Coronavirus Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

GT_EE78

Banned
FWIW, I think my fav comment i've seen today explaning how things happened has to do with this.
It didn't matter when you re-opened, what mattered is what you did while you were closed and what your plan was when you re-opened.

If you re-opened and didn't really have good plans in place, didn't follow recommendations on what to look for and what measures to achieve before moving forward to the next phase, didn't take the time to set up testing and tracing options -then whenever you chose to re-open you were likely going to have a huge increase in cases eventually. Whether you re-opened in May, whether you re-opened in June.

It matters less when you re-opened than how you re-opened.
Not the only factor.You're ignoring the riots which occurred about the same time as reopening. I don't see any way to segregate out the riot rise but know that it is substantial. thats likely in same age demographic as the partiers who don't follow guidelines.

Deleted member 2897

Can you name some particular European countries who returned to school in a way that you admire and that we should mimic? You realize they aren't all the same, right? Whose approach were you particularly fond of?

All of them. It’s somewhere around 25 countries now, give or take. No outbreaks.

Deleted member 2897

I do not see national guidelines for reopening schools as antithetical to accommodation of local variables. In Scandinavia for instance you have every thing from high rise urban school settings to remote rural schools. A national plan, like a good mathematical formula, allows for variables. Tech people can do this. :)

It’s a bit of splitting hairs. As long as decisions are made at the local level, that’s what matters.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
All of them. It’s somewhere around 25 countries now, give or take. No outbreaks.
Again, pick a country, and then we can compare where they were when they reopened and examine what their plan was for reopening. Just saying Europe isn’t very helpful.

Deleted member 2897

Again, pick a country, and then we can compare where they were when they reopened and examine what their plan was for reopening. Just saying Europe isn’t very helpful.

All 25. I don’t care what their plans were, I care that all of them sent their kids back to school. I’m guessing based on the news stories I saw they practiced good hygiene and kept everyone spaced. It’s not much more difficult than that - not a single country had an outbreak from it, so feel free to pick any or all of the 25 yourself.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
All 25. I don’t care what their plans were, I care that all of them sent their kids back to school. I’m guessing based on the news stories I saw they practiced good hygiene and kept everyone spaced. It’s not much more difficult than that - not a single country had an outbreak from it, so feel free to pick any or all of the 25 yourself.
So you are open to waiting until numbers get a little better, and having separate morning and afternoon sessions to limit class sizes, and having relatively small class sizes with desks far apart, and having tented classes outside to even further social distance? You are also ok with a phased approach starting with younger children and letting more go back over time while numbers are monitored? If so then why are we arguing?

Deleted member 2897

So you are open to waiting until numbers get a little better, and having separate morning and afternoon sessions to limit class sizes, and having relatively small class sizes with desks far apart, and having tented classes outside to even further social distance? You are also ok with a phased approach starting with younger children and letting more go back over time while numbers are monitored? If so then why are we arguing?

Who is arguing? LOL. I said let’s send our kids back to school. We have dozens of countries now who have done it and they haven’t seen any outbreaks.

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I do not see national guidelines for reopening schools as antithetical to accommodation of local variables. In Scandinavia for instance you have every thing from high rise urban school settings to remote rural schools. A national plan, like a good mathematical formula, allows for variables. Tech people can do this. :)

I think we could, but Tech people aren't running the government.

Some countries in Europe have strong organizational compliance traits like Germany and Sweden. In fact, Sweden never closed schools or businesses. They set guidelines and in general their citizens followed them. However their death toll was not low as some other European countries.

In the USA, organizational compliance is not one of our strong suits. It’s a mixed bag. Many people who don’t follow the straight and narrow create large successful businesses and new technologies. Others don’t follow the rules and end up in jail.

We are a long way from being able to analyze what worked and what didn’t work in this pandemic. I fear the US policies are not going to be in the what worked list.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Outstanding sign.
My fear is that the Rule of Law is rapidly becoming the Rule of Law as I see fit. If we go down this road much further, it will be far more damaging than Covid or protests could ever be.
Maintaining freedoms requires one to follow the damn rules. If you are too cool for school, then drop out. However, don't expect the rest of us to feed ya (major prob is, we are now and have for some time, done so), especially if "us" is a politician wanting votes.

Last edited:

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
My fear is that the Rule of Law is rapidly becoming the Rule of Law as I see fit. If we go down this road much further, it will be far more damaging than Covid or protests could ever be.
Maintaining freedoms requires one to follow the damn rules. If you are too cool for school, then drop out. However, don't expect the rest of us to feed ya (major prob is, we are now and have for some time, done so), especially if "us" is a politician wanting votes.

Yep. Respect for the rule of law and individuals accepting responsibility are at the foundation of a civil society.

It all starts in the home. The degradation of the family unit, particularly absent fathers, is one of the biggest issues facing this country.

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
What policies?

This is my guess at our policy. I am sure it is more involved than stated below.

Nationally our general policy is that the pandemic is not as bad as media sensationalism advertises and will go away on its own. The states need to deal with logistics of combating the virus with some help from the feds.

Most controls and guidelines have from the states or in some cases like my home state SC, cities and counties have taken the lead. We are not doing too well.

Last edited:

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
AJC article headline today: UGA student: Too many of my peers couldn't care less if grandma dies for the sake of shotgunned Bud Light.

Kind of hard to spin this in a positive way .....

Anyway, some facts from the CDC. Below is the weekly death count from all causes and COVID. As of today (10 July), the reported death rate (@bwelbo know these are only filed and official death certificates) started to tick up (6.3%) in the week ending the 4th of July. You can see the downward death trend (CDC data).
upload_2020-7-10_18-59-15.png

There are a lot more death certificates to come in this is only death certificates recorded through the bureaucracy as of today. And we'll see if the COVID deaths as a % of total continues to climb in later weeks. I expect it will given the infection rates but may not hit the previous 15% peak due to better treatment protocols since we are more experienced in treating this thing.

One really interesting non-Covid thing is look at the average previous number of deaths for the week ending on the 4th of July. "Hold my beer" effect from the holiday? (Have to end this well since death is so final. Talked to one friend who had corona virus today. After 3 weeks out of hospital he expects 2-3 months till he regains full stamina.)

If you can watch that without LMFAO off, I'm sorry.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2897

Kind of hard to spin this in a positive way .....

Anyway, some facts from the CDC. Below is the weekly death count from all causes and COVID. As of today (10 July), the reported death rate (@bwelbo know these are only filed and official death certificates) started to tick up (6.3%) in the week ending the 4th of July. You can see the downward death trend (CDC data).
View attachment 8539

There are a lot more death certificates to come in this is only death certificates recorded through the bureaucracy as of today. And we'll see if the COVID deaths as a % of total continues to climb in later weeks. I expect it will given the infection rates but may not hit the previous 15% peak due to better treatment protocols since we are more experienced in treating this thing.

One really interesting non-Covid thing is look at the average previous number of deaths for the week ending on the 4th of July. "Hold my beer" effect from the holiday? (Have to end this well since death is so final. Talked to one friend who had corona virus today. After 3 weeks out of hospital he expects 2-3 months till he regains full stamina.)

If you can watch that without LMFAO off, I'm sorry.

A local hospital just called in the National Guard - their ICU is almost full and too many of their employers are sick with COVID-19. Numbers statewide have been high, but stable now for 10 days. Stability is not great at these levels, but better than getting worse. Hospitalizations have quintupled since June 1st. Daily deaths have quadrupled...increasing about 10 days ago. MUSC (local hospital) has now 22 on ventilators. June 1st that was 0 with 5 hospitalizations. Now they’re over 100 and pulling in more staff from other areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.