Film Room Confuse the Offense

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
They did not do this every snap... I'll post more at some point. I found this play interesting. I looked at the Box score stats versus GTvWF and App was better in all stats but yards per run.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Very informative thread. Thanks to Longest for starting it and the rest of you for the observations.

And, yes, we'd have a quick snap dive ready and waiting for any team that tried this. So nobody would. As for our D this year and these shenanigans … well, we'll see soon enough.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Certainly for us our run attack is primed to take advantage of a DL which is caught off-guard, although there is pre-snap motion on nearly every play. We do vary timing of the actual snap, but it gives them some ability to be certain that they're in the right alignment, and we have seen teams try to disrupt us by lining up one way and then shifting to another alignment after. It doesn't exactly work, but I think there may be some deterrent effect as we huddle and use motion, so our time to audible into a better play is sometimes short.

I wonder, here, though, if through scouting Woody had a reasonable idea that Wake wouldn't be prepared to quick snap it. Or at least enough confidence to try it out.

Animal02

Banned
Very informative thread. Thanks to Longest for starting it and the rest of you for the observations.

And, yes, we'd have a quick snap dive ready and waiting for any team that tried this. So nobody would. As for our D this year and these shenanigans … well, we'll see soon enough.
One difference is our QB is under center vs 5 yds in the backfield

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
All I’m saying is notice the space the DBs are giving, Roof would get slammed for that.

Maybe, but only on a completed pass for a first down. lol it's genius when it works and stupid when it doesn't.

I will say, they don't backpedal hard - they're all drifting back and waiting on the route to break off, and each DB drives on his man. That's a very contested completion to any WR and all you can ask for on a 3rd and long like that.

Overall I think they have great communication and play better team defense than we did last year.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
Not to belabor the point. But I have caught balls by a future NFL quarterback. And an All-State HS quarterback.

A thirty yard throw is a rope if they can step into a throw.

Back in the day, I did some summer workouts with David Whitehurst who ended up playing with the Packers. At 20 yards, the laces cut my hands stopping the ball. It was a blast catching his "fastballs". No joke, my hands hurt afterwards.

My point being, that a throw to the far sideline, is not out of the question depending on the ability of the quarterbacks arm. And obviously timing.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Not to belabor the point. But I have caught balls by a future NFL quarterback. And an All-State HS quarterback.

A thirty yard throw is a rope if they can step into a throw.

Back in the day, I did some summer workouts with David Whitehurst who ended up playing with the Packers. At 20 yards, the laces cut my hands stopping the ball. It was a blast catching his "fastballs". No joke, my hands hurt afterwards.

My point being, that a throw to the far sideline, is not out of the question depending on the ability of the quarterbacks arm. And obviously timing.

Dude. How many QBs in a given season playing NCAA ball do you think will end up playing QB in the league? Maybe 10 or 15 a year get drafted. There are 32 teams in the league and guess what. Starting quarterbacks last a lot longer than 2-3 years. So saying a single QB who ended up playing in the league invalidates the scheme of a coach who was playing against a specific team in a specific scenario is a bit of a stretch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ETA I have admittedly been drinking bourbon while buying every piece of adidas gear I can find with a “tech gold”, or “sand” as the cool kids are apparently calling it, GT on it so I could be at a 8 when I need to be at a 3 and apologies in advance if needed.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
All I’m saying is notice the space the DBs are giving, Roof would get slammed for that.
It’s not about the space, it’s about how they play with the space given. The DB’s allowed the WR’s to get on them instead of keeping a huge cushion. Ibeebalin talked about this earlier in the thread. However, some that don’t know what’s going on would complain like you said lol.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Both safeties are not 30-40 yards from the LOS with no WR near them. Only one safety back peddled and allowed the receiver to close his own distance.

The same with the CB. They new where the sticks were and allowed the receivers to close the gap.

I’ll look for a 3rd and 4 pass play to post to see how they play. If they are protecting 10-20 yards versus the sticks, then you have a point.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Sidewalk, if posting was restricted to those with knowledge in the subject matter, the message boards as we know them would cease to exist.;)
Heck, the INTERNET as we know it would cease to exist.

But now that you mention it, that might not be a bad idea.....hmmmm.......