Contract details for Georgia Tech's Geoff Collins & coaching staff

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Yes, but regulations have not stopped the HillNerds before.

And then they are fired and the President resigns. Even if they break regulations for a short period to fund the GTAA, the GTAA would likely be forced by a court to repay the money. It wouldn't help long term, and would likely result in strict oversight and monitoring of everything the GTAA does.

It just seems to me that I hear a lot of so called fans say things like(using "you" in general, not you specifically):
  • I won't support the program until the HC is fired, or until the new HC proves himself. -- Fans should be supporting the program regardless of HC. GT didn't arrive at the bottom of football spending in the ACC in the last three years, it has been sliding for a long time. People like to complain about Duke being ahead of GT in recruiting rankings, but GT had 1/4 the recruiting staff of Duke until recently. If a group of people demand results, they should be willing to put forth the resources necessary to achieve those results.
  • I won't buy tickets and go to the game because it is: too early, too late, don't like mid-afternoon games, too hot, too cold, too crowded this weekend in Atlanta, etc. -- Fans should go to games. mutt games are sold out and full when they are at 12:00 or 12:30, early and hot don't seem to affect their fans. GB Packers games are sold out and full late in the year when it is colder than it ever gets in Atlanta. Cold doesn't seem to affect their fans.
  • Wealthy people should donate more. -- If you want GT to have better resources, then you should donate more. Wealthy people do donate more. There is one former player that people on this forum have called out and said he should be donating. I read that that former player recently donated an "additional" $5 million to the GTAA. "Other" people are doing their part. Fans should stop worrying about "other" people and start doing their part.
I push really hard on fans to do their part. I see lots of posts from people who demand results and call for assistant coaches, head coaches, AD, etc to be fired. However many of those people don't attend games and don't donate. To me it is pathetic to do nothing but sit back in a recliner and complain that everyone else in the world isn't doing enough to make the game you watch on TV have better results.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
CPJ had a payoff even for retiring in his contract. Some of the assistants(not sure of how many) were under two year contracts, so they had to be paid for 2019. It is possible that some of the previous support staff were paid severance. Temple had to be paid a buyout for hiring CGC. That is at least a large chunk of the money.

EDIT: I just looked up the Temple buyout. GT paid Temple $2.5 million as a buyout for CGC.

CPJ's retirement payoff was 1 mil, IIRC. Then the 2.5 mil buyout to Temple, then I believe we pay Woody half a million next year. So thats 4 million right there. Glad we didn't hire a search firm.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The GTAA needs to take the long view when it comes to building the Fanbase. All this talk about encouraging sidewalk fans and they ignore the low hanging fruit... the student body. Guess what, the student body eventually become graduates with deep pockets. What percentage of those graduates actually donate to the athletics? Enough said.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
The GTAA needs to take the long view when it comes to building the Fanbase. All this talk about encouraging sidewalk fans and they ignore the low hanging fruit... the student body. Guess what, the student body eventually become graduates with deep pockets. What percentage of those graduates actually donate to the athletics? Enough said.
but you know when they look at that fruit the ones on the top look bigger and better to them. :)

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
but you know when they look at that fruit the ones on the top look bigger and better to them. :)
Collins and company should take the reins and incentivize the heck out of getting all the students to the games. He’s a marketing genius, if he plans on sticking around a while he should realize that the real target of his branding should be the student body.

They love to tout how many millionaire graduates we have. You’d think it be a no brainer to try to cultivate that to your advantage. The investment is now, the payoff is later, but the payoff could be huge.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Collins and company should take the reins and incentivize the heck out of getting all the students to the games. He’s a marketing genius, if he plans on sticking around a while he should realize that the real target of his branding should be the student body.

They love to tout how many millionaire graduates we have. You’d think it be a no brainer to try to cultivate that to your advantage. The investment is now, the payoff is later, but the payoff could be huge.
I thought he was working on bring in the students, not that I really know but what I have read in the paper.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Wife writes for compny that consults w Alumni association. The company assists them in data analytics for increasing donations. One major Key is to brand the request w something the donor remembers as fun / life changing while in school.
Gtaa has to make bds fun and memorable. Then stay in touch w What's going on - cgc is right on track.
7 years from now - his young givers that start now could out give (% and small $) the so called semi rich gt grads.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
IIRC, I read somewhere one time that 8% of GT grads give back to athletics and 35% give back to the school part of the school. Given how good our reputation in academics is and all the advantages there, I really wish more people would think about putting their money where we have significant opportunity for improvement. Honestly there's no reason to give 4.5x the money to the part that doesn't need it over the part that does.
Who has the list of ga tech grads?
AA = yes
GTAA = NO
This year at 50th they want us to raise 15,000,000 for school. The big party at Football Homecoming and in large baquet hall of south end zone. School raising money on back of Gtaa football.
At both orange bowls the AA and prez have partt. At last one i asked Irwin (AA) how the donations are going and he just gave a very big smile.

Later i found out that Gtaa has no """ list""" and shifted all but nominal giving to GTAA.
By way the Gt endowment is way up over last 10 years while Gtaa is (as Augusta has been saying) falling way behind other schools in financials. The net present value has to be disgraceful.

Why we fell for "pay coaches lowest " and build 220,000,000 is bizarre.

ADs since Homer Rice have been a spiral down till Tstan. Will he get tech men giving at rate of texas aggies ? They give per living grad at 6 times the rate of gt.
He is at least headed in that direction.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
The school can only provide 10% of the revenue of the athletic department by GA regulations.(School funds, academic endowments, student fees, even facilities use/maintenance/grounds workers, etc.) In 2017, those provided about $7.8 million out of a regulation maximum of $8.1 million. It wouldn't matter if the endowment of the GT Foundation was as large as that of Harvard, they can't provide more money to the athletic department.

Thanks, I didn’t know the restriction existed. Now I would ask why it exists? I mean I would assume the school can best decide where they want their money, but I guess that’s a conservative thought process.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Thanks, I didn’t know the restriction existed. Now I would ask why it exists? I mean I would assume the school can best decide where they want their money, but I guess that’s a conservative thought process.

Maybe because the primary purposes of the 26 public institutions in the University System of Georgia are education and research.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Maybe because the primary purposes of the 26 public institutions in the University System of Georgia are education and research.
I think the knight commission data base would give u specifics.

BUT the point is that we can't look to govt to bail us out.
Govt s to athletics ( million)
Uga =0
GT = 2 .3
Fsu = 0
Uva=0
Ncst =1.4
Unc =1.8
U of l = 3.4
CLEMSON = 5.5

DONATIONS
UGA =55
GT = 11
TICKETS
UGA 29
GT 12
CONFERENCE
UGA =48
GT =29.

GOT TO GET MORE DONATIONS AND TICKET SALES.
Uga has us by a factor of 4!!

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer

But, as pointed out by iceeater1969 above, they often have a huge change of heart when they want to saddle up to the athletic teams to raise money.

Their hypocrisy is overcome by the fact that winning sports teams raise more money for the entire school as compared to some nerd winning a Noble for discovering why ants fart.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

I'm not sure about the discussion when the restrictions first were put in. It was in the news a few years ago when Ga State and KSU started their football program. The Regents lowered the allowed subsidy for FCS and DII schools at that time. Many, if not a majority, or students at those two schools were very upset that they were paying very high athletic fees to start football programs. Those funds weren't coming from a foundation, they were coming from the students. There aren't many schools in GA with $2 billion endowments. In the majority of schools, school funds for athletics are either going to be paid for by the students or the tax payers.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
I hope you're not serious
Serious about what? There is a reason schools like Duke spend as much on athletics as they do. $$ and raising the bar for applicants. Successful sports programs generate interest, applications and donors all around for the school. I saw it first hand while working there in the 80s.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Serious about what? There is a reason schools like Duke spend as much on athletics as they do. $$ and raising the bar for applicants. Successful sports programs generate interest, applications and donors all around for the school. I saw it first hand while working there in the 80s.
It’s really amazing we fundamentally fail to appreciate the interrelationships of multi-million dollar enterprises and their synergistic effects. Is the myopia from Engineer’s disciplines being so narrow and individualistic & not primarily team oriented like other endeavors? Maybe it’s the right/wrong nature of our craft and we can’t effectively rationalize the grey? I really do not know.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
It’s really amazing we fundamentally fail to appreciate the interrelationships of multi-million dollar enterprises and their synergistic effects. Is the myopia from Engineer’s disciplines being so narrow and individualistic & not primarily team oriented like other endeavors? Maybe it’s the right/wrong nature of our craft and we can’t effectively rationalize the grey? I really do not know.

Or maybe it goes to actual evidence. Those who say that sports brings in more money and applicants to schools cite anecdotal evidence of a school who has recently had success and has recently grown. However, they ignore evidence of schools who haven't been in championship games who have also grown. GT's applications and quality of applications are at an all time high. GT is building and expanding across 75/85. Is that due to recent football/basketball championships? Is the growth and high application level at most schools due to pressure to have a degree and loose college loan lending?

I am not convinced that sports does not have an impact, but I haven't seen any actual study that makes that conclusion. I have seen forum posts and national sports media stories that cite anecdotal evidence of success without a comparison to average growth rates across all schools.