Conference Realignment

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
The CFP should have been the top 8 conference champions from the get go. You don’t win your conference, too bad. No committee, no polls, just the champions. If your conference doesn’t have a CG, the conference picks one. Sorry, ND!
There are 10 conferences. If you use the "top" 8 conferences, then there has to be a committee or polls involved to see which 2 don't get in.

FCS has a 24 team playoff with all conference champions, plus 14 at large. (Three conferences decline to send their champions fo the playoffs. 10 in playoffs, 2 in celebration bowl, 1 doesn't compete post season) That seems large to me, but you would need to get every participating conference champion in and enough at large teams to make it a viable number for a single loss tournament in order to not have a committee or polls leave out a team that has done everything required to qualify.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
There are 10 conferences. If you use the "top" 8 conferences, then there has to be a committee or polls involved to see which 2 don't get in.

FCS has a 24 team playoff with all conference champions, plus 14 at large. (Three conferences decline to send their champions fo the playoffs. 10 in playoffs, 2 in celebration bowl, 1 doesn't compete post season) That seems large to me, but you would need to get every participating conference champion in and enough at large teams to make it a viable number for a single loss tournament in order to not have a committee or polls leave out a team that has done everything required to qualify.
The idea is to eliminate all existing conferences. Create eight entirely new conferences with roughly 16 - 20 teams each and go from there. Do you think all those powerhouse teams would stay in the SEC if they truly want to complete for a national title knowing that only one (1) team from the conference will get into the tourney at the end? Would FSU continue to whine? I guess the answer is maybe - if money is more important than winning.

slugboy

Staff member
Using the transitive property, GT is better than Washington

Well, we can rank GT ahead of Clemson and UGA and FSU using transitive wins :p

Edit: oh, wow, that site does margin of victory comparisons, to rank us ahead of undefeated teams. That’s funny

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
The idea is to eliminate all existing conferences. Create eight entirely new conferences with roughly 16 - 20 teams each and go from there. Do you think all those powerhouse teams would stay in the SEC if they truly want to complete for a national title knowing that only one (1) team from the conference will get into the tourney at the end? Would FSU continue to whine? I guess the answer is maybe - if money is more important than winning.
That might be an "idea" but it will not happen. There might be a split if FBS where the top teams go to an elite division, but SEC/Big10 teams are not going to split up and share revenue with G5 or even ACC/Big12 teams. It might be an ideal solution, but it isn't a practical one.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Well, we can rank GT ahead of Clemson and UGA and FSU using transitive wins :p

Edit: oh, wow, that site does margin of victory comparisons, to rank us ahead of undefeated teams. That’s funny
Yes, if you ever want to prove to someone that transitive property isn't a valid measurement you can show them that site. In 2020 you can "prove" that 0-5 FIU was "better" than 15-0 LSU.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Not sure where to put this so….

What is everyone’s thinking about the Michigan vs Washington game?

Who do you want to win?

Who do you think will win?

Isn’t this fun for a change, having two interesting non-SEC teams in a game that you can just enjoy watching without it being some propaganda piece for ESPN?

Michigan advantages: Most physical team in the country, strong defense and balanced offense. Disadvantages: Special teams are capable of giving a game away.

Washington advantages: Perhaps the most dynamic quarterback in the nation. Speed to burn. Offense with a lot of complications for any defense to figure out. Disadvantages: Can get sloppy at times in any given phase of the game. Not quite as physical as most top teams. Defense, especially secondary, occasionally gives up the big play.

Who do you like, what do you think?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
A dominant D more often stifles a dominant O so I’m going UoM.
I’m leaning that way. Even think a timely break for Michigan could blow the game open for them in a rout.

On the other hand, they blew every chance they had to run Alabama out of the stadium so I can see their mistakes keeping this game close.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I’m leaning that way. Even think a timely break for Michigan could blow the game open for them in a rout.

On the other hand, they blew every chance they had to run Alabama out of the stadium so I can see their mistakes keeping this game close.
UoM is a plodder. I don’t look for a blowout. In fact, their plodding nature is why I think UW might find a way to outscore them.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
UoM is a plodder. I don’t look for a blowout. In fact, their plodding nature is why I think UW might find a way to outscore them.
I remember several Alabama national championships that were won by plodders who blew games open with a crushing run game and a smothering defense.

This game, to me, will demonstrate whether college football is still in the “modern era” or returning to old school approaches.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
UW burns UM with explosive plays and takes a two-score lead into the last 3 minutes, then lets UM back in the game with Cristobal-like play calling. With time expiring, UM attempts a chip-shot field goal for the win, and misses.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
We beat the teams that beat Boston College, but they beat us. Some teams don’t match up well with particular teams.
I get what you’re saying but in the case of Oregon and Washington, there is not a single impressive Oregon win that Washington doesn’t also have or better.
Washington also has a win over Arizona (Oregon didnt play them), and two wins over Oregon. I don’t see three wins on Oregon’s schedule that are as good as those three.
Means the metrics must be emphasizing some style points to get there. It’s odd, to say the least.

If I looked at the link correctly, they have Texas, ND and Bama above Washington too? :unsure: