Coronavirus Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2897

I already explained this. It has to do with the difference between being furloughed and laid off. I’m not about to explain it again. You can look back for it.

I know what you said. The short answer to my question is - nothing.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Two things:

Yes, there is a flu vaccine. Yet it still killed 60,000 people in a recent year.

When we do have a C19 vaccine, it won't be a magic bullet. There are some who believe that C19 has mutations and different strains.

Keep in mind that 50K is a modeling estimate. That actual death certificate number for that year was 11K+.
Gives you a sense of what the likely ultimate death toll from this is going to be when we are already well over 30K death certificates for COVID19.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
The answer to a lot of these questions is that you do what everybody else is doing. Grocery stores, restaurants, home improvement stores - their cost of doing business all went up. So you adjust your cost back to the customer as best you can and tweak your business model as best you can. With regards to crowds, I don't know about where you are, but we have a maximum amount of people allowed in a grocery store (for example) here. Outside on the sidewalk are orange painted Xs 6 feet apart. Someone monitors the entrance, and if the store is full, a line starts forming outside, 6 feet between people. Obviously if you pull up and see there's a long line of 30 people outside, you'll go find something else to do.

Maybe they charge double to bowl because of all the required sanitization and having every other lane open and what-not. Maybe people pay that because they're desperate for something fun to do. Maybe they don't and the business tweaks the way they do things or closes back up.
If you double the cost of games then it’s going to be a pretty hard sell. I’m not sure how many people are so desperate to bowl that they will pay double and risk their own health.

As for grocery stores, here they do have 6 foot markings on the aisles and arrows so that traffic should only go one way. From my observation, maybe half of the people are paying attention to it. There are no limits on how many people can enter.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
i think the next couple of weeks is likely to get very testy.
There are already some businesses that have said tonight they will not re-open, that includes the major movie cinema's, SoulCycle, and some gyms.
Mayor of Atlanta is talking about taking legal action.
All AME churches have been told by the Bishop not to hold in person services this weekend.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Keep in mind that 50K is a modeling estimate. That actual death certificate number for that year was 11K+.
Gives you a sense of what the likely ultimate death toll from this is going to be when we are already well over 30K death certificates for COVID19.

There is a difference with regard to COVID-19. Flu isn't reported as the reason for death in a lot of cases, hence the estimates which are higher than death certificates. There isn't hyper attention paid to the flu. People don't really care that tens of thousands of people in the US die from it every year. I don't think many deaths are caused by COVID-19 that aren't being attributed to it.

BTW, the 2017-2018 season that lists 61k deaths has an uncertainty range from 46k to 95k. If people would wash their hands, cough into their elbow, and stay away from others when they are sick, tens of thousands of lives could be saved form the flu every year. That isn't meant as a call to ignore COVID-19, it is meant as a call to not ignore a disease that has been killing tens of thousands every year for as long as I have been alive.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
To be fair, the regulations were publicized. The biggest ones being social distancing, but the types of businesses they decided to open are essentially incapable of operating with social distancing. Barbershops, nail salons, massage parlors? Good luck getting a haircut or a massage from 6 feet away. Others include regular sanitation, and limits on the amount of people per 1,000 sq ft.
And using masks, and required temperature checks on employees, if I understand correctly.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Also, I’m not aware of a single civilian business in the US that checks your vaccinations as a requirement for employment and not every state has 100% mandatory vaccination requirements for school age children. About half the states allow parents to opt out and many do.
They will soon. We already have herd immunity for most of the major diseases (but see measles) and it isn't so much of a concern. But we don't for this one.

The rest of your post simply repeats your original points without any argument at all. No need to respond to that. Come up with a justification and we'll all listen.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The protests are beginning and i side with the protestors:cigar:

See:

It seems you are in a - shall we say? - minority. Btw, this is a truly massive poll and the results are dead (no pun intended) stable. Most of this is an astroturf operation as well. You can find the gory details in any news story on the "protests".

684Bee

Helluva Engineer

OK. So then you have to accept that C19 death numbers aren’t official yet, either. We can all go round and round on this.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I remain highly suspicious that those urging slower approaches to reopening businesses are those not suffering economically.

I suspect that some of the businesses Kemp decided to reopen are those primarily staffed by 1099 workers, whom are getting stiffed financially. Employees get unemployment checks. 1099 workers haven’t been. Try living on 0 income for 6 weeks and tell me how you feel then.

You know two employees who face tough choices? I know at least 5 gig workers who have gotten no money for 6 weeks and are desperate to be able to start getting ANY income going.

I will continue to argue that there is more human tragedy in this than that which is occurring in hospitals. I know of one suicide...so far.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
OK. So then you have to accept that C19 death numbers aren’t official yet, either. We can all go round and round on this.
I suspect @684Bee has a valid point. A 22 year old woman died here in Georgia with a pulmonary embolism shortly after a cesarean childbirth. Because she also tested positive for Covid, she gets counted as a Covid death when it likely had nothing to do with her passing.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I remain highly suspicious that those urging slower approaches to reopening businesses are those not suffering economically.

I suspect that some of the businesses Kemp decided to reopen are those primarily staffed by 1099 workers, whom are getting stiffed financially. Employees get unemployment checks. 1099 workers haven’t been. Try living on 0 income for 6 weeks and tell me how you feel then.

You know two employees who face tough choices? I know at least 5 gig workers who have gotten no money for 6 weeks and are desperate to be able to start getting ANY income going.

I will continue to argue that there is more human tragedy in this than that which is occurring in hospitals. I know of one suicide...so far.
I'm sure you are right. I'm also sure that it doesn't matter if you are.

The laws we've passed so far are both unfair and coercive. Some workers are covered; some aren't. The ones who aren't are caught in Catch-22. The simplest solution would have been to return what workers have already paid in taxes by withholding to them right away, then have the government write a check to the Treasury. The problem is that we could all suffer and pretty badly because we've passed inadequate laws. I feel for those left out, but I don't think the solution is to risk a re-ignition of the virus. The solution is another round of relief and people are working on that.

I also doubt your premise, but maybe you are right. But my guess = Brian Kemp doesn't care even one whit for gig workers.

gthxxxx

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm sure you are right. I'm also sure that it doesn't matter if you are.

The laws we've passed so far are both unfair and coercive. Some workers are covered; some aren't. The ones who aren't are caught in Catch-22. The simplest solution would have been to return what workers have already paid in taxes by withholding to them right away, then have the government write a check to the Treasury. The problem is that we could all suffer and pretty badly because we've passed inadequate laws. I feel for those left out, but I don't think the solution is to risk a re-ignition of the virus. The solution is another round of relief and people are working on that.

I also doubt your premise, but maybe you are right. But my guess = Brian Kemp doesn't care even one whit for gig workers.
Just to be clear, what amount of relief and for how long? For context, U.S. GDP for 2019 was $21+ trillion. Not to mention a significant portion of the relief combined with the shelter orders is essentially the government paying people not to contribute to the GDP, which makes it several magnitudes worse. Additionally, unlike a normal recession where the gears are still turning, a significant chunk of industries are at minimal support or have closed shop. I didn't major in IE or management, but I imagine that phase of starting things up is probably the most costly. Meanwhile, no idea of a timeline of when the Covid problem will be resolved or at least contained. And whatever woes are facing public/private organizations and businesses, I'd wager the individual citizens' savings and ability to borrow are much much less. So again, when? Is it on the order of weeks? months? years?

Last edited:

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer

Well one, I can tell you for a fact that movie theater employees and bowling alley employees are not 1099 employees. Two, the CARE ACT does cover 1099 employees, but many of the states have had trouble adjusting to this, causing mass delays. However, help is on the way.

LibertyTurns

Banned
They will soon. We already have herd immunity for most of the major diseases (but see measles) and it isn't so much of a concern. But we don't for this one.

The rest of your post simply repeats your original points without any argument at all. No need to respond to that. Come up with a justification and we'll all listen.
You stated there were states with compulsory vaccinations. This is not the case and will never be the case.

My next response to this will come when someone explains how someone who shelters at home and doesn’t leave is harmed by someone going to work somewhere else in a town. Makes no sense. All we got is either I want to control you or we need to placate the handful of people that want accommodations/compensation for any situation they can dream up. It’s part of what’s wrong with our country now. Everyone feels entitled to a safety net.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
You stated there were states with compulsory vaccinations. This is not the case and will never be the case.

My next response to this will come when someone explains how someone who shelters at home and doesn’t leave is harmed by someone going to work somewhere else in a town. Makes no sense. All we got is either I want to control you or we need to placate the handful of people that want accommodations/compensation for any situation they can dream up. It’s part of what’s wrong with our country now. Everyone feels entitled to a safety net.
Who is it that likely makes it possible for that someone to not leave home? What is more likely to happen to that someone when they do have to go out for obvious reasons? It's no simple. What IS simple is that testing is required to prevent needless deaths.

Status
Not open for further replies.