Coronavirus Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Studdard63

GT Athlete
I don’t think a parade is necessary but leaving out all the facts is unnecessary and expected from Breitbart. Also, I haven’t seen any articles mentioning that all of the masks you referenced were actually N95 masks. There is a difference between masks and N95 masks, comparing apples to oranges.

slugboy

Staff member
Re: masks

There have been some reasons not to recommend masks for the general public

1. If we use all the medical grade masks, medical personnel face an even worse shortage than they face now
2. Masks are somewhat effective, but if they give a false sense of confidence then people will expose themselves more while wearing masks. You’ll filter out 90% of the germs but go out 20x as often

Saw this description of some of the pros and cons a short while ago (random luck)

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1246262176337334272.html

Before You Put On That Mask

I get it. You want to do *anything* you can to prevent the spread of this virus to you and your loved ones.

But before you put it on, PLEASE keep the following in mind:

1. Most importantly, wearing a mask does not in any way substitute for staying home. Staying home is BY FAR the best thing you can do to slow the spread of the virus. Do not think that you can now do non-essential activities because you are wearing a mask. Stay home.
2. There is no evidence that “mask-wearing countries” have lower rates of spread *because of* mask wearing. The countries that socially wear masks also instituted robust testing and isolation protocols, as well as widespread adherence to stay at home directives. Some even
instituted government surveillance of infected individuals through use of GPS devices to track and monitor their movements.
3. Remember: the masks that you will be using let in (& out) 60-97% of viral particles, depending on the mask you use. They aren’t sealed around the edges & their filtering capability varies. Something is better than nothing, but don’t let that give you a false sense of security.
4. The virus can enter and infect you through your eyes. Healthcare workers are using googles and/or face shields because of this.
5. The virus can linger in hair. Respiratory droplets from people breathing, coughing, & sneezing can land in your hair & you can infect yourself from there when you touch your hair then face. Healthcare workers wear head covers because of this.
6. Your mask loses effectiveness as it gathers moisture from your breathing inside it. It should not be worn for extended periods of time.
7. Your mask becomes contaminated when it is exposed to the virus. When you take it off, do it outside or in your garage, grasping it with one finger by the ear straps and put it in the trash. Immediately do thorough hand washing or sanitizing. Cloth masks should be washed.
We don’t know yet how long viral particles can live in the nooks and crannies of cloth masks.
8. Masks are *meant* to protect other people from you, not you from other people. Mask wearing works best if sick people have them on.
9. Consider the social consequences and harm to communities of color when they wear masks. Do not socially shame them if they make a different decision than you.
10. Lastly, and I cannot emphasize this enough: STAY HOME and don’t let mask wearing be an excuse for resuming activities that put you near other people.

Much love and stay safe, y’all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LibertyTurns

Banned
I don’t think a parade is necessary but leaving out all the facts is unnecessary and expected from Breitbart. Also, I haven’t seen any articles mentioning that all of the masks you referenced were actually N95 masks. There is a difference between masks and N95 masks, comparing apples to oranges.
There’s all kinds of articles out there. N95 respirators, surgical face masks, etc. Production rates are skyrocketing to meet the demand. The problem is production is in China & they have restricted exporting. We off-shored manufacturing because all the clean smart jobs would be in the US and all the dirty dumb manufacturing jobs would be located overseas. We did this to ourselves with decades of shortsighted policies.

https://www.scmp.com/business/compa...-face-mask-production-capacity-450-cent-month

http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2020-03/02/c_138835152.htm

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-byd-masks-idUSKBN2100UE

Studdard63

GT Athlete
My issue is there are no articles saying Bill Gates and Elon Musk are producing 300 Million N95 masks, which are much more expensive and take longer to produce than run of the mill surgical masks. Comparing the production of surgical masks to N95 masks (which 3M produced more than 10 million more for the US last month) is comparing apples and oranges.

GT_EE78

Banned
They produced over 10 million more for the US last month but ignore that part. Do you really want to get in a trade war over medical supplies in the middle of pandemic...bold move.
It's totally irrelevant. After US production has ramped up to meet all needs , then we can(and should) share with others. In the meantime(with some exceptions) foreigners must wait.

GT_EE78

Banned

LibertyTurns

Banned
My issue is there are no articles saying Bill Gates and Elon Musk are producing 300 Million N95 masks, which are much more expensive and take longer to produce than run of the mill surgical masks. Comparing the production of surgical masks to N95 masks (which 3M produced more than 10 million more for the US last month) is comparing apples and oranges.
Here’s an article where it specifies N95. Also’s an article with Buffet getting N95 masks flown from China to NY. If I got the time, I’ll dig up the article where it talks about Gates & Musks manufacturing facilities in China.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/1887780/printing-money-chinese-mask-producers-booming

https://nypost.com/2020/04/01/warren-buffet-goldman-sachs-partner-help-nyc-hospital-get-masks

GT_EE78

Banned
Re: masks
That's a huge mixed bag of both good and misleading info.
I'm only going to respnd to misleading items. Don't think I'm disagreeing with all of it.
Anything that reminds one that masks aren't perfect and don't replace other guidelines is a good thing!
seriously man, what the hec does one's race have to do with avoiding this virus? it was bizarre that such was included.

Status
Not open for further replies.