Coronavirus Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2897

Surely you know how empty this statement is.

But did you read the previous context? It was for people where it doesn’t matter what accommodations their employer makes, they’re not comfortable going back to work. It’s not a heartless statement on my part, I’m just conveying what options they’ve left for themselves. If a person can say they don’t feel comfortable working but they want to stay at home and still get paid (and we’re not talking for a few weeks - we’re talking for several months), I mean then the whole country would do that. IIWII.

slugboy

Staff member

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Unfortunately the USS THEODORE ROOSEVELT (CVN-71) is a good microcosm with "“As of today, 94 percent of Theodore Roosevelt crew members have been tested for COVID-19, with 660 positive and 3,920 negative results,” according to Friday’s COVID-19 report from the service. “4,059 sailors have moved ashore.” I have been on that ship and many others. Social distancing is impossible in crews quarters. https://news.usni.org/2020/04/17/navy-cdc-to-study-covid-19-outbreak-on-carrier-theodore-roosevelt

Also MLB is doing large scale testing. https://www.wsj.com/articles/mlb-employees-to-participate-in-coronavirus-antibody-study-11586944803

We'll get more facts in the next few months. I have to keep reminding myself that the first cases were only 4 months ago.

It not what we don't know that gets us in trouble, it's what we know that isn't so.

Here's an update from the Navy on CVN71. More positives (660 to 710) and fewer negatives (3920 to 3872) than a few days ago. Wonder if that is from false negatives found on retesting or from the amount of viral material increasing above a threshold in a person's body. {rhetorical question} Plenty of stories about false negatives.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/21/nea...navirus-stricken-aircraft-carrier-tested.html "As of today, 94% of USS Theodore Roosevelt crewmembers were tested for Covid-19, with 710 total positive and 3,872 negative results,” the service wrote in a release."

Here in Virginia, we don't really have a clue. 8000 per 1,000,000 tested. In our small town we have 7 reported cases. But the locals know of at least 8 people at home currently sick and not on the rolls. My wife and I have talked about it and will do our best to ride it out at home. No need to get tested as the treatment is the same. (And no, we never considered the snake oil salesman recommendation for hydroxychloroquine but have bought other standard flu symptom treatment drugs.)

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
It not what we don't know that gets us in trouble, it's what we know that isn't so.

Here's an update from the Navy on CVN71. More positives (660 to 710) and fewer negatives (3920 to 3872) than a few days ago. Wonder if that is from false negatives found on retesting or from the amount of viral material increasing above a threshold in a person's body. {rhetorical question} Plenty of stories about false negatives.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/21/nea...navirus-stricken-aircraft-carrier-tested.html "As of today, 94% of USS Theodore Roosevelt crewmembers were tested for Covid-19, with 710 total positive and 3,872 negative results,” the service wrote in a release."

Here in Virginia, we don't really have a clue. 8000 per 1,000,000 tested. In our small town we have 7 reported cases. But the locals know of at least 8 people at home currently sick and not on the rolls. My wife and I have talked about it and will do our best to ride it out at home. No need to get tested as the treatment is the same. (And no, we never considered the snake oil salesman recommendation for hydroxychloroquine but have bought other standard flu symptom treatment drugs.)
Is there any explanation why VA is testing so few? It looks like VA is in bottom 5 in nation in test per capita. It could be a few different reasons... I have not seen any reporting on it.

Deleted member 2897

Is there any explanation why VA is testing so few? It looks like VA is in bottom 5 in nation in test per capita. It could be a few different reasons... I have not seen any reporting on it.

Weird isn't it. We've had heavy pre-screening for close to 2 months, which has kept us from ever being close to our testing capacity (SC). And still, almost 90% of the tests we run come back negative.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Welcome back Mr. Redirection!

Flattening the curve doesn't mean, and has never meant, reducing the outbreak to close to zero. All it means is keeping the hospital system traffic below their capacity. In other words to your question - no, nobody was implying that and that wasn't the question.
Just quoting so that folks can read it again and maybe have it sink in...

Flattening the curve is to keep from overwhelming the medical system so that say if someone has a heart attack there is a place at the hospital for them.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Weird isn't it. We've had heavy pre-screening for close to 2 months, which has kept us from ever being close to our testing capacity (SC). And still, almost 90% of the tests we run come back negative.
Yeah... I consider myself relatively intelligent... the data around this virus is confounding to me. I'm not too ashamed to admit it... to all you clowns. ;)

Deleted member 2897

Yeah... I consider myself relatively intelligent... the data around this virus is confounding to me. I'm not too ashamed to admit it... to all you clowns. ;)

HA HA! I regularly admit to my being confounded. For example, yesterday we set an all time new high in cases (40k versus old record of 34k) despite being in week 5 of a shutdown. While the overall test volume trend continues to creep upwards, it really hasn't changed in 3 weeks.
https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/full-list-covid-19-tests-per-day

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer

I'm expecting us to get back to some type of normalcy over the next couple of months, but I'm also starting to think this is a real possibility, simply because this feels like a lawsuit waiting to happen if a player was to come down with the coronavirus and it lead to hospitalization or God forbid something worse.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I'm expecting us to get back to some type of normalcy over the next couple of months, but I'm also starting to think this is a real possibility, simply because this feels like a lawsuit waiting to happen if a player was to come down with the coronavirus and it lead to hospitalization or God forbid something worse.
Specific to football... since its been played we've been willing to accept the violence of the game and its associated risks. The long-term health effects for some injuries are serious. We accept the risk... we attempt to make the game as safe as possible for the participants as we learn more.... and they play. I HOPE.. a contagious virus will not be treated any differently... potential lawsuits and all. Why should it?

...and that applies to everything we do daily as well. Understand the risks... mitigate them... and carry on.

Deleted member 2897

Specific to football... since its been played we've been willing to accept the violence of the game and its associated risks. The long-term health effects for some injuries are serious. We accept the risk... we attempt to make the game as safe as possible for the participants as we learn more.... and they play. I HOPE.. a contagious virus will not be treated any differently... potential lawsuits and all. Why should it?

...and that applies to everything we do daily as well. Understand the risks... mitigate them... and carry on.

For healthy people at their age, the risk of any real health issue is pretty close to zero anyway.

It will be real interesting to watch as we get closer to the fall. Think about a school like Clemson who sells out their stadium of 80,000 (or comes close to it) almost every Saturday. That's about $4m in loss revenue * 7 games = $28m in missing money. And all the school gear sold in the campus stores on weekends and so on.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Well one, I can tell you for a fact that movie theater employees and bowling alley employees are not 1099 employees. Two, the CARE ACT does cover 1099 employees, but many of the states have had trouble adjusting to this, causing mass delays. However, help is on the way.
I concur on the movie theatre and bowling alley folks...those baffle me. (Makes me wonder who Kemp knows that owns one of those...) Salons and nail salon and gym folks do tend to be gig workers, so there it might make more sense.

CARE does indeed cover 1099 employees, but they were forced into the second wave of applications, which promptly ran out of money. Congress is supposed to approve more money this week, but they screwed around for 12 days on this at a time when those people were in separate need, and frankly it p***es me off they took so long! Yes, help is on the way, but that doesn't do much for a gig worker staring at an attorney's letter threatening them about non-payment of their rent. And when exactly is this help going to arrive?

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer

Totally agree about the inherent risk regarding football, and really any sport that is played, however, I just believe that this corona deal is a different animal and is viewed different by society. Maybe by fall it's less prevalent or there's better treatment, but I just believe that at least some players (and their parents/guardians/families) don't see this as the same type of risk.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Didn't I read somewhere that the death rate amongst teenagers in the entire US is so far.....0.000% (in other words...none)?

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Totally agree about the inherent risk regarding football, and really any sport that is played, however, I just believe that this corona deal is a different animal and is viewed different by society. Maybe by fall it's less prevalent or there's better treatment, but I just believe that at least some players (and their parents/guardians/families) don't see this as the same type of risk.
Then...don't participate? I can't imagine universities penalizing players who feel that way...

684Bee

Helluva Engineer

You're right, it has been viewed differently. It's made some people lose their ability to think rationally. They just emotionally react, and I've seen some people suggest that the standard of safety is to guarantee a 0% chance of getting C19. That's just ridiculous.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Big article in today's WSJ about a restaurant in Oregon who is calling workers to come back to work, and they are turning down the work because they are earning more on Unemployment. They are being paid $15/hour plus tips, but earning more by staying unemployed.

React as you will. It is not a "normal situation".

gthxxxx

Jolly Good Fellow
Who is it that likely makes it possible for that someone to not leave home? What is more likely to happen to that someone when they do have to go out for obvious reasons? It's no simple. What IS simple is that testing is required to prevent needless deaths.
I don't see how testing is simple. How long does it take for a test result to come out? What accuracy? Is a test easy enough that anybody can apply and analyze the result? Let's say magically we had enough tests to give every person in the U.S. 100 tests each, that the test application/results only takes minutes, the accuracy is 100%, that anybody with kindergarten literacy and mobility can apply, and that somehow everybody has them now. In this current state and your experience of living in the U.S., do you think the virus can be contained before that batch of tests run out? Personally, I would say the odds are not in our favor.

Deleted member 2897

Big article in today's WSJ about a restaurant in Oregon who is calling workers to come back to work, and they are turning down the work because they are earning more on Unemployment. They are being paid $15/hour plus tips, but earning more by staying unemployed.

React as you will. It is not a "normal situation".

With the federal portion, Oregon pays $1200 per week for unemployment. ($60k/year). You can bet a wide swath of workers didn't make anywhere close to that...and they can make this much without having to work now. In South Carolina, we pay below average, so our unemployment payout is only $45k/year rate...same moral hazard though.

Status
Not open for further replies.