Conference Realignment

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
The company I work with is almost all Tech guys. It’s a small company and there are 7 Tech grads that I know of, including me. I believe I’m the only one who thinks about football. I’m one of two who even wear GT gear. One of them even asked once if everything I own has a GT on it. Only one other guy ever wears anything with a GT on it. Every one of them is making a whole lot of money.
Work the room. Give out free GT stuff:buzz::gt::buzz:

Lots of luck. GT is not a “normal” student body and many young Alumni have no interest is sports. Maybe you can get them hooked gambling seeing if they can beat the odds

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Would or could all this that’s happening with college football eventually be pushed down to high school football too? Making the student athletes of HS being paid and being employees of the school? If so, when does it stop?

I have no idea, but was just wondering if it was a possibility
I think it less likely. State labor laws for minors would become a controlling factor.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
I've worked with numerous Tech grads over the years. They rarely follow Tech football. Some do, but the majority couldn't care less.
You need better work friends....

I Love You Friends GIF by Acorn TV

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
That group exists as well, but I'm more talking about the portion of alumni who don't have any interest in football, which is a significant chunk. I interviewed a recent Tech grad the other week who was the stereotypical Tech nerd - very smart, and very into things like cosplay and DragonCon. I asked him if he watched Tech this past season and he said no, he has no interest in football. Battlebots and jousting at the Renaissance Fair were more up his alley. There are tons of alumni who, like him, have zero interest in football in general, and you are going to be pretty hard-pressed to get them interested, much less donating to Tech football.
And I hired a recent PhD grad, who also fits the stereotype, who got his undergraduate at a PAC12 school. He was all about GT football. You're going to find those who aren't interested in the school sports everywhere. I'd say it's no worse at GT than anywhere else. I will, however, agree that the international students tend to be professional students, with no interest in sports, at all.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
And I hired a recent PhD grad, who also fits the stereotype, who got his undergraduate at a PAC12 school. He was all about GT football. You're going to find those who aren't interested in the school sports everywhere. I'd say it's no worse at GT than anywhere else. I will, however, agree that the international students tend to be professional students, with no interest in sports, at all.
It’s no worse than anywhere else? I think that is demonstrably false by looking at the student sections. When my child was at UGA, they didn’t get tickets to every game , yet that section was always full.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
It’s no worse than anywhere else? I think that is demonstrably false by looking at the student sections. When my child was at UGA, they didn’t get tickets to every game , yet that section was always full.
What's the size of the student population on campus? How many more fraternities does uga have than Tech? Comparing the two isn't apples to apples. I remember when the student sections were block seating only for both football and basketball, and if you didn't have a way into that block, you couldn't get into the games.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Correction: Those were away games. She got tickets to all the home games.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
What's the size of the student population on campus? How many more fraternities does uga have than Tech? Comparing the two isn't apples to apples. I remember when the student sections were block seating only for both football and basketball, and if you didn't have a way into that block, you couldn't get into the games.
How long ago was that?

If you’ve ever been on the UGA campus as a parent, you see it pretty clearly. It’s anecdotal and intuitive, but until you show me the numbers, I’ll stick to my position.

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow
That group exists as well, but I'm more talking about the portion of alumni who don't have any interest in football, which is a significant chunk. I interviewed a recent Tech grad the other week who was the stereotypical Tech nerd - very smart, and very into things like cosplay and DragonCon. I asked him if he watched Tech this past season and he said no, he has no interest in football. Battlebots and jousting at the Renaissance Fair were more up his alley. There are tons of alumni who, like him, have zero interest in football in general, and you are going to be pretty hard-pressed to get them interested, much less donating to Tech football.
Perhaps encourage these types to cosplay to football games. Everybody considers us nerds already, let us just embrace the fact and flaunt it. And maybe sell tickets.

How different would it really be than some of the guff I have seen people wearing to NFL games?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Perhaps encourage these types to cosplay to football games. Everybody considers us nerds already, let us just embrace the fact and flaunt it. And maybe sell tickets.

How different would it really be than some of the guff I have seen people wearing to NFL games?
Seriously. This is actually a good idea.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure how you can say it's no worse at Tech than anywhere else while simultaneously excluding the international students, they are a significant portion of the campus population. If you don't think the average Tech student is nerdier and thus less likely to be interested in athletics than surrounding schools, I can only think you have not been on campus and spent time around undergrads there in some time. Tech attracts nerds, period.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure how you can say it's no worse at Tech than anywhere else while simultaneously excluding the international students, they are a significant portion of the campus population. If you don't think the average Tech student is nerdier and thus less likely to be interested in athletics than surrounding schools, I can only think you have not been on campus and spent time around undergrads there in some time. Tech attracts nerds, period.
I don't subscribe to the theory that being nerdy means you're not into sports. I know tons of nerdy people who are deeply into spectator sports. I'd suggest that non-technical students (Fine Arts, Performing Arts, Humanities. Creative Writing, Modern and Ancient Languages, etc.) tend to be less inclined toward sports than the nerdy engineering and science types. This is just my experience.

By the way, the international undergraduate population is 8.8%. I wouldn't call that a significant portion of the campus population.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
FSU has 400,000 alumni. They generate more in Seminole donations than ticket revenue. I recall that GT has 100,000 or so. Tall order.

Imo, its not the numbers, its the attitude of Tech men who were glad to get out. What they learned ( think & work hard) lead to good income and NEVER BEING LAID OFF.
Like indicsted above Batt needs a broad based money program thats positive, has contests, rewards , etc. Must get gt grads within 100 miles coming and donating.
MUST STOP ACTING LIKE WE ARE BETTER THAN OTHER COLLEGE GRADS.

Long term , I hope our new prez can work some state politics to help us with debt and a better course offering.
Stanford's new coach on recruiting accn said starting "Salary for Stanford grads over 200k". We dont need a general lowering of rigor.

Here are couple of personal examples of other schools.
My dental hygienist is an FSU alum who married an other FSU alumn. They are solid middle upper class working couple. She talks all thing FSU sports and they drive 150 miles to every fsu game.

Dentist is U Fla booster. Yesterday he asked if i was giving to NIL. He isnt doing it yet either. He knows a booster ( real estate) that flys to every game and sits behind the coach at every game. The booster went 1 year to UF butdjust donated 12$million to NIL. I am sure its prorated.

Owner of boat canvas store best friend is a mega donor to fsu sports. His friend attended fsu but dropped out and became successful in selling cars - loved FSU - then his business got big. He gave so much that he has helped fund hire the coaching changes. The coaches (not norvel ) called him post game to chat.

Non college grad buddy who grew up nesr TAM, started a paint store in north houston. Houston gre north he has 8 stores all the way to TAM. Boster and season tivkrts.

Guy who grew up near baylor, started a trucking delivery company. He took a risk and gave sole source to a new compny moving into his area. The company , Wal-Mart, bought him out. He like the Baylor kids, he funded the lion saher of thier stadium.

Chip and Jo Ann were frindds of my son and his wife. My kids have PHDs andcteach at baylor. Chip and jo ann sit in prez booth.

I think its going to be fun. Lets look at its as "an opportunity to embrace the chaos".

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Not sure I follow your thinking. Every school you mentioned is in the Top 30 highest in average viewers per week. Why would you drop them? That’s the whole point of conference realignment.

As to research money, Tech is 17th nationally and No 1 in non medical research. How far higher than No 1 can you go (unless you open a medical school)?

Tech does not need athletics to ensure a growing research business. In fact, I think the only reason Tech tolerates athletics today is to avoid having to deal with the massive debt that the AA has. If the State of GA offered to absorb that, I think Tech would happily exit athletics altogether.
There seems to be more dollars to AAU schools that are in the Big10 than just AAU stand alone schools in talking with a couple other people that seem to have some knowledge of this. Certainly it is possible they and therefore myself are getting bad info.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Imo, its not the numbers, its the attitude of Tech men who were glad to get out. What they learned ( think & work hard) lead to good income and NEVER BEING LAID OFF.
Like indicsted above Batt needs a broad based money program thats positive, has contests, rewards , etc. Must get gt grads within 100 miles coming and donating.
MUST STOP ACTING LIKE WE ARE BETTER THAN OTHER COLLEGE GRADS.

Long term , I hope our new prez can work some state politics to help us with debt and a better course offering.
Stanford's new coach on recruiting accn said starting "Salary for Stanford grads over 200k". We dont need a general lowering of rigor.

Here are couple of personal examples of other schools.
My dental hygienist is an FSU alum who married an other FSU alumn. They are solid middle upper class working couple. She talks all thing FSU sports and they drive 150 miles to every fsu game.

Dentist is U Fla booster. Yesterday he asked if i was giving to NIL. He isnt doing it yet either. He knows a booster ( real estate) that flys to every game and sits behind the coach at every game. The booster went 1 year to UF butdjust donated 12$million to NIL. I am sure its prorated.

Owner of boat canvas store best friend is a mega donor to fsu sports. His friend attended fsu but dropped out and became successful in selling cars - loved FSU - then his business got big. He gave so much that he has helped fund hire the coaching changes. The coaches (not norvel ) called him post game to chat.

Non college grad buddy who grew up nesr TAM, started a paint store in north houston. Houston gre north he has 8 stores all the way to TAM. Boster and season tivkrts.

Guy who grew up near baylor, started a trucking delivery company. He took a risk and gave sole source to a new compny moving into his area. The company , Wal-Mart, bought him out. He like the Baylor kids, he funded the lion saher of thier stadium.

Chip and Jo Ann were frindds of my son and his wife. My kids have PHDs andcteach at baylor. Chip and jo ann sit in prez booth.

I think its going to be fun. Lets look at its as "an opportunity to embrace the chaos".
I see a lot of embracing non-Tech alums in the area in your comments. That's a tough sell for GT because we are quite proud of what we've accomplished and mostly piss on non-alum. Many non-alum on here can attest to the veracity of this.

Tommy_Taylor_1972

GT Athlete
I see a lot of embracing non-Tech alums in the area in your comments. That's a tough sell for GT because we are quite proud of what we've accomplished and mostly piss on non-alum. Many non-alum on here can attest to the veracity of this.
And I know a Georgia Tech legacy family who, with their name previously on a Tech athletic facility, has called the president and the athletic director wanting to give millions of $$ and do not get a call back. A missed opportunity. Maybe alumni money is not what they are interested in as much, maybe corporate donors are more bucks.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
And I know a Georgia Tech legacy family who, with their name previously on a Tech athletic facility, has called the president and the athletic director wanting to give millions of $$ and do not get a call back. A missed opportunity. Maybe alumni money is not what they are interested in as much, maybe corporate donors are more bucks.
As I recall, the GTAA was the only Tech organization not required to have a formal development (donating) plan with goals, objectives, and staffing.

Just like Bud said, “My only obligation to GT athletics is to name the Athletic Director.”