Coronavirus Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Correct me if I am wrong but are the covid-19 situations = between Cherokee and Cobb (for example)? Don't get me wrong. I am not saying things such as the state suggesting social distancing, limiting large gatherings, promoting personal hygiene etcc. shouldn't be done. I feel like that is exactly what has been done. How do you plan to reprimand a school in rural GA for not following the same guidelines as one Inside the Perimeter if guidelines were given by the state and required? They are not the same. Their communities are not the same and their covid-19 outbreaks/situations are not the same. In your post and others after it, there appears to be county systems making clear decisions on how they will approach this school year. What is the fuss about?
What's all the fuss about is correct? Each kid goes to A school in A school district. That kid (and his/her family) can learn the plan specific to their upcoming school year... the logic behind it... at this point, they can even question it and try to shape it if they feel it isn't adequate. These decisions SHOULD be made at the local/lowest levels. That is a good thing. Some will miss and need to adjust ...but the odds a "higher authority" (the state, for example) can make it better does not make any sense to me. I understand others feel differently... but I don't understand it.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Correct me if I am wrong but are the covid-19 situations = between Cherokee and Cobb (for example)? Don't get me wrong. I am not saying things such as the state suggesting social distancing, limiting large gatherings, promoting personal hygiene etcc. shouldn't be done. I feel like that is exactly what has been done. How do you plan to reprimand a school in rural GA for not following the same guidelines as one Inside the Perimeter if guidelines were given by the state and required? They are not the same. Their communities are not the same and their covid-19 outbreaks/situations are not the same. In your post and others after it, there appears to be county systems making clear decisions on how they will approach this school year. What is the fuss about?
Is there something going on in Cobb that would require different start dates and safety guidelines than Cherokee? Are you trying to argue that because Cherokee County has an infection rate of 627 per 100k people with a lower population density vs 826 per 100k people with a higher population density that the two should have completely different safety protocols to stop the spread of a virus in a school?

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
FWIW, I think my fav comment i've seen today explaning how things happened has to do with this.
It didn't matter when you re-opened, what mattered is what you did while you were closed and what your plan was when you re-opened.

If you re-opened and didn't really have good plans in place, didn't follow recommendations on what to look for and what measures to achieve before moving forward to the next phase, didn't take the time to set up testing and tracing options -then whenever you chose to re-open you were likely going to have a huge increase in cases eventually. Whether you re-opened in May, whether you re-opened in June.

It matters less when you re-opened than how you re-opened.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Is there something going on in Cobb that would require different start dates and safety guidelines than Cherokee? Are you trying to argue that because Cherokee County has an infection rate of 627 per 100k people with a lower population density vs 826 per 100k people with a higher population density that the two should have completely different safety protocols to stop the spread of a virus in a school?

What about Taliaferro County with a 122 per 100k rate vs Echols County with a 4812 per 100k rate? What about Valley County Montana with a 0 per 100k rate vs Trousdale, TN with a 13,320 per 100k rate?

If there were a national standard that was required to be followed, some people would argue that it was too strict, while some would argue that school couldn't restart with those standards because it put people too much at risk. Some of that would be just political sides. However, it would be reasonable for someone in Valley County Montana to believe those standards were too strict while someone in Trousdale, TN thought those same standards are too loose.

Deleted member 2897

So you say they were vomit and inflammatory, but me saying they were completely irrational is "virulent anti-christian"?

No, I said you yourself were virulently anti-Christian. I’m not trying to insult you, I’m just going off the things you’ve posted before, including this post and figure you’d be like “you’re right I’m a rational person”. I mean really it’s a whatever...just didn’t want this to go down that rathole again.

Deleted member 2897

Of course there is some kind of plan at the lowest levels. You have to have something to go off of. I think the complaint is that there plans aren't really based off of anything and differ from state to state and even county to county. Cherokee County is opening on Aug 3rd with no mask requirements. Cobb County is opening two weeks later either with mask requirements or without them depending on which school board member you ask. Gwinett County is opening one week late with mask requirements. Fulton County is two weeks late with face masks required for staff but not students. Students are petitioning in Fulton county for safer requirements. The city of Marietta which his in Cobb County has already enacted a rule that masks would be required in schools. If Cobb County does not require masks then I have no idea which one takes precedence for a school in Marietta. Most counties are offering an online option, but im not sure if all do. In other words, everything is all over the place. From a state perspective, it looks like there is no leadership at all.

That’s the way it should be. There are some counties with bad outbreaks and some with hardly any cases at all. If the policies don’t vary by county then somebody isn’t doing something right.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
What about Taliaferro County with a 122 per 100k rate vs Echols County with a 4812 per 100k rate? What about Valley County Montana with a 0 per 100k rate vs Trousdale, TN with a 13,320 per 100k rate?

If there were a national standard that was required to be followed, some people would argue that it was too strict, while some would argue that school couldn't restart with those standards because it put people too much at risk. Some of that would be just political sides. However, it would be reasonable for someone in Valley County Montana to believe those standards were too strict while someone in Trousdale, TN thought those same standards are too loose.
This is why the argument that we should just do things like European countries did falls flat. We aren't capable of it.

Deleted member 2897

FWIW, I think my fav comment i've seen today explaning how things happened has to do with this.
It didn't matter when you re-opened, what mattered is what you did while you were closed and what your plan was when you re-opened.

If you re-opened and didn't really have good plans in place, didn't follow recommendations on what to look for and what measures to achieve before moving forward to the next phase, didn't take the time to set up testing and tracing options -then whenever you chose to re-open you were likely going to have a huge increase in cases eventually. Whether you re-opened in May, whether you re-opened in June.

I couldn’t disagree more. From what I’ve seen it’s all been about the behavior of people.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

I don't really even like the term "re-opened". I think it matters more how and why things were shut down and why and how restrictions were relaxed.

"We must re-open" was based on politics. However, regulations that prevent a father and son from fishing by themselves were not based on science. Such regulations did not prevent one person from being infected. Not relaxing such regulations wasn't based on science, it was based on politics. If politics had been left out of things from both sides, we could have relaxed things that had zero impact on spread of virus much sooner. We could have convinced people that social distancing and wearing masks were the key to getting things closer to normal. Instead we dug into extreme positions that don't help anything.

It went something like this:
"We must 're-open'"
"Not only can we not 're-open', you still cannot go fishing with your son or go to your vacation house to make sure the basement hasn't been flooded, and keeping you from driving to your vacation house is based on SCIENCE."
"You are an idiot and I am going to do whatever I want to do. You can't stop me, even if I want to enter your property and do what I want to do"
"OMG the world is ending"

We should all really step back and look at the current situation. What can we do to prevent/slow the spread of the virus without locking ourselves in our residences. Let's work on doing those things instead of arguing about how we got to where we are.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
That’s the way it should be. There are some counties with bad outbreaks and some with hardly any cases at all. If the policies don’t vary by county then somebody isn’t doing something right.
Counties aren't countries. They aren't sovereign nations. Why stop at counties also? How about a different policy for each street in each neighborhood? At some point you have to accept collective leadership.

Deleted member 2897

This is why the argument that we should just do things like European countries did falls flat. We aren't capable of it.

Well what they did was send the kids back to school and nobody saw any outbreaks. From what I can tell, they didn’t do anything magical - they just practiced good hygiene and tried to keep the students separated.

Deleted member 2897

Counties aren't countries. They aren't sovereign nations. Why stop at counties also? How about a different policy for each street in each neighborhood? At some point you have to accept collective leadership.

Because each street in the neighborhood doesn’t run a school district. Good lord LOL. School districts are run at the county/city level nationwide, so that’s where the policies and leadership are directed from...with a bit of oversight from the state and federal level.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Because each street in the neighborhood doesn’t run a school district. Good lord LOL. School districts are run at the county/city level nationwide, so that’s where the policies and leadership are directed from...with a bit of oversight from the state and federal level.
Yet there are already state laws and polices that apply to every school in the state for some reason.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Well what they did was send the kids back to school and nobody saw any outbreaks. From what I can tell, they didn’t do anything magical - they just practiced good hygiene and tried to keep the students separated.
Can you name some particular European countries who returned to school in a way that you admire and that we should mimic? You realize they aren't all the same, right? Whose approach were you particularly fond of?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Of course there is some kind of plan at the lowest levels. You have to have something to go off of. I think the complaint is that there plans aren't really based off of anything and differ from state to state and even county to county. Cherokee County is opening on Aug 3rd with no mask requirements. Cobb County is opening two weeks later either with mask requirements or without them depending on which school board member you ask. Gwinett County is opening one week late with mask requirements. Fulton County is two weeks late with face masks required for staff but not students. Students are petitioning in Fulton county for safer requirements. The city of Marietta which his in Cobb County has already enacted a rule that masks would be required in schools. If Cobb County does not require masks then I have no idea which one takes precedence for a school in Marietta. Most counties are offering an online option, but im not sure if all do. In other words, everything is all over the place. From a state perspective, it looks like there is no leadership at all.

My point was the same.

l have children who are teachers and principals who are on pins and needles right now due to lack of leadership on a system level, state level and national level. Conflicting directives and confusion is the order of the day. No one in academics in my family knows if and when we are even opening.

Meanwhile CDC guidelines have gotten caught up in politics.

In my earlier post I was simply pointing out the obvious. Countries that have successfully opened schools had a national policy and a plan.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I do not see national guidelines for reopening schools as antithetical to accommodation of local variables. In Scandinavia for instance you have every thing from high rise urban school settings to remote rural schools. A national plan, like a good mathematical formula, allows for variables. Tech people can do this. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.