Coronavirus Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

GT_EE78

Banned
> The Cali data sure doesn't seem to support what we've been told about this mostly effecting the elderly
As of April 9, 2020, there are a total of 19,472 positive cases and 541 deaths in California.

Ages of all confirmed positive cases:
  • Age 0-17: 269 cases
  • Age 18-49: 9,469 cases - - 49%
  • Age 50-64: 5,347 cases - - 27%
  • Age 65 and older: 4,335 cases - - 22%
  • Unknown/Missing: 52 cases
https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID/DCDC/Pages/Immunization/ncov2019.aspx

Deleted member 2897

> The Cali data sure doesn't seem to support what we've been told about this mostly effecting the elderly
As of April 9, 2020, there are a total of 19,472 positive cases and 541 deaths in California.

Ages of all confirmed positive cases:
  • Age 0-17: 269 cases
  • Age 18-49: 9,469 cases - - 49%
  • Age 50-64: 5,347 cases - - 27%
  • Age 65 and older: 4,335 cases - - 22%
  • Unknown/Missing: 52 cases
https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID/DCDC/Pages/Immunization/ncov2019.aspx

That is totally consistent with what we’ve seen. Infection has been wide and broad. Hospitalization and death has been concentrated among older people.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
@GT_EE78 These stats where the combine data for 18 & 20 year olds with 50 year olds drive me nuts. Do these people have a brain?
this, i mean you have what a 31 year range for one, then 14 for another? why not just do it in 10 year ranges? and to me, hospitalization and death would be more important than a bunch of people testing positive but having no symptoms.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
> no big surprise that a french study of patients who had to be admitted to ICU showed over 75% to be obese.
> If i understand the results, BMI>35 versus BMI <25 was 7.36 times more likely to require a ventilator
First published:09 April 2020

https://doi.org/10.1002/oby.22831

This article has been accepted for publication and undergone full peer review but has not been through the copyediting, typesetting, pagination and proofreading process, which may lead to differences between this version and the Version of Record. Please cite this article as doi:10.1002/oby.22831

Abstract

Objective

The Covid-19 pandemic is rapidly spreading worldwide, notably in Europe and North America, where obesity is highly prevalent. The relation between obesity and severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) has not been fully documented.

Methods

In this retrospective cohort study we analyzed the relationship between clinical characteristics, including body mass index (BMI), and the requirement for invasive mechanical ventilation (IMV) in 124 consecutive patients admitted in intensive care for SARS-CoV-2, in a single French center.

Results

Obesity (BMI > 30 kg/m2) and severe obesity (BMI > 35 kg/m2) were present in 47.6% and 28.2% of cases, respectively. Overall, 85 patients (68.6%) required IMV. The proportion of patients who required IMV increased with BMI categories (p < 0.01, Chi square test for trend), and it was greatest in patients with BMI > 35 kg/m2 (85.7%). In multivariate logistic regression, the need for IMV was significantly associated with male sex (p < 0.05) and BMI (p < 0.05), independent of age, diabetes, and hypertension. The odds ratio for IMV in patients with BMI > 35 kg/m2 vs patients with BMI < 25 kg/m2 was 7.36 (1.63-33.14; p=0.02)

Conclusion

The present study showed a high frequency of obesity among patients admitted in intensive care for SARS-CoV-2. Disease severity increased with BMI. Obesity is a risk factor for SARS-CoV-2 severity requiring increased attention to preventive measures in susceptible individuals.
I looked at it. I'm not competent to evaluate the medical conclusions, but with 124 subjects at one center in one country using a retrospective cohort design the power (i.e. the chance that the study's results will replicate) is pretty low. That such a high proportion of the subjects were males (73%) and that the BMI that shows up is for truly obese people doesn't help.

Still, a little data goes a long way. Better something, even if you can't be sure of the results, then nothing.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
FB_IMG_1586591508399.jpg

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Now, now. My father's family is from Mississippi. But there's no reason to deny the truth; it's a poor state and the leadership it elects has usually made things worse. My folks down there are the first to admit it too.

Haha, I think the only official warning I've ever gotten was due to an anti-Mississipi comment I made.

That state is off limits. You're gonna get bann'd. I'm surprised the plug hasn't been pulled on me y...

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Just an FYI...

(CNN)People in the Czech Republic can now shop at hardware and bicycle stores, play tennis and go swimming. Austria plans to reopen smaller shops after Easter. Denmark will reopen kindergartens and schools from next week if coronavirus cases remain stable, and children in Norway will return to kindergarten a week later.

These nations are the first in the West to start feeling their way gradually out of the limits on daily life imposed by governments to curb the spread of the coronavirus.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I have a question about the racial impact of the China coronavirus. There have been snippets in the news about this, but my quick reading does not seem to shed much light on the topic beyond some broad statistics.

My basic question is simple....isn't mortality in poor communities always worse than mortality in richer communities? And is the china coronavirus any different in that regard?

Another why of asking the same question is to ask why this virus should be any different from most other health issues affecting poor communities?

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
I have a question about the racial impact of the China coronavirus. There have been snippets in the news about this, but my quick reading does not seem to shed much light on the topic beyond some broad statistics.

My basic question is simple....isn't mortality in poor communities always worse than mortality in richer communities? And is the china coronavirus any different in that regard?

Another why of asking the same question is to ask why this virus should be any different from most other health issues affecting poor communities?

Everything has to have a racial component these days. Even though 98% of what is going on the USA is much better for any racial minority relative to any time and place in the past, we have to harp on that 2%, and sometimes even make stuff up so that there appears to be a 2%.

Deleted member 2897

Genetically, African American and Latino communities (from what I’ve read) suffer from things like high blood pressure and diabetes more than others. This virus attacks people with those traits more. African American communities also have a lower general trust in government directives like these for many historical reasons. They tend to not go to hospitals until much later in the disease cycle. This was stated on multiple world news broadcasts, so this isn’t me just typing my own opinion by the way. There’s both a racial and socio-economic factor.

On the news, they listed several cities and showed how African American deaths accounted for 70% of the total even though they comprised only 30% of the population.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Everything has to have a racial component these days. Even though 98% of what is going on the USA is much better for any racial minority relative to any time and place in the past, we have to harp on that 2%, and sometimes even make stuff up so that there appears to be a 2%.

No, not everything has to have a "racial" component.

And please don't dismiss racial issues by suggesting that "98%" of things are "much better" than ... whatever. Are you intimating that, because things are better than they we're 40 years ago, we have nothing to complain about?

Genetically, African American and Latino communities (from what I’ve read) suffer from things like high blood pressure and diabetes more than others. This virus attacks people with those traits more. African American communities also have a lower general trust in government directives like these for many historical reasons. They tend to not go to hospitals until much later in the disease cycle. This was stated on multiple world news broadcasts, so this isn’t me just typing my own opinion by the way. There’s both a racial and socio-economic factor.

On the news, they listed several cities and showed how African American deaths accounted for 70% of the total even though they comprised only 30% of the population.

This is well explained.

This should probably go in the political threads, but since it was posted here initially, it only makes sense to respond here
This virus attacks people with those traits more. African American communities also have a lower general trust in government directives like these for many historical reasons..
So why do African Americans vote so overwhelmingly in favor of big government candidates?

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
No, not everything has to have a "racial" component.

And please don't dismiss racial issues by suggesting that "98%" of things are "much better" than ... whatever. Are you intimating that, because things are better than they we're 40 years ago, we have nothing to complain about?.[/QUOTE

I believe we need to view things through a lens of relative to your other options and relative to where we’ve come from. In that light, the USA at this present time is an incredible place for all types of people.

There will always be those that, instead of accepting personal responsibility and address how their own attitude and mindset is their biggest obstacle, cling to the crutch of victimization and point the finger at someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.