Conference Realignment

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
There seems to be more dollars to AAU schools that are in the Big10 than just AAU stand alone schools in talking with a couple other people that seem to have some knowledge of this. Certainly it is possible they and therefore myself are getting bad info.
A lot of those schools are heavy into medical research, which is 25% of all research.

I don’t know of many research contracts that require funding to go to an institution just because it’s in one athletic conference or another.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
And I know a Georgia Tech legacy family who, with their name previously on a Tech athletic facility, has called the president and the athletic director wanting to give millions of $$ and do not get a call back. A missed opportunity. Maybe alumni money is not what they are interested in as much, maybe corporate donors are more bucks.
Is that with the current president or a former president? These are shameful stories.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
A lot of those schools are heavy into medical research, which is 25% of all research.

I don’t know of many research contracts that require funding to go to an institution just because it’s in one athletic conference or another.
I think the AAU schools in the B1G strategically collaborate to increase intercollegiate research opportunities.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure how you can say it's no worse at Tech than anywhere else while simultaneously excluding the international students, they are a significant portion of the campus population. If you don't think the average Tech student is nerdier and thus less likely to be interested in athletics than surrounding schools, I can only think you have not been on campus and spent time around undergrads there in some time. Tech attracts nerds, period.
Add to that Tech accepts Nerds as they tend to have much higher grades and test scores!

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer

Thus the joint efforts of Emory and GT that started before GT became AAU had a lot to do with why GT finally became an AAU member IMO. Yet it does seem that the Big 10 schools receive on average more research dollars per institution than non Big 10 AAU institutions from what I have gotten from people connected with Big 10 schools, maybe they're wrong in what they say, that I don't know. In conversations with some people around ATL about just this subject most feel AAU is very political and the giant in the political part of it strongly appears to be the combined Big 10 schools. Maybe that has something to do with your "athletic conference or another" comment, don't know. Sounds like you may work in academia or have in the past? IMO Presidents of higher education institutions are really politicians.
I found the comments of the University of Utah regarding the folding of the Pac 12 and their not being invited to the Big 10 very compelling to what I'm trying to say. First, Utah is and was at the time already an AAU school., please note that. Their comment that the big loss was the added research revenue that they would not get by not being invited to the Big 10 and dropping out of the Pac 12 which had more AAU schools than any other conference besides the Big10, even though Utah would continue to be an AAU school. Their comments at the time indicated revenue from sports was a drop in the bucket to the added revenue from AAU research that would have been received. That was a confirmation of what others had told me.
For me I still continue to believe different from what I think you are trying to say based on what has been said, I've read, and conversations I've had, but certainly you're entitled to your opinion however you want to go with it, I'm not going to try to convince you otherwise. I've been wrong before and am open to being wrong on this. Just the evidence I have so far says to me what I have been saying throughout this thread.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
The family mentioned it.
I seriously doubt a family that has given millions of dollars in the past and is apparently ready to cut another 7 figure check was ghosted by GT. Unless the family name has serious issues in public perception, I don’t believe this is true. That, or they believe because they give money they should have power within the athletic program, and the current administration is telling them they aren’t interested in their cash if they’re going to cause problems with authority.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
By the way, the international undergraduate population is 8.8%. I wouldn't call that a significant portion of the campus population.
The campus population is not just undergrads and the grad percentage is far higher, but either way that is not an insignificant portion. For comparison, uga has 4.4% of their total students as international. Of the 6000+ freshman they have coming, only 84 are from outside the US.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The campus population is not just undergrads and the grad percentage is far higher, but either way that is not an insignificant portion. For comparison, uga has 4.4% of their total students as international. Of the 6000+ freshman they have coming, only 84 are from outside the US.
From all I've read, the undergraduate population is the primary loyal group holding ties to the athletics programs and tends to care more. So, having higher precentages in grad school isn't really germane to the conversation, in my opinion.

uga is a 2nd rate university [tic] out in the sticks. If not for their football team and their large animal veterinary programs, no one would know they existed. It doesn't surprise me that the international population is so low. But seriously, 8.8% is pretty low for universities in cities. USC 27.1% International, UCLA 12%, Stanford 14%, Cal 16.2, Notre Dame 11%, Ohio State 9.1%, Michigan 13.9%, Washington 14.2%, Miami 13.3%, Northwestern 22% (total), Houston 9.4%, Arizona State 19.4%, Texas 8.3%, Maryland 10%, BC 10.5%, Vandy 10.3%, Minnesota 10.0%. These were the urban campuses I could think of quickly. ND is not urban, but it's well-known enough...

Last edited:

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
And I know a Georgia Tech legacy family who, with their name previously on a Tech athletic facility, has called the president and the athletic director wanting to give millions of $$ and do not get a call back. A missed opportunity. Maybe alumni money is not what they are interested in as much, maybe corporate donors are more bucks.
This is both disappointing and irresponsible from a leadership perspective.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
From all I've read, the undergraduate population is the primary loyal group holding ties to the athletics programs and tends to care more. So, having higher precentages in grad school isn't really germane to the conversation, in my opinion.

uga is a 2nd rate university [tic] out in the sticks. If not for their football team and their large animal veterinary programs, no one would know they existed. It doesn't surprise me that the international population is so low. But seriously, 8.8% is pretty low for universities in cities. USC 27.1% International, UCLA 12%, Stanford 14%, Cal 16.2, Notre Dame 11%, Ohio State 9.1%, Michigan 13.9%, Washington 14.2%, Miami 13.3%, Northwestern 22% (total). These were the urban campuses I could think of quickly. ND is not urban, but it's well-known enough...
And yet your first response to my initial comment was about a phd student...

8.8% is still a significant portion of the undergrad student population, other schools having a higher percentage doesn't change that.

Also should probably check your numbers - just looking at your first pick of USC, 27.1% is for the entire student population, not undergrad. Their freshman class is 17% international, and I'd imagine the other undergrad classes are similar - collegefactual suggests the undergrad international percentage to be 13.4%.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
And yet your first response to my initial comment was about a phd student...

8.8% is still a significant portion of the undergrad student population, other schools having a higher percentage doesn't change that.

Also should probably check your numbers - just looking at your first pick of USC, 27.1% is for the entire student population, not undergrad. Their freshman class is 17% international, and I'd imagine the other undergrad classes are similar - collegefactual suggests the undergrad international percentage to be 13.4%.
LOL, that was in response to your comment about hiring people from Tech. There are outliers everywhere. I don't know if 8.8% is high or low relative to spectator sports participation, but just saying our high international population is what is hurting GT is a false narrative.

As for the last part, see below. Like I said, a quick google search...even if it is 13.4%, that half again as much as GT, which was the only point I'm making. We're no different (or mostly less) than other campuses in similar locations.

1707705955811.png

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
LOL, that was in response to your comment about hiring people from Tech. There are outliers everywhere. I don't know if 8.8% is high or low relative to spectator sports participation, but just saying our high international population is what is hurting GT is a false narrative.

As for the last part, see below. Like I said, a quick google search...even if it is 13.4%, that half again as much as GT, which was the only point I'm making. We're no different (or mostly less) than other campuses in similar locations.

View attachment 15730
My original comment was not about hiring people from Tech, it was about the current/recent student population's value of Tech football, I just referenced someone I interviewed. You brought up the outlier phd student.

"Student Demographics - All" means not just undergrad. That data is directly from USC's website, but does not match the google question, google just thinks it does.

Back to your original list, almost every school listed has either far larger undergrad enrollment than Tech or is dog doodoo at football. Regardless, nobody said it is solely the international population hurting GT, but to act like its not a significant contributing factor is just silly.