Coronavirus Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
Maybe, but is she right or wrong?

She's wrong. At least in the influenza tweet I responded too. Not sure about the other 4 or 5 tweets that were spammed. Some very brief googling shows this

She quotes 24k as the number of influenza deaths for the most recent flu season when that's just the lower bound for their estimate, 24k-62k. Why just use the lower bound? Probably because she's a hack.
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/preliminary-in-season-estimates.htm

She quotes 80k for influenza deaths in 2018. CDC lists 34,200 deaths for the 2018-2019 flu season.
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/2018-2019.html
So not sure where 80k comes from. She could be counting flu deaths for the whole year...maybe? But then that wouldn't be comparing one flu season to another and seems like apples to oranges. Why would she do that? Probably because she's a hack.

She is good at saying things that will get some people retweeting her and keeping her paid with speaking gigs and what not. She peddles in attention and telling people what they want to hear so they can laugh their butt off and think "spot on".

LibertyTurns

Banned
She's wrong. At least in the influenza tweet I responded too. Not sure about the other 4 or 5 tweets that were spammed. Some very brief googling shows this

She quotes 24k as the number of influenza deaths for the most recent flu season when that's just the lower bound for their estimate, 24k-62k. Why just use the lower bound? Probably because she's a hack.

She quotes 80k for influenza deaths in 2018. CDC lists 34,200 deaths for the 2018-2019 flu season.
So not sure where 80k comes from. She could be counting flu deaths for the whole year...maybe? But then that wouldn't be comparing one flu season to another and seems like apples to oranges. Why would she do that? Probably because she's a hack.

She is good at saying things that will get some people retweeting her and keeping her paid with speaking gigs and what not. She peddles in attention and telling people what they want to hear so they can laugh their butt off and think "spot on".
Not sure what I was mistaken about, but ok. I don’t remember arguing with you about bad C19 data.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
Not sure what I was mistaken about, but ok. I don’t remember arguing with you about bad C19 data.
I put that in my signature a while back since I had a laugh about it and forgot about it. I think we were discussing healthcare in Canada or something....regardless, it ran it's course. Removed

Regarding deaths due to the influenza in this most recent year --- https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/preliminary-in-season-estimates.htm A line that sticks out in that link is "NOTE: The week of April 4 was the last week in-season influenza burden estimates will be provided for the 2019-2020 season." If she had used the upper bound, I bet you would have come to the same conclusion by saying that she exaggerated the final count. So what difference does it make? You would have slammed her in either case, which proves nothing.
Regarding 2018, https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/26/health/flu-deaths-2017--2018-cdc-bn/index.html Since CNN quotes the CDC as saying there were 80,000 deaths, does that make CNN a hack too?

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer

This is humorous. I ignored the tweet that caught your eye, as to me arguing about the flu vs covid is ....so first quarter!

This is the tweet i was referring to, because...well, most of it is (mostly) true....

Candace Owens

✔@RealCandaceO

Things that were consider “conspiracy theories” a month ago, that are now verified facts.

1) People that were never tested are added to the #coronavirus death toll.
2) Hospitals are paid more for Covid-19 deaths.
3) The virus is nowhere near as deadly as “experts” predicted.

You can argue whether it is misleading or not...#1 is true but somewhat irrelevant.....#2 doesn't interest me at all (I guess she is trying to suggest there is a conspiracy to report high numbers?) and #3 is quite true (unequivally so). But, the are indeed true....and all too often the MSM or the cranky left wing media dismiss things as unsubstantiated or 'disproven' when what they really mean is 'so what'.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
She "hopes that's helpful". To me it was a bunch of BS.
My understanding is that her explanation is NOT what the CDC guidelines call for. However, it might help explain some of the counting......

Bottom line is...we do NOT have good solid numbers on covid deaths for a simple reason...I doubt we could all agree on how to define a covid death. I have said many times that if a person with covid dies of emphysema or heart failure...is that a "covid death" or did they die because they had this underlying health problem? One can argue that one in circles for quite a while.....

LibertyTurns

Banned
My understanding is that her explanation is NOT what the CDC guidelines call for. However, it might help explain some of the counting......

Bottom line is...we do NOT have good solid numbers on covid deaths for a simple reason...I doubt we could all agree on how to define a covid death. I have said many times that if a person with covid dies of emphysema or heart failure...is that a "covid death" or did they die because they had this underlying health problem? One can argue that one in circles for quite a while.....
If I’m getting paid $20k for a regular patient and $40k for a C19 one, you can be damn sure every one that had sniffles, a headache, a toe sore, dry eye, diarrhea or a dry cough is going on that C19 list.

Deleted member 2897

If I’m getting paid $20k for a regular patient and $40k for a C19 one, you can be damn sure every one that had sniffles, a headache, a toe sore, dry eye, diarrhea or a dry cough is going on that C19 list.

The whole thing is ****ing stupid. If cities do a good job of keeping cases down, hospitals cancel all elective procedures, are bleeding out money, and yay a good thing happens - they have few cases - they are punished. The hospitals full of COVID cases are the only ones who still have normal revenue. So we give them even more money and shun the hospitals who need it. Idiotic.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The whole thing is ****ing stupid. If cities do a good job of keeping cases down, hospitals cancel all elective procedures, are bleeding out money, and yay a good thing happens - they have few cases - they are punished. The hospitals full of COVID cases are the only ones who still have normal revenue. So we give them even more money and shun the hospitals who need it. Idiotic.
In a national health crisis, the authorities will, of course, keep as much hospital capacity in reserve as possible. Thinking that you are out of the woods because you aren't in a New York style public disaster is … well, really stupid. That some hospitals in areas with low caseloads aren't at full capacity is a good thing, not an outrage. We might need them going forward (like in a couple of weeks).

Maybe I was wrong about you and Dunning-Kruger effects.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Probably not. The people who do the day to day work, don't change with Administrations.
They did with this one. See: Michael Lewis. 2018. The Fifth Risk. New York: Norton. Everyone should read this book.

Btw, the fifth risk is the one you run when you think only in terms of short run problems. The last sentence in the book: "It's what you fail to imagine that kills you." As we are now finding out.

In a national health crisis, the authorities will, of course, keep as much hospital capacity in reserve as possible. Thinking that you are out of the woods because you aren't in a New York style public disaster is … well, really stupid. That some hospitals in areas with low caseloads aren't at full capacity is a good thing, not an outrage. We might need them going forward (like in a couple of weeks).

It's definitely an outrage when hospitals in smaller cities are almost empty because of some stupid mandate not to allow elective surgeries, some of which, though elective, are badly needed.

They did with this one. See: Michael Lewis. 2018. The Fifth Risk. New York: Norton. Everyone should read this book.

Btw, the fifth risk is the one you run when you think only in terms of short run problems. The last sentence in the book: "It's what you fail to imagine that kills you." As we are now finding out.
The MAJORITY of workers in federal agencies have been there for years and did not change with this administration any more than they did when Obama first took office.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I’ll just speak up for the CDC employees that I know after working closely with the agency for 10 years. They aren’t incompetent. They aren’t political warriors. Alot of them are very astute and intelligent individuals who are doing the best they can do with what they have. Nobody here is going to see 99% of the work they do. Most of them could make considerably more money in the private sector yet choose not to because they feel the work they are doing is making a difference. Some of them are working 10 hour days right now and weekends. I’m sure it’s convenient to deride them because it helps your nonsense political arguments but they aren’t the demons or morons that you guys seem to think they are.

Deleted member 2897

That’s not what I said. I said the way they structured the payments was stupid. You’re just being an incessant troll so into the ignore dust bin you go. There is no point in constantly twisting what people say and trying to be argumentative all the time and insulting people for no reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.