Contract details for Georgia Tech's Geoff Collins & coaching staff

305jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Here's a comparison to the previous staff, with Candeto acting as our "OC":
HC ($0): Geoff Collins ($3.0M) vs. Paul Johnson ($3.0M)
DC (-$125k): Andrew Thacker ($450k) vs. Nate Woody ($575k)
OC (+$200k): Dave Patenaude ($400k) vs. Craig Candeto ($200k)
OL (+$308k): Brent Key ($600k) vs. Mike Sewak ($292k)
S (+$135k): Nathan Burton ($325k) vs. Shiel Wood ($190k)
TE (+$35k): Chris Wiesehan ($300k) vs. Ron West ($265k)
WR (-$49k): Kerry Dixon ($235K) vs. Buzz Preston ($284k)
DE/OLB (-$66k): Marco Coleman ($230k) vs. Andy McCollum ($296k)
CB (-$27k): Jeff Popovich ($230k) vs. Joe Speed ($257k)
RB (-$38k): Tashard Choice ($225k) vs. Lamar Owens ($263k)
DL (+$20k): Larry Knight ($210k) vs. Jerome Riase ($190k)

Really not as drastic of an increase as I expected, for all the new investment talk.

So if we are only paying around $500k a year more for the new staff, and we paid Temple $2.5m for Collins, where did the rest of the money go? CPJ walked away on his own, we didn't have to pay a massive buyout.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Really not as drastic of an increase as I expected, for all the new investment talk.

So if we are only paying around $500k a year more for the new staff, and we paid Temple $2.5m for Collins, where did the rest of the money go? CPJ walked away on his own, we didn't have to pay a massive buyout.
This article goes through the breakdown:
www.ajc.com/sports/college/georgia-tech-transition-was-not-cheap/7cRAUbhoJpXuhVKODr8ZjI/amp.html

We're seeing a $400k increase, but we're still paying CPJ and his staff through next month. CPJ also collects a $250k check each of the next 4 years. So if I understand correctly: we are paying ~$3 million to the old staff to not coach for 6 months, we paid a lump $2.5 million to Temple, and we experienced a $400k increase in expenses for on-field salaries, plus salaries for newly created off-field positions. So about $6 million total from the rainy day fund.

yrp

Jolly Good Fellow
It’s really amazing we fundamentally fail to appreciate the interrelationships of multi-million dollar enterprises and their synergistic effects. Is the myopia from Engineer’s disciplines being so narrow and individualistic & not primarily team oriented like other endeavors? Maybe it’s the right/wrong nature of our craft and we can’t effectively rationalize the grey? I really do not know.

The effect that winning championships in sports has on kids that are interested in sports is the same as the effect winning Nobel prizes has on kids that are into academics, but more importantly on recruiting top professors and researchers. They're the ones that'll control our academic rankings. You're also forgetting that GTRI brings in a **** tonne of money as well.

Not to mention the fact that "some nerds" winning Nobel prizes are contributing a lot to humanity. Honestly you sound like a dawg who's trying to make fun of Tech.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Or maybe it goes to actual evidence. Those who say that sports brings in more money and applicants to schools cite anecdotal evidence of a school who has recently had success and has recently grown. However, they ignore evidence of schools who haven't been in championship games who have also grown. GT's applications and quality of applications are at an all time high. GT is building and expanding across 75/85. Is that due to recent football/basketball championships? Is the growth and high application level at most schools due to pressure to have a degree and loose college loan lending?

I am not convinced that sports does not have an impact, but I haven't seen any actual study that makes that conclusion. I have seen forum posts and national sports media stories that cite anecdotal evidence of success without a comparison to average growth rates across all schools.
I haven’t done study obviously and you can dismiss my anecdotal evidence but I was working at Duke when Coach K started winning and I can tell you that it was clear on campus and accepted by administration that the basketball program was paying off in a big way. Duke was already well off and was very selective but the head of admissions told me personally that the quality overall of their applicant pool had gone up. The Development and fundraising types said much the same.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I haven’t done study obviously and you can dismiss my anecdotal evidence but I was working at Duke when Coach K started winning and I can tell you that it was clear on campus and accepted by administration that the basketball program was paying off in a big way. Duke was already well off and was very selective but the head of admissions told me personally that the quality overall of their applicant pool had gone up. The Development and fundraising types said much the same.

It isn't my intention to dismiss anecdotal evidence, and your example wasn't exactly what I was referring to. I have read articles in sports publications and heard people discuss on sports radio how Alabama's campus is expanding and their application numbers have gone up. They directly attribute this to success in football and suggest that other schools should spend as much on football to get similar results. Like the old saying correlation doesn't prove causation. That line of thinking ignores schools like GT. GT's campus is expanding. 25 years ago it was thought that GT could not expand because it was land locked. It has expanded a little bit into the Home Park area, but a lot into the Midtown area where there is very expensive real estate. GT's applications numbers have gone up dramatically. There are many universities without football programs who are expanding. However, just like the previous statement non-correlated situations don't disprove causation.

To actually prove causation, someone would have to figure out the average growth rates of universities, then compare the growth rates of schools with successful sports programs to schools without successful programs. In fact, the comparisons would have to be broken down even more to account for other factors such as: STEM/non STEM schools, areas of the country, size of schools, etc. that have been increasing/decreasing. I don't think there is anyone who cares enough to actually do a study. I don't care enough to spend the time. Sports publications and radio shows don't really care, they just want to drive ratings/clicks.

Animal02

Banned
It isn't my intention to dismiss anecdotal evidence, and your example wasn't exactly what I was referring to. I have read articles in sports publications and heard people discuss on sports radio how Alabama's campus is expanding and their application numbers have gone up. They directly attribute this to success in football and suggest that other schools should spend as much on football to get similar results. Like the old saying correlation doesn't prove causation. That line of thinking ignores schools like GT. GT's campus is expanding. 25 years ago it was thought that GT could not expand because it was land locked. It has expanded a little bit into the Home Park area, but a lot into the Midtown area where there is very expensive real estate. GT's applications numbers have gone up dramatically. There are many universities without football programs who are expanding. However, just like the previous statement non-correlated situations don't disprove causation.

To actually prove causation, someone would have to figure out the average growth rates of universities, then compare the growth rates of schools with successful sports programs to schools without successful programs. In fact, the comparisons would have to be broken down even more to account for other factors such as: STEM/non STEM schools, areas of the country, size of schools, etc. that have been increasing/decreasing. I don't think there is anyone who cares enough to actually do a study. I don't care enough to spend the time. Sports publications and radio shows don't really care, they just want to drive ratings/clicks.
I think Tech made a mistake not buying up Home Park property when it was cheap and available. I looked at the house I lived in on Tumlin....little concrete block thing...2 bed 1 bath...less than 1000k SF......valued at 350k now.
Winning championships and big bowl games does apparently increase application, from what I have read.