Conference Realignment

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
One of the talking point this year of the committee was trying to avoid another UGA v TCU blowout. If you have 1v16, 2v15, 3v14, and 4v13, you're going to get a lot of blowouts.

I think most would agree you typically have 1 to 3 really good teams, then you have the next batch 4 to 7/8. No one really thinks teams 9 and above are in the same class. However, by including 9 through 12, you can have 4 weeks of college football. 4 games, 4 games, 2 games, 1 game.
1-4 seeds get byes. 5v12, 6v11, 7v10, 8v9. Upsets happen. Close games happens. Blowouts happen. Money is Money and that's all that matters nowadays.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
1-4 seeds get byes. 5v12, 6v11, 7v10, 8v9. Upsets happen. Close game happens. Blowouts happen. Money is Money and that's all that matters nowadays.
yes. I was talking why I like 12 teams better than 16 teams. With 12 teams you still get 4 weeks of football, but you don't have the laffers of 1v16, 2v15....Also, if you have 16 teams, you are going to have 8 games that first week. You can't really compare this to the NCAA basketball tournament because football games take twice as long.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
One of the talking point this year of the committee was trying to avoid another UGA v TCU blowout. If you have 1v16, 2v15, 3v14, and 4v13, you're going to get a lot of blowouts.

The semis last year were both super-entertaining games:

42-41 (1) UGA over (4) tOSU
51-45 (3) TCU over (2) Michigan

Nothing wrong with that field. The 4 seed playing the 1 seed closer than the 3 seed isn't something you can plan around.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer

I think most would agree you typically have 1 to 3 really good teams, then you have the next batch 4 to 7/8. No one really thinks teams 9 and above are in the same class. However, by including 9 through 12, you can have 4 weeks of college football. 4 games, 4 games, 2 games, 1 game.
Clemson blew out Alabama when Bama was ranked #1. Blowouts happen in college football. The committee is idiotic if what they think will happen on paper is the only reason to include a team. Might as well just go back to letting the polls declare them at the end of the year.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
The CFP is a growth business. So far the progression has been 2-4-12-? Wouldn’t be surprised to eventually see 32 teams, arranged like the NCAA’s with a North and South 1v16 seed, etc. May not make for the best games, but ESPN doesn’t care as long as they get enough additional eyeballs to sell ads.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer

I wonder why we never heard about avoiding blowouts after Clemson beat Ohio State by 31 points or LSU beat Oklahoma by 35. Blowouts happen in college football. There is no real way to avoid them. Trying to avoid them is code for keeping the teams out that don't get as many TV viewers.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
The CFP is a growth business. So far the progression has been 2-4-12-? Wouldn’t be surprised to eventually see 32 teams, arranged like the NCAA’s with a North and South 1v16 seed, etc. May not make for the best games, but ESPN doesn’t care as long as they get enough additional eyeballs to sell ads.
Replace ALL the bowl games with this, it would solve a lot of the opting out stuff that we all hate

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Replace ALL the bowl games with this, it would solve a lot of the opting out stuff that we all hate
I honestly don't think so. Top tier players would start opting out of the playoffs themselves. Risking generational wealth for 1-2 games is one thing. Risking it for 5 games is quite another.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I honestly don't think so. Top tier players would start opting out of the playoffs themselves. Risking generational wealth for 1-2 games is one thing. Risking it for 5 games is quite another.
The pressure is increasing to make them employees. Participation now becomes a condition of employment.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
This issue could be addressed with revenue sharing with the players, which is likely to happen soon anyway.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I wonder why we never heard about avoiding blowouts after Clemson beat Ohio State by 31 points or LSU beat Oklahoma by 35. Blowouts happen in college football. There is no real way to avoid them. Trying to avoid them is code for keeping the teams out that don't get as many TV viewers.
For as long as I’ve been watching football I’ve seen unexpected blowouts. You hit the nail on the head.

Can you imagine excluding Alabama from a playoff because the previous year they were blown out by Clemson? It’s obviously a rhetorical question.

And what happens if the championship game this year is a blowout? Not expecting it but if it happens it puts the lie to the committee’s entire rationale for excluding FSU.

slugboy

Staff member
How can you claim Oregon is better than Washington when Washington beat them twice?
If that’s the way you’re going to rank teams, you want to rank by resume, and that puts Washington ahead of Oregon and FSU in the top three.

That argument comes up all the time in ranking systems. Fans write in saying “my team beat that team-why aren’t they ranked higher?”. The answer is that they played more than one or two games.

It’s the performance in all the games that matters when people use the word “best”. Those are the predictive scales. The losses are data points, but they aren’t the only ones, Most of the metrics have Washington and Oregon neck and neck with each other, and some would have had a top four of Michigan, Washington, Oregon, and UGA.

You can either be predictive or you can measure merit.

Edit: here’s a composite rating, as an example

Last edited:

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
If that’s the way you’re going to rank teams, you want to rank by resume, and that puts Washington ahead of Oregon and FSU in the top three.

That argument comes up all the time in ranking systems. Fans write in saying “my team beat that team-why aren’t they ranked higher?”. The answer is that they played more than one or two games.

It’s the performance in all the games that matters when people use the word “best”. Those are the predictive scales. The losses are data points, but they aren’t the only ones, Most of the metrics have Washington and Oregon neck and neck with each other, and some would have had a top four of Michigan, Washington, Oregon, and UGA.

You can either be predictive or you can measure merit.

Edit: here’s a composite rating, as an example
Hmmmm. If the metrics keep saying Oregon is better but Washington keeps beating Oregon, I think I would start questioning the metrics....but that's just me.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
The CFP should have been the top 8 conference champions from the get go. You don’t win your conference, too bad. No committee, no polls, just the champions. If your conference doesn’t have a CG, the conference picks one. Sorry, ND!
There are 11 conferences in FBS. Which 3 conferences are you leaving out and why?

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
The CFP should have been the top 8 conference champions from the get go. You don’t win your conference, too bad. No committee, no polls, just the champions. If your conference doesn’t have a CG, the conference picks one. Sorry, ND!
My sentiments exactly. Everything determined on the field with no subjective (i.e. beauty) criteria. Win and you are in.

slugboy

Staff member
Hmmmm. If the metrics keep saying Oregon is better but Washington keeps beating Oregon, I think I would start questioning the metrics....but that's just me.
We beat the teams that beat Boston College, but they beat us. Some teams don’t match up well with particular teams.