Film Room Confuse the Offense

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I didn’t see anybody wide open. There was a safety over top the guy streaking down the middle. The guys that you could throw to had pretty good coverage. A good throw will beat the coverage, but it’s a tough throw.(Rusher coming from every direction and Disguised pre snap coverage )

Add to that the QB never looked comfortable in the pocket, serious case of happy feet!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Some context here: Wake's offensive FEI that season was 29 (we were #23). App State held Wake to their second lowest point total (20) of the season outside of their game against Clemson (14 points). Game was at App State. BTW, we held Wake to 24 points at home that season.

IMO, that's more of a coverage sack than anything to do with the front 7 and their movement pre snap. I counted 4 seconds (4 mississippi!!!) before the QB started tap dancing...five if he was more savvy to step into the pocket and keep his eyes up field. Still, right slot receiver had bracket coverage with the safety shaded to that side over the top. Right WR was doing an out, and that would have been a 20+/- yard throw from the far hash...which you'd have to have an NFL caliber arm to even think about. CB was close enough to break on the ball or intercept. Smart not to throw it. The left WR had double coverage after the SS peeled down to the flats.

I have no idea what Wake was running, but knowing that the FS was playing over the top, and the slot was running a skinny post....outside LB had coverage on the TE. Could have audibled for RB to leak out to the flats for a 5 yard. Of course, way easier to see after the fact sitting behind a computer screen!

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

Watch the DBs and how they play on 3rd down and don’t go no more than 2 yds pass the sticks.

When I went to Spring practice and the scrimmage, DB dropping to the sticks and think pass was the emphasis. Instead of bailing hard like under Roof, the DBs are playing what we use to call “catch technique”. They are sliding like a wing defender in basketball and in position to jump a route knowing we are sending pressure upfront. This will lead to a lot PBUs and INTs, only downside is we may give up a draw play on 3rd & 15

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Some context here: Wake's offensive FEI that season was 29 (we were #23). App State held Wake to their second lowest point total (20) of the season outside of their game against Clemson (14 points). Game was at App State. BTW, we held Wake to 24 points at home that season.

IMO, that's more of a coverage sack than anything to do with the front 7 and their movement pre snap. I counted 4 seconds (4 mississippi!!!) before the QB started tap dancing...five if he was more savvy to step into the pocket and keep his eyes up field. Still, right slot receiver had bracket coverage with the safety shaded to that side over the top. Right WR was doing an out, and that would have been a 20+/- yard throw from the far hash...which you'd have to have an NFL caliber arm to even think about. CB was close enough to break on the ball or intercept. Smart not to throw it. The left WR had double coverage after the SS peeled down to the flats.

I have no idea what Wake was running, but knowing that the FS was playing over the top, and the slot was running a skinny post....outside LB had coverage on the TE. Could have audibled for RB to leak out to the flats for a 5 yard. Of course, way easier to see after the fact sitting behind a computer screen!

That’s what happen when you can’t get a presnap read

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
Didn't Groh have this kind of movement?

I think he experimented occasionally with the stand up front 7, but there wasn't nearly that level of movement. APP was late getting lined up after the audible, and still got to the QB (although the coverage was there). Helps being in 3rd and 10 too....

I didn’t see anybody wide open. There was a safety over top the guy streaking down the middle. The guys that you could throw to had pretty good coverage. A good throw will beat the coverage, but it’s a tough throw.(Rusher coming from every direction and Disguised pre snap coverage )

A simple out pass to the guy at the top of the screen is an easy completion. that guy is WFO

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
He had his X & Y WRs wide open.
We looking at two different things. The safety was over the top, so the guy streaking on a go route had someone underneath and over the top. Both of the other guys had decently tight coverage and would have taken a near perfect pass and the far side throw would have been near impossible unless he had an arm like arron Rodgers, that throw can allow a BD to brake on the ball real fast even if the WR looks open. The WR on the short side of the field also had a LB breaking on the underneath while the CB played over the top.