzerland. Some good news and bad news in terms of seroprevalence and what it means for schooling.
Let's start with the good. The infection rate in 5-9 yr olds is very small. Doesn't look to be an issue at all in that age category - that's great news compared to something like the flu.

the bad news is the infection rate in 10-19 yr olds is almost the same as the infection rate in 20-49 yr olds. So while they have lower odds of being seriously ill as older age groups they are just as likely to be infected and contagious.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31304-0/fulltext

So that to me is good news for the elementary schools. as long as there is not a significant outbreak in the community then it is likely they should be able to be in person.
It's less good news for middle and HS students as it suggests if there is any community spread going on that they have the potential to become incubators. Will likely have to be more careful with MS/HS and will need community spread to be lower for those to be safe.

I still think it is going to be all about strong metrics and really being willful in using those metrics. If things improve to where it is safe to have kids, teachers and staff in schools you have them in schools. If things flare up then you close the school down until it gets better. This is also one reason I think the pod idea might be a really useful one. If you keep kids at all levels in pods you could potentially keep more schools open and only have pods of kids and teachers out if you can catch the outbreaks fast enough.

NY released their state level plan for re-opening schools today, I like it alot. Very systematic. Very measurable.
students, teachers and staff have to be six feet apart. If that is not possible they have to wear masks.
In order to open the percentage of positive tests in a region has to be below 5% for 14 days. If the positve test rate exceeds 9% over a 7 day period schools will have to close.
Once a school closes it stays closed until 14 days of positive tests below 5%.
I like it because it is very measurable. You don't just say, 'yeah I think we are good lets get everyone in classes, or things are getting worse close everything done'. Strong metrics to follow and use.

IMO not following guidelines largely put us where we are now, this type of guideline allows you to do things in a way that minimizes the downside risk. Very German in its design.

Kind of surprised they chose those metrics. If they have a testing supply shortage, schools will have to shut down due to high positive rate even if overall numbers are low. Or inversely, jack up testing and you can stay open forever.

slugboy

Staff member
This sounds good to me as long as they have firm, measurable metrics to use to evaluate. It can't be qualitative (it feels like things are ok), it has to be quantitative - meet specific numbers.

Changing on a monthly basis could be tough. If the cases go down in August, then DeKalb adopts a hybrid model for September. They have to arrange bus drivers and drop offs. There won’t be after school programs. The school plan changes on a date in September.
Then if the numbers get worse, schools go virtual again and the bus drivers go home.
In a plan like that, you could get whiplashed.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Cramer just announced a $1MM contest to develop next generation masks that people will want to wear. People aged 15-24 are able to enter. BOO YAH!!!

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Motivation is also a key factor, but even in a traditional setting it’s hard to manage.
I’ve seen my son miss a key concept and start to check out. That’s a time for the teacher or a fellow student to jump in and show them. If it’s virtual, it’s even easier to go unseen or just disconnect, especially if your parents aren’t there

I know math and science, so I can help my kids. Some other kids are going to be in a hard spot though

I said in an earlier post that stopping the epidemic can't be the only concern. In the case of school even going to virtual school is going to have an adverse impact on education. For some number of children switching to online school is going to end up pushing them out of school, or setting up younger children to drop out when they reach middle/high school age. How many additional people are going to die if primary/middle/high school is held on campus? How many additional children are not going to finish their education if school is either delayed or virtual until a vaccine is available? What would an 80 year old grandmother say if she was given a choice of living 5 more years or her grandchildren completing high school but not both?

Having school on campus during an epidemic isn't good for people who are susceptible to serious effects from COVID. Not having school on campus isn't good for the students. There are negative consequences to every decision that could possibly be made regarding school. Pointing out the negative consequences doesn't prove that a different method is the right thing to do, because every other method has negative consequences also. Since the US is so divided, people would rather point out how stupid people with other opinions are rather than fully discuss the issues and merits with all of the potential situations.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Kind of surprised they chose those metrics. If they have a testing supply shortage, schools will have to shut down due to high positive rate even if overall numbers are low. Or inversely, jack up testing and you can stay open forever.

To their credit they have tested more than anyone else. Even now they are testing more than most states in the country (Alaska, DC and LA test more per capita). They are testing almost 30% more people per capita on a daily basis than FL, more than 75% more per capita than GA is, so they have really done well there after the hurricane that hit them in March.

It's disappointing that we are having supply chain issues with testing again which has led to testing flattening out last week and is also leading to huge delays in testing - Quest is reporting that testing for non-priority patients is now taking 7-8 days.

@bwelbo , this should should go in the "Funny Stuff" thread, but I was afraid you wouldn't see it. Since you are in SC, I figured you would get a kick out of it, and I imagine everyone else here will too. It was part of an email I received from a California friend, with the subject line "Things I Love About the South". We all need a good laugh these days, so I hope the mods will begrudge me posting this here rather than in the "Funny Stuff" thread ---

South Carolina

A man in South Carolina had a flat tire, pulled off on the side of the road, and proceeded to put a bouquet of flowers in front of the car and one behind it. Then he got back in the car to wait.
A passerby studied the scene as he drove by, and was so curious he turned around and went back. He asked the fellow what the problem was.
The man replied, "I got a flat tahr."
The passerby asked, "But, what's with the flowers?"
The man responded, "When you break down, they tell you to put flares in the front and flares in the back. I never did understand it, neither."

Deleted member 2897

@bwelbo , this should should go in the "Funny Stuff" thread, but I was afraid you wouldn't see it. Since you are in SC, I figured you would get a kick out of it, and I imagine everyone else here will too. It was part of an email I received from a California friend, with the subject line "Things I Love About the South". We all need a good laugh these days, so I hope the mods will begrudge me posting this here rather than in the "Funny Stuff" thread ---

South Carolina

A man in South Carolina had a flat tire, pulled off on the side of the road, and proceeded to put a bouquet of flowers in front of the car and one behind it. Then he got back in the car to wait.
A passerby studied the scene as he drove by, and was so curious he turned around and went back. He asked the fellow what the problem was.
The man replied, "I got a flat tahr."
The passerby asked, "But, what's with the flowers?"
The man responded, "When you break down, they tell you to put flares in the front and flares in the back. I never did understand it, neither."

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

slugboy

Staff member
One of our friends in Florida said that the Governor is mandating statewide that the schools be fully open—no hybrid half virtual classes to space the students out—and masks are optional.
Parents are thinking that only a few kids at best will be wearing masks. If not day one, then soon after.
I need to double check on this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

herb

Helluva Engineer
One of our friends in Florida said that the Governor is mandating statewide that the schools be fully open—no hybrid half virtual classes to space the students out—and masks are optional.
Parents are thinking that only a few kids at best will be wearing masks. If not day one, then soon after.

that’s how rumors get started . . .

Deleted member 2897

K12.com baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.