Contract details for Georgia Tech's Geoff Collins & coaching staff

GTFLETCH

Banned
Coach Collins’ 10 assistants will make a total of $3,205,000, which is $205,000 more than he will make this season.The $3.2 million pool is an increase from Johnson’s salary pool of $2.8 million for the 2018 season.

HC - Geoff Collins - 3M
OL/RGC - Brent Key - 600K
DC - Andrew Thacker - 450K
OC - Dave Patenaude - 400K
S - Nathan Burton - 325K
TE - Chris Wiesehan - 300K
WR - Kerry Dixon - 235K
DE/OLB - Marco Coleman - 230K
CB - Jeff Popovich - 230K
RB - Tashard Choice - 225K
DL - Larry Knight - 210K

Link
https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...ollins-coaching-staff/Tpog8bV9vJptZtIl4JISJP/

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I know people will disagree with me but if we don't pay better for the assistant coaches they will not be here long. I may be wrong but wasn't Roof making more? I know we have to wait till after the first season to raise their pay. But I do believe these coaches are working long and hard hours. But it don't want to lose 2 or 3 coaches every year

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I know people will disagree with me but if we don't pay better for the assistant coaches they will not be here long. I may be wrong but wasn't Roof making more? I know we have to wait till after the first season to raise their pay. But I do believe these coaches are working long and hard hours. But it don't want to lose 2 or 3 coaches every year

I believe Roof had been bumped up to about 800k, if I remember correctly. So basically what our OC and DC make combined. That said, Thacker is a young DC and Patenaude is unproven at this level. If they do well, we will definitely have to give them significant raises in a couple of years. No doubt those are bargain contracts for coordinators. We did need a couple hundred thousand extra to lure Key, and that may have come from the rest of the pool.

It seems like our coaching staff is largely on "show me" contracts but you are absolutely right that we are going to have to spend significantly more if they have success. TStan has to be laser focused on raising money right now.

Last edited:

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
I believe Roof had been bumped up to about 800k, if I remember correctly. So basically what our OC and DC make combined. That said, Thacker is a young DC and Patenaude is unproven at this level. If they do well, we will definitely have to give them significant raises in a couple of years. No doubt those are bargain contracts for coordinators. We did need a couple hundred thousand to lure Key, I bet.
However I believe it must speak to how much the assistants must believe in Collins. I also think it speaks to Collins ability to sell the opportunity of coaching on the Flats and holding them to the same standards as the ones they preach to players and recruits “earn everything and results based” program. So if the coaches can produce the desired results then they will have earned the opportunity to garner larger salaries. Desired results =more not more money upfront, long contracts, and large severance penalties. We shall see what the year brings and who “wins” on these contracts.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I believe Roof had been bumped up to about 800k, if I remember correctly. So basically what our OC and DC make combined. That said, Thacker is a young DC and Patenaude is unproven at this level. If they do well, we will definitely have to give them significant raises in a couple of years. No doubt those are bargain contracts for coordinators. We did need a couple hundred thousand extra to lure Key, and that may have come from the rest of the pool.

It seems like our coaching staff is largely on "show me" contracts but you are absolutely right that we are going to have to spend significantly more if they have success. TStan has to be laser focused on raising money right now.
Here’s to hoping those guys make Tstan’s job harder!

Deleted member 2897

The rest of P5 - like literally everybody - pays more than we do. We’re literally almost dead last.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The rest of P5 - like literally everybody - pays more than we do. We’re literally almost dead last.
Is it relevant that as of 2017 via knight commission data base our debt payment (12mm) is more than our donations (11mm)?
Come on acc network money.

Last edited:

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Yes. Too bad, that.

So what did they come?

• Some came with coach and (probably, does anyone know?) got a raise

• Some came because they saw a chance for themselves (Key) and probably got promised more going forward.

• Some came because of the old school tie and because it promised a chance for advancement (Colman, Choice)

What it comes down to is that we picked up a promising staff for n0t a whole lot of money. And we had better be ready to pony up in the future, no matter what happens.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
They win, we get more money flowing through the program, they can get raises. Simple as that.

Now
Lowest staff budget, highest academic standards, smallest course offerings, mandatory calculus, and small crowds and highest debt - 220,000,000. Didnt cause winning at a rate for OPTIMISM

Currently running an even bigger deficit hoping for an up tic.

Time to pony up is coming.

LibertyTurns

Banned
My thoughts exactly. I thought hiring this staff depleted our “rainy day fund” or whatever it’s called.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You’re correct. Not saying it’s a bad thing because it’s the correct move in my opinion, but we’ve gone all in. What other way should we have gone? I think we’re at the proverbial fork in the road. GT football is either going to be left behind for a very long time or we’re going have to try to compete like everyone else. I say let’s go, we just need to be smarter than them because we will not do well in a straight up head to head fight unless we’ve generated our own advantages using good old GT skills.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
You’re correct. Not saying it’s a bad thing because it’s the correct move in my opinion, but we’ve gone all in. What other way should we have gone? I think we’re at the proverbial fork in the road. GT football is either going to be left behind for a very long time or we’re going have to try to compete like everyone else. I say let’s go, we just need to be smarter than them because we will not do well in a straight up head to head fight unless we’ve generated our own advantages using good old GT skills.

I agree, but my comment was referring to the depletion of the rainy day fund. I thought the fund was $6 m, give or take. If the new staff costs us “only” $400 k more than the old staff, where did we spend the other $5.6 m?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I agree, but my comment was referring to the depletion of the rainy day fund. I thought the fund was $6 m, give or take. If the new staff costs us “only” $400 k more than the old staff, where did we spend the other $5.6 m?

The overall salary pool was increased. CGC was given the choice on how to split it up. Apparently he is paying some of the support staff quite well also.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

CPJ had a payoff even for retiring in his contract. Some of the assistants(not sure of how many) were under two year contracts, so they had to be paid for 2019. It is possible that some of the previous support staff were paid severance. Temple had to be paid a buyout for hiring CGC. That is at least a large chunk of the money.

EDIT: I just looked up the Temple buyout. GT paid Temple $2.5 million as a buyout for CGC.