Coronavirus Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
You missed the point.

The basic epidemiology on a virus like SARS-Cov-2 is as well settled as the science of climate change. What is different about the virus is that we have less data available to analyze it. Hence, our predictions tend to be dicey. The risk is well established, however; the only questions are how great the infection rate will be and what the IFR is. While not as grave a threat as global warming, trying to "handle" the virus by adopting pleasing half-measures and hoping for the best (magical thinking, iow) may so greatly increase the difficulties we face as to make it impossible for human efforts to influence its toll among us. Sorta like just cruising along and not taking the necessary steps to limit global climate change.
Well, since the "science" of climate change seems to change every 20-30 years, depending on prevailing weather conditions, I guess we will never know anything for sure. Is the Corona virus pandemic as grave a threat as global cooling and the imminent next ice age was in the 1970s?

Deleted member 2897

You missed the point.

The basic epidemiology on a virus like SARS-Cov-2 is as well settled as the science of climate change. What is different about the virus is that we have less data available to analyze it. Hence, our predictions tend to be dicey. The risk is well established, however; the only questions are how great the infection rate will be and what the IFR is. While not as grave a threat as global warming, trying to "handle" the virus by adopting pleasing half-measures and hoping for the best (magical thinking, iow) may so greatly increase the difficulties we face as to make it impossible for human efforts to influence its toll among us. Sorta like just cruising along and not taking the necessary steps to limit global climate change.

Yes, the science is about equally settled on both of them. They are both real. The brightest minds in the world who study them are about as equally wildly in accurate. The experts on both sides are also both equally as confident that they are still the smartest people on the planet.

LibertyTurns

Banned
A lot of people on here seem to be enamored with IQ and degrees. If being really smart and racking up a bunch of advanced degrees was so important why do we have so many supposed idiots running businesses.

Look at the C19 statistics and see how they skyrocket after passing of the CARES Act boosting medical payments to hospitals, etc for treating C19 patients. It’s not a coincidence it’s good old American payola.

Deleted member 2897

Other things considered conspiracy theories 1 month ago:
1) The FBI conspired to set up Flynn.
2) COVID-19 is transmissible through the air.
3) Brennan, Clapper, Schiff and others testified and heard testimony under oath back through 2019 during hearings that there was never any evidence of any Russian collusion, but they all continued to state the opposite to the press.
4) Murder hornets are in the US
5) The economy is in Great Depression range.
6) While it’s against the rules for the Fed to buy stocks and bonds, it can skirt those rules by purchasing ETFs through intermediaries like Blackrock.
7) The deficit this year could exceed $4 Trillion.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This thread moves to quickly to keep up, so I made the decision to stay out, but I'd just like to point out that both sides of the argument attempt to use data.

Then there's this floating out there in the world...

Deleted member 2897

This thread moves to quickly to keep up, so I made the decision to stay out, but I'd just like to point out that both sides of the argument attempt to use data.

Then there's this floating out there in the world...

The “A” in Aluminum is indeed silent.

giphy.gif

LibertyTurns

Banned
@dtm1997 You all keep yucking it up in the Elite Brilliant Northeast, but if you Yanks would just stay home in your dirty filthy cities South Florida wouldn't even crack the Top 200 in C19 cases. You guys plus Chicago, Detroit, etc which is basically the bastions of Nanny State excellence dominate in C19 mismanagement.

The rest of the Florida is even lower and it’s not even clear that shutting down any part of the state outside of Miami (NYC’s 6th borough) was warranted. If it wasn’t for having a high number of nursing homes down here we’d probably not even have more than a handful of cases statewide in the 3rd most populous state in the nation. Perhaps you guys should start drinking Bud Light and following more of the advice you get on Tick Tock? :LOL::LOL::LOL:

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/opini...ual-mockery-floridians-have-slowed-infections

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive...-ways-to-monitor-coronavirus-outbreak-us.html

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@dtm1997 You all keep yucking it up in the Elite Brilliant Northeast, but if you Yanks would just stay home in your dirty filthy cities South Florida wouldn't even crack the Top 200 in C19 cases. You guys plus Chicago, Detroit, etc which is basically the bastions of Nanny State excellence dominate in C19 mismanagement.

The rest of the Florida is even lower and it’s not even clear that shutting down any part of the state outside of Miami (NYC’s 6th borough) was warranted. If it wasn’t for having a high number of nursing homes down here we’d probably not even have more than a handful of cases statewide in the 3rd most populous state in the nation. Perhaps you guys should start drinking Bud Light and following more of the advice you get on Tick Tock? :LOL::LOL::LOL:

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/opini...ual-mockery-floridians-have-slowed-infections

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive...-ways-to-monitor-coronavirus-outbreak-us.html

I've been staying home in my dirty, filthy city, but it feels like the air is getting too clean and that just ain't right!

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It really is amazing isn’t it? Probably makes you want to ban automobiles in the city.

I have a car & assigned parking, so while I don't use it often, I'm OK having a car here. It's convenient when I do need it.

That said, it's pretty amazing. The sky is exceptionally blue today.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
CDC Scientists Overruled in White House Push to Re-start Airport Fever Screenings:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...ings-for-covid-19/ar-BB13QhnH?ocid=spartandhp

From the article:
"Scientists, including those at the CDC, have repeatedly insisted that those measures miss the large percentage of people infected with COVID-19 who display no symptoms  or can infect others before or without spiking a fever. And fever can be a sign of a wide range of illnesses."

False confidence and wishful thinking seem to be the current strategies of the Administration. The CDC tried this early on, and found it didn't work. We've learned a lot since then, but the White House hasn't.

Last edited:
CDC Scientists Overruled in White House Push to Re-start Airport Fever Screenings:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...ings-for-covid-19/ar-BB13QhnH?ocid=spartandhp

From the article:
"Scientists, including those at the CDC, have repeatedly insisted that those measures miss the large percentage of people infected with COVID-19 who display no symptoms  or can infect others before or without spiking a fever. And fever can be a sign of a wide range of illnesses."

False confidence and wishful thinking seem to be the current strategies of the Administration. The CDC tried this early on, and found it didn't work. We've learned a lot since then, but the White House hasn't.
I will simply point out a paragraph from a link posted earlier by @bwelbo :

During a task force meeting Wednesday, a heated discussion broke out between Deborah Birx, the physician who oversees the administration’s coronavirus response, and Robert Redfield, the director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Birx and others were frustrated with the CDC’s antiquated system for tracking virus data, which they worried was inflating some statistics — such as mortality rate and case count — by as much as 25 percent, according to four people present for the discussion or later briefed on it. Two senior administration officials said the discussion was not heated.

“There is nothing from the CDC that I can trust,” Birx said, according to two of the people.

Status
Not open for further replies.